Racing Club Warwick 3 v 4 Coleshill Town - FA Cup

First Team Match Reports 2018-2019

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2415
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Racing Club Warwick 3 v 4 Coleshill Town - FA Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Saturday 11th August 2018
Emirates FA Cup Extra Prelimary Round
Racing Club Warwick 4 v 3 Coleshill Town
RCW: Trea Bertie 2, Marc Passey, Gerard McGahey.
Colemen: Ryan Edmunds, Rob Evans, George Washbourne.
Attendance: 249.

Warwick: Charlie Bannister, Marc Passey, Ryan Billington, Sean Castleton, Scott Turner, Alex Price (Henry Leaver), Luke Cole, Martin Slevin (Sam Beasley), Ben Mackey, Trea Bertie, Wade Malley (Gerard McGahey). Subs not used Michael Ellis, Joseph Smith.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Jorna Moulton (Josh Webb), Matt Jackson, Rob Evans, Drew Ricketts (Connor Doyle), Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Smith, Matt Gardner (George Washbourne), Reece Leek, Gio Dainty. Subs not used Guy Clarke, Brett Fellows, Chris Gibson.

What a disappointing start to the season, defeat in the FA Cup by a team two leagues below us. This game followed the pattern of pre-season, Coleshill played well against better opposition, Rushall Olympic and Bedworth United, but struggled against supposedly inferior teams, Atherstone United and Lichfield City, who basically worked harder and wanted it more.
Coleshill were 2-0 up at half time, possibly fortunate as Racing had had their chances, but that should have been it, game over! Within 19 minutes of the restart Warwick were 3-2 up and in the ascendancy. An equalizer from debutant substitute George Washbourne should have settled the nerves but the home side piled forward again and got a deserved winner from danger man Trea Bertie.

Giantkillers Race Into Next Round

Racing Club Warwick were the toast of the Midland Football League after dumping Coleshill Town out of the FA Cup with a thrilling 4-3 victory in the extra preliminary round. The Division One side might well play their football two leagues lower than their visitors – promoted to the Evo-Stik South at the end of the season – but they were more than a match for the Colemen thanks to two goals from Trea Bertie. It was Coleshill who struck first thanks to an excellent effort from Ryan Edmunds with Rob Evans doubling the advantage soon after. But it was a different story after the break with Marc Passey reducing the arrears with a delightful effort into the top corner before sub Gerard McGahey hauled the Racers level. Bertie quickly added a third and although George Washbourne leveled it was Bertie who wrapped up the win 13 minutes from time.


Matt Jackson and Drew Ricketts made their debuts as the side had a familiar look about it. Missing however was Captain Joe Halsall, Joe Cole (one match suspension carried over from last season), James Hicks and Andre Gonzales.

The home started brightly a with forward Mackey having a couple of chances. After a Price header Mackey dragged a shot wide from a great position and then a miss-hit shot trickled on to the post but Coleshill took the lead with their first meaningful attack and what a cracker it was. Danny Tymon won the ball in midfield and passed to Ryan Edmunds. With runners either side Edmunds had options but from around 25 yards he casually sent a volley over the stranded Bannister and into the net. A great way to start the season from last seasons’ League Player Of The Year. Matt Gardner shot wide from a Rob Evans long throw and then Danny Tymon should have increased the lead. Reece Leek left his marker for dead and pulled the ball back to midfield runner Tymon who side footed the ball wide of the post from the edge of the box, a great opportunity. At the other end Cole was shaping to shoot before Matt Jackson intervened with a great clearance. Reece Leek latched on to a long ball and saw his shot parried by Bannister into the path of Matt Gardner who then appeared to shoot wide but the referee gave a corner. With half time in sight Joe Smith intercepted a clearance and crossed to the far post where Rob Evans was waited to guide the ball into the net. Not a startling first 45 minutes but a two goal lead and something to build on.
The home side needed a lift and they got it within two minutes of the restart. Full back Passey found himself free just outside the box and he hit the sweetest shot that bend round the full length dive of Town keeper Paul Hathaway and went in off the post. Bertie then showed his potential as he raced clear of the defence shooting inches wide. Bertie was back on 62 minutes as he again got clear of the defence. This time Hathaway saved his shot but Mackey recycled the ball and found substitute McGahey who tapped into an empty net and on 64 minutes Bertie repeated his act and although Hathaway got a hand to the ball, this time he couldn’t keep it out. From 2-0 up to 3-2 down in 19 minutes. Manager Cameron Stuart sent on two more debutants in Josh Webb and George Washbourne and it seemed to settle Coleshill down. Ryan Edmunds jincked his way to the bye line and pulled the ball back to George Washbourne who controlled the ball and picked his spot from 10 yards out, all square 3-3. George Washbourne had another shot soon after but his effort was deflected for a corner and then home keeper Bannister parried a blistering shot from Josh Webb. At last Town were showing what they are capable of. Reece Leek and George Washbourne combined to set up Josh Webb in front of goal but Bannister made an even better save to deny Webb a goal on debut. At this point the game could have gone either way but it was Racing that edged in front once again on 78 minutes. McGahey made a great penetrating run but saw his shot hit the foot of the post. The ball came out to Mackey who crossed to the far post where Bertie smashed the ball into the net. The fifth debutant for Coleshill Connor Doyle took in a great crossfield ball from Rob Evans and into the box but Bannister was out quickly at his feet. In the dying minutes Town keeper Paul Hathaway came up for a corner but he couldn’t find that important touch and Coleshill were disappointingly out of the FA Cup.


Racing Club Warwick staged a quite stunning fightback to beat their higher-level opponents in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup, writes Paul Okey.

Unlucky to be trailing 2-0 to the Southern League Division One East side at the break, Racers scored within a minute of the restart through Marc Passey before going in front courtesy of further strikes from Gerard McGahey and Trea Bertie.

Coleshill got back on level terms soon after when George Washbourne fired home but Bertie popped up to score his second of the game ten minutes from time to cap a breathtaking second half.

Racers showed no sign of nerves on their return to the competition after a ten-year hiatus and should have been ahead in the third minute. Charlie Bannister’s free-kick was headed back to Ben Mackey on the penalty spot by Luke Cole but the former Brakes striker got his angles all wrong and the chance went begging. Ryan Edmunds almost capitalised on a mix-up between Scott Turner and Bannister at the other end before Mackey prodded the ball on to the post after Cole had got his head to another high ball. The hosts were stunned in the 11th-minute, however, when Edmunds produced a finish out of the very top drawer, latching on to a bouncing ball 25 yards out and producing a measured finish into the top-right hand corner. After seeing all their initial promise undone, Racers struggled to respond and it was almost half an hour before either side fashioned a chance on goal, Matthew Gardener firing over for Coleshill after a long throw had been flicked on. Danny Tymon then sidefooted wide after being allowed time and space inside the Racers box to pick his spot. A superb cover tackle from Matthew Jackson denied Cole a shooting chance but it was a rare foray forward for the home side as Coleshill turned the screw. Bannister produced a fine save with his legs to deny Reece Leek and Sean Castleton then misjudged the bouncing ball allowing Gardner a shooting chance on the edge of the six-yard box. However, he shot into the side netting. Three minutes before the interval, the pressure told when Coleshill made it 2-0. It was a catalogue of errors from the start, with Mackey gifting possession back to the visitors who were allowed time and space to pick out a cross. With the keeper and defenders leaving it for each other, Evans ghosted in to guide the ball home from close range. Cole flicked a header wide from an Alex Price free-kick in injury time but Racers were back in the tie just 60 seconds into the second half. Passey advanced with intent after picking up the ball 35 yards out and produced a sweet drive which arrowed into the bottom corner. It was just the fillip the home side needed and they went on to dominate the next 20 minutes as Coleshill struggled to cope with the pace of Bertie. Price drilled a shot just wide after picking up the pieces on the edge of the box and Bertie then went one-on-one with the keeper after two defenders misjudged a long ball forward. However, he could only find the side netting. Manager Scott Easterlow introduced McGahey for Wade Malley on the hour-mark and a minute later the substitute got Racers back on terms. Bertie was denied by a smart save by keeper Paul Hathaway who then undid all his good work by dropping Mackey’s follow-up cross on to the foot of McGahey who could not miss from three yards out. Racers’ tails were well and truly up and in the 65th minute it was 3-2. Bertie got goalside of defender Jorna Moulton after a long ball out from the back and did well to hold him off before firing across Hathaway and into the net to spark wild scenes. Coleshill pulled level two minutes later, however, as Racing Club switched off at the back, Washbourne drilling high into the net after the ball had been pulled back from the byline. The visitors looked to have gathered themselves after a shaky spell and Washbourne was pressured into dragging a shot wide by a desperate challenge from Cole. Fellow substitute Joshua Webb was then denied by a fine save from the legs of Bannister who raced across his goal smartly after the Racers defence were again at sixes and sevens. Henry Leaver struck the post after his initial free-kick was returned to him and as both sides chased a winner, it was Racing Club who struck the decisive blow. The chance looked to have gone after McGahey’s shot from outside the box was deflected on to a post. However, Mackey regathered possession and his shot across the keeper was diverted into the net by Bertie at the far post. After seeing their earlier lead evaporate so quickly and despite Mackey now a peripheral figure due to a foot injury, Racers were able to see out the closing minutes with few alarms. Edmunds was unable to find the target with a header and a memorable victory was confirmed when keeper Hathaway, still up from another corner, skied the ball high over the Warwick bar.

Racers’ reward is a trip to Boldmere St Michaels or Malvern Town in the preliminary round on August 25. The two teams drew 2-2 at Boldmere at the weekend.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2018-2019”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest