Evesham United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Evesham United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Saturday 30th January 1982
Midland Combination Division One
Evesham United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Keith Bull 2.

P21 W10 D4 L7 F30 A28 Pts24 Pos5/22

Team: Mark Hollins, Steve Pollack, Ron Cartwright, Mark Bishop, Barry Tempest, Bob Dyer, Steve Turner, Brad Russell, Kevin Tipton, Nigel Burrows, Barry Canning. Sub Robert Woodward. Confirmed.

Evesham had three players making their debuts and skipper Kevin Deehan back after suspension for the visit of fourth in the table Coleshill. With the wind at their backs Evesham made all the running from the start. Sheehan forced Hollins to make two early saves at the near post from in=swinging corners. Then, in the sixth minute, Deehan supplied a perfect cross for Keith Bull to head Evesham into the lead. Evesham keeper Berry was injured as Coleshill made a quick attempt to get back on level terms, but the best chance fell to Evesham in the 17th minute when Thompson interview a poor back pass by Cartwright. McGeehan shot just wide with Hollins struggling to get back to his line. Evesham, keen to move away from the bottom of the table, were proving a handful for title contenders Coleshill. After their shock early lead Evesham continued to push forward and McGeehan missed two good chances to put Evesham further ahead.
Half Time Evesham 1 Coleshill 0

Coleshill Manager Demands Loyalty From His Players

Guilty of giving away free kicks Coleshill crashed to their second successive defeat, failing to complete an expected "double" over a struggling Evesham side. Coleshill clearly missed Gary Jones in midfield, who was injured while playing Sunday football and with Micky Calvert also forced to have a run-out in the second team, because of another Sunday injury, it is understandable that manager Colin Holder is demanding that his players give 100 per cent loyalty to Coleshill. The former Coventry City star said this week, "I am telling all the players that Saturday football must come first and they must dedicate themselves to playing for Coleshill." Holder was also annoyed at the way Coleshill conceded the points to Evesham. He said, "As in the previous week's defeat by Stratford we gave away free kicks and last Saturday two more unnecessary fouls resulted in Evesham scoring both goals." Coleshill made a lively start against Evesham and a fine move involving Russell, Dyer and Tipton led to Barrie Canning shooting just wide from 20 yards. Evesham evened up the exchanges but Coleshill keeper Hollins was not unduly troubled until full back Cartwright conceded a free kick and Evesham's central defender Bull thundered home powerful header. Kevin Tipton was clearly Coleshill's main danger man in attack and just before the break he set up a chance for Dyer but the final shot was far too high. Dominating the first quarter of the second half Coleshill looked capable of taking complete control but Evesham defended well with Bull and Billingham prominent. A dazzling run by Tipton, which carried him past three defenders, paved an opening for Nigel Burrows but from one yard out he miskicked and the chance was wasted. Evesham's keeper Berry then dived at the feet of Tipton to prevent a certain equaliser and it was against the run of play when the home side increased their lead. Again it was from a free kick, this time given away by Pollack and Evesham's player manager Kevin Deehan crossed the ball for the adventurous Bull to thunder in another header. Coleshill kept plugging away but Evesham, desperate for points, held out to secure their fourth win of the season. This Saturday Coleshill own are at home to sixth placed Oldbury United and Colin Holder is likely to make changes. He is far from satisfied with his team's two latest games and said, "I am determined to stop the rot and some of the players will have to buck their ideas up." Micky Calvert came through his run-out with the Reserves and scored twice in a 3-2 success against Bridgnorth Reserves.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests