First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Squad Aim To Stake Claims For Huge FA Vase Tie

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Coleshill Town squad aim to stake claims for huge FA Vase tie
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town's players have one last chance to stake their claims for a place in the side for their massive FA Vase fourth round clash in a fortnight's time.

And manager Paul Casey admits he is going to be handed some real selection headaches ahead of that cup tie.

Coleshill travel to Loughborough University on Saturday (kick off 3pm) in the Midland Alliance before heading up to Newcastle seven days later to face 2011-12 FA Vase winners Dunston UTS.

Casey said: "Hopefully the weather will be okay this weekend because we definitely want a run-out before the Dunston game.

"It's very important that we have this workout and the players have the chance to show me who should wear the shirts for that Vase game.

"There have been so many good performances from my players this season," said Casey, whose Coleshill side lie fifth in the Alliance.

"It's up to them to keep putting the effort in between now and the FA Vase game.

"I have a lot of decisions to make. For example, we have three central defenders – Jack Hullin, Danny Douglas and Luke Edwards – who have been magnificent for me.

"They have been really strong but it's likely I'll only be able to pick two. It's the kind of problem managers want though."

Casey's delight in his squad's efforts this season continued as they thrashed fellow top six challengers Boldmere St Michaels 3-0 on Thursday night.

"It was a fantastic performance from the lads," he said. "We were definitely the better side on the night.

"Our keeper Paul Hathaway had one save to make while their keeper had to make some great saves.

"It was just a fantastic win and here we are sitting nicely in fifth place. I remember about four weeks into the season and some said to me, 'you've had a decent start' and said we looked like we had a good side.

"But it's great that we have managed to sustain that. We have not been out of the top eight all season and that's a fantastic effort from the players.

"I couldn't be more proud of them. We have played all the top sides, at least once – most of them we have played twice.

"We also have the fourth round of the FA Vase coming up so we have a lot to look forward to."

Return to “First Team News”