Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Chipping Norton

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Chipping Norton

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Saturday 20th March 1982
Midland Combination Division One
Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Chipping Norton

P27 W10 D6 L11 F32 A35 Pts26 Pos7/22

Team: Mark Hollins, Mark Bishop, Steve Fealey, Robert Woodward, Keith Shrimpton, Barry Tempest, Steve Pollack, Ron Cartwright, Micky Calvert, Tony Hanson, Kevin Tipton. Sub Brad Russell. Confirmed.

Coleshill put top of the table Chipping Norton under pressure from the kick off. Good play by Pollack gave a chance to Tipton but goalkeeper Pond came out and blocked his shot. Coleshill continued to pressurise the visitors defence and Tipton saw his shot blocked by Pond yet again but this fell to Hanson whose chipped ball bounced off the top of the crossbar. A low shot from 20 yards by Calvert was well saved by the visiting goalkeeper. In the 35th minute Calvert made a good run down the right wing and his cross was only inches missed by both Hanson and Tipton. Calvert, who was having a good game for Coleshill, gave the visitors defence more trouble when he beat two defenders only to see his shot go into the side netting.
Half Time Coleshill 0 Chipping 0

Coleshill Make Chances, But.....

Although losing, Coleshill gave an encouraging display against Midland Combination First Division leaders Chipping Norton, who came to Pack Meadow determined to pack their defence and ensure at least a point. The visitors tactics were obvious as they began the game with a 5-4-1 formation and Coleshill strove to break through, launching strong attacks. In the 15th minute Bishop and Woodward combined to put Micky Calvert on the right flank and his fine cross was expertly cut off by Norton's keeper. It was 35 minutes before home keeper Hollins touched the ball, dealing competently with a shot from Mathews and Coleshill maintained the offensive for Pollack to again give Calvert the chance to cross the ball but on this occasion both Hanson and Tipton failed to apply the finishing touch with only the keeper to beat. Such was Coleshill's domination prior to the interval that 23 players were encamped in Norton's half. Norton moved an extra man up front at the start of the second half and the sudden switch rewarded them with a goal. Coleshill's Woodward carelessly gave the ball away in midfield, allowing Buffrey to try a speculative shot. Hollins appeared to have the ball covered, but it took a deflection off full back Bishop and sailed into the far corner of the net, leaving Hollins stranded. Despite this sudden set-back Coleshill quickly re-asserted authority and pushed forward. Pollack saw a cracking drive saved and then Tipton, running clear from the half way line, was thwarted by a desperate tackle by Norton's keeper, who had advanced some 40 yards. From the resultant free kick Cartwright crossed the ball from Pollack to see his shot rebound from the crossbar. Coleshill had no luck in front of goal and against the run of play Norton broke away to jump further in front - Mathews' 25 yard shot hitting a Coleshill defender, before curling into the net. Coleshill's manager Colin Holder was naturally disappointed with the result but said "At least we created scoring chances and I was encouraged by the overall showing. Norton are a good side and I am sure they will win the championship." Norton's manager Dave Mathews also praised Coleshill and said his side would have willingly settled for a point. Chipping Norton have been fortunate to have kept a settled side. They have only used 16 or 17 players all season, while in contrast Coleshill have been dogged by injuries and have had to make 23 changes in their last eight outings. Some good news for Coleshill this week is that Bob Dyer, who suffered a fractured skull just before Christmas, is hoping to play again in the future - wearing protective head gear. Meanwhile manager Holder has followed up his signing of Steve Fealey from Solihull Borough with the capture of striker Mel Doyle from Armitage. The Coleshill boss is also having talks with two more players this week. This Saturday Coleshill visit Cinderford.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest