Coleshill Town 0 v 3 Cinderford

First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 3 Cinderford

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 am

Saturday 11th October 1980
Midland Combination Division 1
Coleshill Town 0 v 3 Cinderford Town

P9 W0 D1 L8 F4 A25 Pts1 Pos20/20

Team: Tony Sammons, Steve Howes, Craig Provey, Paul Hevingham, Hobbs, Terry Allen, Barry Canning, John Edwards, Martin Colder, Mark Browning, Les Stonebridge. Sub Underhill.

The game began with end to end play. Sammons in the Coleshill goal saved a good header from Young in the 29th minute. From then on Coleshill took command and Stonebridge was unlucky when the Cinderford goal-keeper tipped his 40 yard drive over the bar in the 39th minute. Coleshill went close again when Edwards kicked the ball over the bar from a corner. In the 44th minute Canning drove the ball towards the corner of the net but Hock in the Cinderford goal brought off a good save.
Half Time: Coleshill 0 Cinderford 0

Coleshill, firmly in control of the goalless first half, fell away badly in the closing stages to be well beaten. They became frustrated by their own lack of success and conceded a 58th minute goal by Mayo. Smith increased the lead in the 86th minute following a free kick and put the issue beyond doubt when Foxwell added a third in the last minute following a goalmouth scramble.

The Old Story – Town Fade In Second Half

Once again Coleshill flattered to deceive. After enjoying the better of the first half exchanges and wasting several scoring chances, they faded badly in the second period and crashed to yet another defeat. Play swung from end to end in the opening stages and home keeper Sammons did well to save a snap header from Young, before Coleshill settled down to dictate matters. Both Allen and Canning went close to opening the scoring and Stonebridge was unlucky when his 40 yard drive was finger-tipped over the crossbar by Hook. Edwards ballooned the bal over from close range during a melee ensuing from a corner, and as Coleshill mounted pressure a shot from Canning looked a winner all the way, before Hook somehow got to the ball to deflect it wide. Coleshill began the second half lively enough, but in the 58th minute conceded a goal to Mayo. This setback upset Coleshill and they noticeably became frustrated by the lack of success. Cinderford increased the pace sufficiently to finish strongly and in the 86th minute Smith shot them further in front. A goalmouth scramble in the last minute enabled Foxwell to nip in and net the visitors third goal. This was Coleshill’s eighth league game of the season and they have only one point to show from their efforts, but manager Mel Strong is far from dejected. He said this week: “I am pleased with the performances of newcomers Mark Browning and Martin Colder, and when you realise that only one member of last season’s team, Barry Canning, is still with the club, then you can see how we have had to completely rebuild.” Strong is increasing the training session for his players to three evenings each week – Tuesday and Wednesday at the gymnasium and Thursday’s at the ground. This Saturday Coleshill are away to Cradley Town in a Midland Combination First Division encounter.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests