Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Chelmsley Town - Challenge Cup

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Chelmsley Town - Challenge Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Saturday 10th October 1981
Midland Combination Challenge Cup Round 2 Replay
Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Chelmsley Town
Coleshill: Kevin Tipton.
Chelmsley: Hawker, Jenkins.

Team: Mark Hollins GK, Steve Pollack, Ron Cartwright, George Hackett, Ian Wilson, Bob Dyer, Brad Russell, Gary Jones, Kevin Tipton, Julian Sawojka, Barry Canning, Sub Roy Woolley, Robert Woodward. Confirmed.

Early pressure from Coleshill resulted in Dyer missing from just two yards out. Coleshill continued to attack but the Chelmsley Town back four were dealing well with everything the the home team threw at them. Jones had a shot scrape the crossbar. Hollins was never really tested in the Coleshill goal but after a high tackle on him in the 49th minute, Chelmsley’s Jenkins was sent off to change his studs. Coleshill continued to press forward and the visitors defence was continually under pressure.
Half Time Coleshill 0 Chelmsley 0
And then later the Sports Argus wrote
A Challenge Cup replay finished with Second Division club Chelmsley Town knocking out local rivals Coleshill Town, Hawker and Jenkins got the goals that sent Chelmsley through.

Chelmsley Put Out Coleshill

Chelmsley manager Phil Davies left out top scorer John Mitchell on heating that the striker had requested a transfer to Moor Green, but his new look line-up rose to the occasion in this second round replay to oust Coleshill from the Midland Combination Challenge Cup. Coleshill had the upper hand in the opening stages, but Dyer miskicked from only six yards out and Jones had a shot kicked off the line. Sawojka threatened danger to Chelmsley’s defence on several occasions, using his height to advantage but Brittle worked hard to get Chelmsley back in the running. Near the interval Sawojka saw a header saved by Collins and Jones shot wide when well placed. Home keeper Hollins was injured diving at the feet of Jenkins, but Chelmsley were lucky when Tipton shot past Collins, only to see Newton clear the ball off the line. Ward came to Chelmsley’s rescue at the start of the second half, scooping the ball off the line, after Jones had rounded Collins. An injury to Ward forced him to leave the field and Chelmsley had to shuffle their defence, with substitute Fielding entering the fray, but they took the lead when Brittle’s pass found Hawker clear on the left flank and his speculative cross-shot eluded Hollins, the ball dipping into the far corner of the net. Coleshill rallies strongly and a corner from Dyer was headed against the crossbar by Russell. From the rebound Tipton’s shot was deflected into the net by Newton. Back at the other end Hollins saved well from Nabbs and Jenkins and in the 68th minute Coleshill took off Canning and sent on substitute defender Woolley as they found themselves under pressure. Fielding and Andrews were prominent in Chelmsley’s attacks and it came as no surprise when they regained the lead. Jenkins broke through and his shot was parried by Hollins, but he pounced on the rebound to chip the ball home. Brittle went close to making it 3-1 shooting inches over the bar, before Coleshill’s Tipton almost forced extra time with a shot that Collins saved at full stretch. Hemmings and Moore defended expertly to ensure a fine victory for Chelmsley. Coleshill’s manager Colin Holder said after the match, “Full credit to Chelmsley, but we missed far too many scoring chances. With only one win in the last five matches I must now consider making changes.” This Saturday Coleshill visit Walsall Sportsco in a Midland Combination First Division game.

Holding On To Holder

At the time of going to press it was still not known whether Coleshill Town’s manager Colin Holder will be staying at Pack Meadow or accepting an offer from another club. Holder met Coleshill officials last Wednesday and a final “clear the air” meeting was due to take place last night. The former Coventry City star said this week, “There are certain things I want the committee to do. I want a more positive approach from them to help me build up a successful team and only if I can get this off the field support will I be prepared to stay at Coleshill.” There was no cheer for Coleshill last Saturday when they tumbled out of the Midland Combination Challenge Cup to local rivals and Second Division side Chelmsley Town.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest