Kempston Rovers 2 v 5 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2018-2019

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2341
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Kempston Rovers 2 v 5 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Tuesday 21st August 2018
Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central
Kempston Rovers 2 v 5 Coleshill Town
Rovers: Josh Crawley, Ben Sheppard.
Town: Reece Leek 2, Joe Smith, Gio Dainty, Matt Gardner.
Attendance: 89.

Kempston: Carl Knox, Robbie Goodman (Hateley Mercer), Mason Spence, Alfie Powell, Seb Simpson, Kyal McNulty (Ty Deacon), Nathan Tshikuna, Ben Sheppard, Josh Crawley, Shane Bush, Ben Acquaye. Subs not used Ekene Amadi, Harlem Sambu.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Joe Cole, Gio Dainty, Rob Evans, Guy Clark, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds (Matt Gardner), Joe Smith, Liam Molesworth (George Washbourne), Reece Leek (Connor Doyle), Josh Webb. Subs not used Drew Ricketts, Chris Gibson.

Two games, two wins! Life in the Southern League Division One Central isn’t too bad at the moment.

A very even first ten minutes exploded into life when Reece Leek's pace took him clear of the defence and the striker calmly slotted the ball under the advancing Knox in the home goal. Coleshill were on top at this stage but Rovers slowly came more into the game. On 20 minutes Joe Cole had to be at his best as took the ball off a home attacker as they prepared to shoot. Kempston drew level on 28 minutes when a Bush header was cleared off the line but when the ball was recycled Josh Crawley was on hand to half volley into the net. The game then opened up into an end to end affair. Reece Leek had a shot cleared before the in-form Joe Smith headed Town into the lead again on 33 minutes, with his third goal in two games. The home side contributed to a very entertaining game and had chances to level but just before the break the Colemen increased their lead when again Reece Leek flashed past two defenders and shot low past keeper Knox.

The second half started scrappily and Kempston had three players booked before the hour mark. Rovers made it 3-2 from a Ben Sheppard deflected shot from the edge of the box on 67 minutes. A tremendous shot from Ryan Edmunds hit the post and landed nicely in the keepers' arms but Town increased their lead on 77 minutes with Gio Dainty heading in off the post a right wing cross from 8 yards out. Substitute Matt Gardner added a fifth on 83 minutes with his first touch when he stabbed home at the far post a hard and low cross from the right again. The game ended on a sour note when Mason Spence saw Red in the dying seconds but this had been an excellent performance from Coleshill in their first away trip in the Southern League.

Coleshill don’t have a game this Saturday due to being knocked out of the FA Cup but they are back at Pack Meadow on Bank Holiday Monday against Corby Town, 3pm Kick off.

A View From The Other Side
A Match Report taken from Kempston Rovers web site ... /1-3640852

A Mountain Out Of A Coleshill
By Matthew Wilmot
Kempston’s inauspicious start to the new season continued with a home defeat against league new-boys Coleshill Town

Rovers made four changes from Saturday’s defeat at Aylesbury United and were nearly opened up in the second minute. Liam Molesworth forced a smart save at the near post from Carl Knox after neat work on the right hand side. Nathan Tshikuna had the best of Kempston’s early chances, seeing a spectacular overhead kick dip just over the bar after being set up beautifully by Ben Acquaye’s surging run down the left. it was the visitors who broke the deadlock on ten minutes, a powerful run down the left channel saw the ball played across goal where Reece Leek was on hand to toe end it beyond Knox. Josh Crawley lobbed an effort wide after great set up play from Mason Spence, as Rovers looked to level immediately. Just before the half hour, Molesworth and the impressive Leek combined again but the latter’s final shot was tame. On the half hour, Rovers were level. A corner swung in by Crawley was met by Shane Bush and headed off the goal line. In the ensuing scramble, the ball was worked back to Crawley, who fired low through a clutch of players to score at the near post. The parity was short lived however, as moments later a cross into the Kempston box found Joe Smith unmarked. His flick finish beat Knox and restored the visitors’ lead. Rovers looked to level again through another Crawley corner, hit deep to the far post, Bush headed back across goal, where it fell to Seb Simpson. The defender’s shot was charged down and cleared to safety. Coleshill thought they had extended the lead when Leek had the ball in the net again on thirty nine minutes, but the assistant referee had already raised the flag for offside. Leek did have the last word of the half, though, as he surged forward after stealing possession and finishing low into the net to send the visitors in to the break three one up.
The second half began with both sides putting dangerous crosses into the box, but on both occasions there was no one in the middle to capitalise. Captain Kyal McNulty found himself in the book in the early minutes of the half, sliding in from behind on his man. Just after the hour mark, Josh Crawley was put through by Ben Shepherd, but couldn’t wrap his foot around the ball enough to trouble the keeper. In the sixty seventh minute, Rovers halved the deficit as Ben Shepherd fired a shot from the edge of the box, taking a huge deflection to wrong foot Hathaway in the visitors’ goal to make it three two. Ryan Edmunds could have put the result beyond doubt with fifteen minutes to play, his shot agonisingly coming back off the post straight into the hand of Carl Knox. Coleshill didn’t have to wait much longer for their fourth goal, three minutes later, Giovanni Dainty ghosted in unmarked to head home a right wing cross. It would get worse for Kempston, as in the eightieth minute, sub Matt Gardner, only on the pitch for two minutes, tapped in a fifth. The game finished amid ugly scenes. A free kick was awarded to Kempston for a clear foul, but shortened tempers got the better of a lot of the players and the referee had a lot of pushing and shoving to sort out. A yellow card was awarded to the visitors’ George Washbourne for the foul and a straight red card to Mason Spence who had shoved an opponent in the back, which started the handbags.
The result lifts Coleshill to third in the fledgling table, one of five sides to have won both their games. Rovers two defeats leave them at the wrong end at present. Rovers next action is in the FA Cup, away at Desborough Town on Saturday, before a trip to Kidlington on Bank Holiday Monday.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2018-2019”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest