Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Thames United

First Team Match Reports 2018-2019

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2422
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Thames United

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Saturday 22nd September 2018
Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central
Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Thames United
Town: Reece Leek pen, Liam Molesworth.
United: Liam Tack, Marcus Mealing pen.
Attendance: 97.
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored by Greensleeves: Liam Molesworth.

Coleshill: Matt Coton, Josh Webb, Matt Jackson, Joe Cole, Guy Clark, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, Nathan Waite (Craig Deakin), Reece Leek (Connor Doyle), Liam Molesworth (Pierce Keimbi). Subs not used George Washbourne, Chris Gibson GK.

Thame: Craig Hill, Harry Mepham, David Lynn, Jamie Essex, Dan James, Duran Martin (Tom Ashworth) Liam Tack, Ben Sturgess, Andy Gledhill (Marcus Mealing) Laurence Clark, Harry Scott ( Ben Cullen). Subs not used Aaron Jewell, Aston Goss.

Coleshill let this Division One Central game slip despite leading leading by two goals with 2 minutes to go against 10 man Thame United.Harry Scott forced home keeper Matt Coton to tip over the bar early on but the Colemen led in the 14th minute when Reece Leek confidently stroked in a penalty low to the right. The lead was doubled ten minutes later through Liam Molesworth to put Town in charge but Thame refused to lie down particularly after the start to the second half. Tacks' fierce angled drive was well saved by Matt Coton but that momentum was stifled when defender Dan James was sent off. Undeterred United kept plugging away with Tack pelting the post and the same player eventually making the break through with time ticking away. The game looked like it was over but Thame were awarded a penalty of their own five minutes past the 90 and Marcus Mealing snatched the unlikeliest of points.

By Craig Hamilton

Inside the first five minutes both sides had chances to score as first Reece Leek for Coleshill played the ball across the six yard box but Hill in the Thame goal slid out to clear. Then Thame attack and a good shot from Scott from the edge of the box was tipped wide by Matt Coton in the home goal. Coleshill took the lead on 14 minutes when Ryan Edmunds played the ball to Liam Molesworth on the edge of the box. He turned his defender and was fouled from behind just inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Reece Leek confidently converted the spot kick to put Coleshill 1-0 up. Coleshill started to get on top playing some nice football and this was rewarded on 24 minutes when Liam Molesworth picked the ball up just inside the Thame half and ran straight at the defence. Molesworth our-paced the visitors defence and chipped the ball over the advancing Hill in the United goal to net from just inside the box. Brilliant solo goal to put Coleshill 2-0 up. It’s was now end to end with Coleshill playing the better football but with no real chances or further goals the half finished, Coleshill 2 Thame 0.

The second half started much the same and the Colemen missed a chance as Reece Leek squared a free kick across the edge of the box but Ryan Edmunds’ shot was well saved. Then Thame had a chance to score when a ball over the top of the home defence found Tack on the left but his cross/shot was well saved by Matt Coton down to his left. Then on 62 minutes Thame defender James was sent off for a reckless challenge which should have given Coleshill an advantage but only minutes later a poor clearance by Coton went straight to Scott who crossed for the dangerous Tack who hit the post with a thumping shot. Coleshill then had a chance to increase the lead further when Ryan Edmunds ran through the visitors defence but a last ditch tackle on the edge of the box stopped his shot. Ryan Edmunds then had another chance when from 40 yards he spotted the keeper off his line and tried a chip that Hill just managed to push out for a corner. Hill was back in action as he tipped a Liam Molesworth 20 yard effort over the bar. Coleshill were well on top but couldn’t find a third goal that would kill the game. With only a couple of minutes to go another long ball by Thame found Tack who looked offside but was allowed to go on and score. 2-1. Coleshill just needed to see the game out but with ten men Thame reverted to just playing the long ball and this payed dividends well into injury time as again Tack chased a lost cause. Matt Coton came out to dive at his feet and win the ball but his momentum carried him into Tack and the referee awarded a dubious penalty. Substitute Mealing stepped up to convert the spot kick in the 95th minute and within a minute the referee blew for full time.
Coleshill played the better football but Thame came away with a point they didn’t really deserve.
Coleshill 2 Thame 2.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2018-2019”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest