First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Baker cooks up a special winner to defeat Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Baker cooks up a special winner to defeat Coleshill Town
Writes the Coleshill Herald

TAMWORTH FC boss Dale Belford was full of praise for Midland Alliance side Coleshill after his side came through a tricky test on a bitterly cold night at Packmeadow, writes Matt Panter.

The Lambs set up a second round clash with Rugby Town courtesy of a fine 32nd minute free-kick from Richie Baker.

Belford fielded a strong side including Darren Byfield, Jordan Keane, Baker, Lloyd Kerry, Ryan Croasdale, Mark Wright, Louis Harris and goalkeeper James Wren.

And he said: "I think the team selection showed we are taking the Birmingham Senior Cup seriously.

"I was delighted to come away with a win – winning is a habit at the end of the day.

"Full credit to Paul Casey and his Coleshill players because they really came out and gave it a good go on the day.

"It was really tough for us and it was a game that could have gone either way to be fair.

"I'm just happy to come through the tie and it was good for us because it gave some of the lads the chance to get some minutes under their belts.

"And a few of them certainly took their opportunities and gave me food for thought for the weekend.

"They have put themselves back in the frame for selection on Saturday."

Belford also hailed Heather St John defender Connor McMenemin and Polesworth's Alex Gough for their contributions in the game.

"They came in and did a good job for us," said Belford. "They were a credit to themselves, their clubs and Tamworth FC and I want to thank them for their efforts on the night."

Despite the defeat, Coleshill chairman Paul Billing was also happy at the end of the cup clash and felt his players had battled well.

"We gave a very good account of ourselves so the lads can be proud of their efforts," he said.

"We certainly didn't embarrass ourselves on the night.

"It was an attacking game and we hit the bar and had a few one-on-ones.

"We lost the game to a cracking free-kick as well. It was an undefendable goal and, in some ways, you don't mind losing to those kind of goals," he added.

Return to “First Team News”