Cradley Town 2 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Cradley Town 2 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Saturday 14th November 1981
Midland Combination Division One
Cradley Town 2 v 3 Coleshill Town
Cradley: Ryan, Simpson.
Coleshill: Micky Calvert 2, Barry Canning.

P16 W9 D3 L4 F25 A20 Pts21 P2/22

Team: Mark Hollins, Steve Pollack, Rob Cartwright, George Hackett, Barry Tempest, Brad Russell, Gary Jones, Nigel Burrows, Micky Calvert, Kevin Tipton, Bob Dyer. Sub Barry Canning. Not Confirmed.

Coleshill started well when Calvert went close, but it was Cradley that went ahead in the 15th minute when Ryan headed home a Mason cross. Within a minute Coleshill drew level when a shot from Dyer eluded Hooper on his near post. Cradley then began to take control and in the 30th minute Simpson anticipated a back pass from Tempest and put Cradley back in the lead. Cradley pressed their advantage strongly as the interval approached and there were some untidy scrambles in the Coleshill goal area.
Half Time Cradley 2 Coleshill 1.

And later the Sports Argus wrote:
Coleshill Booster

Cock-A-Hoop Coleshill Town collected their first "double" in over five years with victory over Cradley Town last Saturday. A 3-2 success reflected the upsurge in on-the-field fortunes for Coleshill this season - and this week they also added to their backroom strength with the appointment of Keith Fielding as reserve team manager. Fielding, a former goalkeeper with GEC Witton, replaces Steve Fellows who has reverted to his previous role as first team trainer. Bad news for Coleshill boss Colin Holder though is that striker Roy Rencher, a close season signing from Highgate, could be sidelined for a lengthy spell with cartilage trouble. "Roy has only managed a couple of games for us so far," said a disappointed Holder, "and it now looks as if he might be out for the rest of the seas on."

Cannon Fires Late Away Winner

A dramatic goal in the 87th minute by Cannon gave Coleshill the points. Ryan headed Cradley in front after 15 minutes but Coleshill were level within a minute when Calvert scored from near the bye-line. Just before the interval Simpson put Cradley ahead when he anticipated a back pass from Tempest. Coleshill levelled five minutes into the second half when Calvert scored after Dyer headed on. Morgan hit the crossbar for Cradley, then with just three minutes left Cannon headed home a right wing cross to give Coleshill the points.
NB. Strange report as it was Barry Canning that scored the winner

Coleshill At The Double

Coleshill moved into second place in the table for the first time in their history on Saturday with a gritty 3-2 performance over struggling Cradley. But the surprise Combination side of the season almost let the game slip away and had to rely on a late winner from substitute Jim (Barry) Canning to secure the points - their first league double in six years. Twice trailing to a Cradley side limited in its ideas, Coleshill supplies quick replies to draw back on terms. They fell behind in the 15th minute when Ryan headed home after keeper Hollins had misjudged the flight of the ball from a corner. But within a minute they were level through a stupendous goal from Calvert. He struck the bar with a drive in the sixth minute but went one better from the touch line, where he drove home from an unlikely angle. But a lack of calling between Hollins and skipper Tempest proved Coleshill’s undoing just before the break. Simpson anticipated the loose backpass and ensured that it never reached the stranded Hollins. He coolly drove home to restore the lead for a Cradley side who were only rarely in contention. Once again Coleshill’s reply was prompt. They bombarded the home goal with a series of assaults before Dyer threaded the ball through to the ever dangerous Calvert. The speedy Town striker turned and drove home from inside the area to restore the equilibrium. But it took an injury to skipper Tempest to indirectly win the game for the visitors. He took an elbow in the face and had to go off with concussion, giving Barry Canning his first taste of senior soccer for five months. And what a taste it proved to be. He timed his 87th minute leap to perfection, heading home a right wing cross to put Coleshill into the lead for the first time in the game. Manager Colin Holder summed up the performance in one word “tremendous “. And the man responsible for rejuvenating a side which was fighting it out at the other end of the table last season, received another boost. He watched the second half of his second team’s fixture with Cradley which ended in a goalless draw. “There are two lads playing in that reserve team who could walk straight into the first eleven.” he enthused. Holder has swooped to appoint Keith Fielding A’s reserve team manager allowing Steve Fallows to resume his role of first team trainer. Fielding has been goalkeeper with GEC Witton for the past two seasons and this is his first venture into management. On Saturday Coleshill entertain Bridgnorth Town.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest