Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Worcester City

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Worcester City

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Saturday 10th February 2018
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Worcester City
Scorer: George Forsyth.
Attendance: 267.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Joe Cole (Coleshill) George Forsyth (Worcester)
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored By Greensleeves: Joe Cole.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Joe Smith, Joe Cole, Rob Evans, Luke Edwards, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, James Hicks, Reece Leek, Joel Grandison (Gio Dainty). Subs not used Dominic Cotter GK, Tom Fishwick, Jorna Moulton, Anton Astley.

Worcester: Nathan Vaughan, Tyler Weir, James Smith, Mark Smith, Wayne Thomas, Nathan Haywood, Bekir Halil, George Forsyth, Lee Hughes, David Reynolds, Alex Thomkinson. Subs James Baldwin, Matt Gywnne, Matt Birley, Ethan Moran, Mark Danks.

Forsyth Blast Keeps Up Worcester Chase

George Forsyth's blistering blast decided the clash of the heavyweights as Worcester City won 1-0 at Coleshill Town. Forsyth took aim with a rocket that rattled in off the post five minutes from time to leave fourth-placed City within six points of the summit and joint boss John Snape purring. "It was a strike worthy of winning any game," he said. "defensively it was like a game of chess, both sides managed it well and it was hard for either to break through.". On the title race, Snape added: "Maybe this is my enthusiasm talking but we have 51 points still to play for. I don't see how anyone could say it would have been over whatever the result had been. It is open for several teams. Whoever goes on a run and we have been unbeaten since the turn of the year, could kick on." Bromsgrove Sporting seized top spot, leapfrogging Coleshill by fighting back to win 2-1 at Rugby Town.


A vital league match against two sides who will definitely be in the shake up come the end of the season was settled but one piece of quality in an otherwise average game in which Town and City cancelled each other out. A third defeat in a row now for Coleshill but a fairer result would have a goalless draw.

Worcester started the game well and had lots of possession but Coleshill should have taken the lead with the best chance when Ryan Edmunds got to the bye line and pulled the ball back for the onrushing James Hicks who only needed to side foot home but completely missed the ball. Joe Halsall volleyed a Ryan Edmunds cross well over the bar and Joe Smith got to the bye line, crossed for Reece Leek who headed goalward and James Hicks' flick on went just past the post. Coleshill's pressure almost got reward but City keeper Vaughan dived full length to tip away a shot and repeated the act as the rebound was sent back in by Reece Leek. The Colemen were well on top but the final pass just wouldn't fall kindly and they almost paid the price when Reynolds' cross/shot almost crept in but Town keeper Paul Hathaway made a fine save. Reynolds then hit the side netting, Hughes' curling shot/cross went wide of the post and Reynolds left foot shot was saved by Paul Hathaway at the foot of the post as the visitors finished the half strongly.

Each side had their periods of superiority but the killer pass never materialised. Reece Leek had a dipping shot but Vaughan saved easily, Joe Halsall chested a cross from Rob Evans but the ball just wouldn't come down for him whilst in a great position. For City Smith shot straight at Paul Hathaway when he had better options waiting. Thomkinson went on a mazy run along the 6 yard line but ran out of room before he could get sight of the goal. Reynolds did well to turn and shoot but Hathaway saved. Coleshill's best chance came when a Hathaway punt was misjudged by the visitors defence. Reece Leek quickly pounced on the chance and toe poked past the advancing keeper but with the ball trickling goalward Smith got back to clear off the line. James Hicks tangled with the keeper and went to ground and on another day may have got a penalty. Hughes had the ball in the net for City but was well off-side. Luke Edwards almost got on the end of a Ryan Edmunds free kick at the far post, James Hicks fed Joe Smith but his shot was saved, Danny Tymon threaded a ball through for James Hicks but Smith made a great tackle on the edge of the box, then Joe Halsall headed just past the post a cross from Danny Tymon. A stalemate looked the likely outcome but the only goal of the game came on 85 minutes. Reynolds got to the bye line but when his cross was half cleared it fell to Forsyth just outside the box and his powerful shot arrowed through a sea of legs into the far corner of the net. Coleshill have hit back so many times this season from similar positions and they built some pressure on the visitors goal but it was not to be their day and Worcester held on to take the points.

Knocked off top spot by Bromsgrove Sporting, Coleshill need to get back to winning ways quickly starting with the visit of Lye Town next Saturday.

A View From The Other Side
A Match Report taken from Worcester City web site ... /1-2891842

By Andrew Poole
Hard-earned yet deserved win at Coleshill Town...

CITY secured an excellent three points with a 1-0 victory at League leaders, Coleshill Town.
We made our intentions clear from the start with a lively opening to the game as an early free-kick from George Forsyth found its way to Nathan Hayward whose strike from just outside the area flew over the crossbar.
Having looked the most likely side in the opening exchanges, our hosts had a great chance to open the scoring on seven minutes when skipper, Halsall, found Leek who was off target from a good position.
In wet and windy conditions, our hosts started to get a foot-hold into the game and they were looking sharp on the break as Hicks put another effort over.
With 16 minutes on the clock, a teasing corner from Alex Tomkinson caused problems for the home defence as the ball just evades George Forsyth.
Then new-boy, Bekir Halil, who was making his City debut having arrived from Hinckley AFC during the week, did well to win the ball before turning sharply and getting in a effort that crept just wide of the target.
There were a couple of smart saves in quick success from Nathan Vaughan to keep us on level terms before Wayne Thomas did well to clear the danger from a home corner.
With ten minutes of the opening period remaining, Dave Reynolds did well to cut in from a wide position before seeing his strike well saved.
As the half came to a close we were seeing plenty of the ball in attacking situations as Lee Hughes went close then Reynolds used his strength to make room for a strike that was saved.
At the other end Thomas was dominant in the heart of the City back-line to thwart the home side’s attacking ideas.
Goalless at the break, it was City who created the better chances but it was proving to be a tight affair between two good sides.
An early free-kick for the home side was well defended by the City wall which stood firm to do its job.
A teasing ball into the danger zone from Halil caused concern but it just evaded both Hughes and Reynolds in front of goal as the home side breathed a huge sigh of relief.
We were proving to be a constant threat on the counter-attack and as Tomkinson made positive strides forward, he elected to shoot rather than pass and the ‘keeper was able to make the save.
We continued to press for the opening goal and Reynolds was unlucky when he managed to get in a strike on target that was kept out by the ‘keeper.
On the hour-mark, Forsyth’s free-kick picked out Thomas, up from the back, but his header went well wide.
The home side still posed a threat despite our dominating the possession and a ball over the top almost saw them profit, however, Jamie Smith was alert to cover.
City had the ball in the next with just over 20 minutes to go, but the offside flag halted Hughes’ celebrations before they had even started.
There were chances at either end in quick succession as both sides searched for a winning goal.
After the home side went close with an 83rd minute header that beat the reach of Vaughan but landed inches wide of the post, City took the lead just two minutes later when Forsyth tried his luck from the edge of the area and the ball went in off the post.
It sent the travelling City contingent plus players and staff into raptures.
There was still plenty of work to do, though, as our hosts pushed for a leveller late on. Vaughan got down well to deal with a low strike before Matt Birley also did well to thwart a late raid.
In the end we managed to hold on to claim a deserved yet extremely hard-earned victory. Well done City!

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests