Highgate United 4 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 4 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Saturday 24th October 1981
Midland Combination Division One
Highgate United 4 v 1 Coleshill Town
Gate: Johnny Brookes 4.
Town: Nigel Burrows

P13 W7 D2 L4 F20 A17 Pts16 Pos4/22

Team: Mark Hollins GK, Steve Pollock, Roy Rencher, Nigel Burrows, Gary Jones. Sub John Gardner.

Four Goal Brookes Returns In Style

Highgate United's leading scorer Johnny Brookes returned to the team in style when he secured four spectacular goals to wipe out third placed Coleshill on Saturday. Coleshill went into the lead after nine minutes with a superb goal by Burrows. Former Highgate player Roy Rencher, released by manager Ronnie Blackham less than a fortnight ago, slid the ball across the edge of the penalty box to Burrows whose shot flew just inside the post out of Dave Lawrence's reach. Phil Summerhill, whose experience has proved invaluable over the past few games, went close to equalising with long range attempts on two occasions and then Highgate had a penalty appeal turned down. Johnny Brookes was pushed off the ball by Pollack as he rose to meet a cross from Tony Donnelly in front of goal in what was surely the most blatant reason to award a penalty Highgate will experience all season. But the referee turned down the subsequent appeals much to the anger and frustration of the home side. Brookes levelled the scores two minutes before the interval when he shrugged off a foul by Pollock and rounded keeper Hollins before shooting into an empty net. Highgate hit two goals in the space of a minute to sink Coleshill in the second half. A left wing cross from Summerhill was headed in by Brookes after 53 minutes and then Dave Evans put Brookes clear with a perfect through ball from midfield. Brookes exploited a gaping hole in the Coleshill defence and raced through to shoot past Hollins. Evans was booked following an incident with Coleshill's Jones after 74 minutes and then Evans hit the crossbar from close range as Highgate continued to pile on the pressure. Brookes struck again after 87 minutes when substitute Gardner failed to control the ball in front of goal and the Highgate striker turned and shot past Hollins.
Team: .

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest