Coleshill Town 0 v 1 West Midlands Police

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 1 West Midlands Police

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Saturday 13th March 1982
Midland Combination Division One
Coleshill Town 0 v 1 West Midlands Police
Scorer: Mark Piggott pen.

P26 W10 D6 L10 F32 A33 Pts26 Pos7/22

Team: Mark Hollins, Steve Pollack, Ron Cartwright, Mark Bishop, Barry Tempest, Gary Jones, Brad Russell, Kevin Tipton, Barry Canning, Tony Hanson, Keith Shrimpton. Sub Phil Hemming. Confirmed.

The game kicked off in strong windy conditions and the visitors had the first corner of the game which was well saved by Hollins. Coleshill were well on top and had most of the play with Tipton going close from a short range shot. The home side were by now mastering the conditions and Tony Hanson had the Police defence in all sorts of trouble bit his shot was pushed past the near post by Gunman.

Police Power Too Much

West Midlands Police never looked in danger of losing this Midland Combination game at Coleshill Town on Saturday. Police were sound in defence with Buttress dominant and with a little more luck in attack could have scored several times. Hanson was Coleshill's best player with some skilful play and deft touches but Police defender Pigott did a good job marking him. Police applied the early pressure and a right side corner forced Coleshill keeper Hollins into a good save. The visiting keeper Moore was soon in action when he beat out a stinging shot by Cartwright and Coleshill forced two corners in quick succession. Moore did well to turn a dangerous free kick from Pollock over the bar before Police stormed back to take the initiative. A dazzling run by Foggerty had the Coleshill defence in a tangle and his cross was powered over keeper Hollins by Shannon, but the ball amazingly stopped on the line in the thick mud. Gardner and Scriven caused the home rear-guard several anxious moments as police stepped up the pace before Hollins had to make a brave save after good work by Keen. Police wasted a chance when Scrivens' sent in a good cross but no one was there to take advantage and Coleshill breathed again. Police continued to press forward and Scriven had a pile-driver deflected for a corner before Gardner tested Hollins with a good shot. Hanson should have put the home side ahead when he raced clear but with the goal at his mercy shot wide. Shannon had the ball in the net for Police only to see his effort disallowed for offside. The Police pressure finally paid off five minutes from the end when Phillip Keen's persistence was rewarded when he was upended in the penalty box and Mark Pigott made no mistake from the spot.

Coleshill Boss Warns Players

Expect Coleshill's manager Colin Holder to make changes. He saw his team lose again on Saturday and they have not won for six games. A disappointed Coleshill boss said this week "Although neither side deserved to win this scrappy game, I am concerned that we are not making scoring chances. Some of the players are not giving 100% and I have warned them that I will introduce new players. "One newcomer signed this week is midfielder or defender Steve Fealey from Solihull Borough and Holder says he will play against top of the table Chipping Norton Town, at Pack Meadow next Saturday. From being third in the Midland Combination First Division before Christmas, Coleshill have dropped out of the title race, but they can still have an important say in where the championship shield will be housed. Certainly reigning champions Moor Green, who got the better of leaders Chippy Norton last week, will be hoping that Coleshill can at least take a point from the Gloucestershire side. But Coleshill will have to find more attacking flair than they did against the Police. Tony Hanson was guilty of wasting an early opportunity after Keith Shrimpton had put Tipton clear, for him to pave a clear opening. Police defended in depth to curb Coleshill's forward moves and it was 35 minutes before home keeper Hollins had to touch the ball, saving a shot from Scrivens. In the 39th minute Hanson ran through, but shot wide from 12 yards and proceedings were generally confined to a midfield battle. Coleshill appealed strongly for a goal in the 50th minute when a speculative cross - shot from Ron Cartwright appeared to enter the back of the net - the ball rebounding for Hanson to slam the ball home. To Coleshill's amazement the referee adjudged that the shot from Cartwright had gone outside and he gave the Police a goal kick. This incident spurred Coleshill to force five successive corners but again the lack of punch in the danger area allowed Police to survive and three minutes from the end Steve Pollack and Mark Bishop were involved in a tangle with Scrivens ad Police were awarded a penalty, from which Piggott slammed in the winner. Undoubtedly, Coleshill missed the services of Micky Calvert, who reported to the ground injured and Steve Pollack was forced to play, despite not being fully fit.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest