First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

August will be key month as Coleshill Town eye good start

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 pm

August will be key month as Coleshill Town eye good start
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey believes August could be a significant month as his side bid for glory in this season's Midland Football League Premier.

The Colemen have a busy opening month, starting with back-to-back home games against Continental Star on Saturday and Long Eaton on Tuesday night.

And boss Casey says his side will need to hit the ground running.

"I think the side who comes out of August on top will already be in a strong position.

"So we want to start strongly and establish ourselves early doors.

"Last year, I think that we won three out of seven games in August.

"This year we have eight games in the first month and I am looking for us to get 15 points. I would be over the moon with that."

Coleshill enjoyed a fine season last year, securing fourth place in the Midland Alliance while also having a good run in the FA Vase.

And Casey admits that his side now have a tough job on their hands to maintain that success.

"It has happened a lot in our league, where sides who finish in the top six one season then fail to reproduce it the following season," he said.

"You have to be looking to improve your squad every season to maintain that position.

"But I believe that we have done that and I am excited by the season ahead.

"We have brought some real quality in, such as (strikers) Shane Benjamin and Tom Weale.

"We have players with experience of not just our league but also the one above and that experience will really help us through the campaign.

"Pre-season has been really good. We have produced some fine performances and I am confident we can enjoy a good year."

But Casey expects plenty of competition in a race for league honours.

He added: "On paper I would say Basford United appear to be the league favourites and it will be interesting to see how they do.

"I think the likes of Boldmere St Michaels, Quorn and Walsall Wood will also have a say in matters.

"And Alvechurch could also be there or thereabouts.

"So it promises to be a really exciting league and I am certainly looking forward to seeing what my players can achieve."

Casey is without the services of keeper Chris Jay and striker Matt Brown for the league opener against Continental Star on Saturday.

The game, at Packmeadow, kicks off at 3pm.

Return to “First Team News”