Heanor Town 4 v 3 Coleshill Town - FA Vase

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Heanor Town 4 v 3 Coleshill Town - FA Vase

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:18 am

Saturday 22nd November 2014
FA Vase 2nd Round
Heanor Town 4 v 3 Coleshill Town
Heanor: Kieran Wells, Gary Ricketts 2, Courey Grantham.
Colemen: Danny Tymon, Matt Brown, Craig Milligan.
Attendance: 177.

Heanor: Ian Deakin, Greg Marriott, Chris Shaw, Adrian Hawes, Ross Henshaw (Jason Gregory), Marc Strzyzewski, Kieran Wells (Scott Rogers, Oliver Naylor), Paulo Piliero, Gary Ricketts, Courey Grantham, Kieran Debrouwer.

Colemen: Tom Weale, Leon Weller, Oliver Casey, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards (Sent Off), Danny Tymon (Simeon Cobourne), Ryan Nash (James Williams), Craig Milligan, Shane Benjamin, Matt Brown, Dean Rathbone. Subs not used Tyrone Amory, Colan Powell.

Match Report
This seven goal thriller could have gone either way but Coleshill were undone by an old head, literally, and a refereeing decision that stunned the travelling Coleshill contingent and boosted the home team and their supporters.

The day didn't start to well when Town's goalkeeper announced he was unable to play due to flu! Manager Paul Casey had little time to call up a replacement and so midfielder Tom Weale, the best available candidate, was the one to put on the gloves. Fair play to Tom, he hardly put a foot wrong all afternoon!

The game started very even but it was evident that Heanor would be a tough nut to crack and when Danny Tymon scored a cracker on 7 minutes it gave Coleshill something to hang on to. The Lions had plenty of possession and played some neat football but Town were resolute and organised in defence and were dangerous on the break. The home side levelled on 25 minutes when Debrouwer crossed to the far post and 40 year old Gary Ricketts headed back across goal for the onrushing Wells to volley home. Town were back infront just four minutes later when Tymon fed Matt Brown on the edge of the box. Brown still had lots to do but he cut inside and sent a bending shot beyond the home keeper and into the net. Craig Milligan almost increased the lead shortly after but he hit the post with his normal standing on only right foot! Goalkeeper Weale was at full stretch to keep out a shot from Grantham as Town finished the half deservedly 2-1 up.

Predictably Heanor upped the anti in the second half and took just three minutes to level the scores. In a perfectly executed training ground set piece Ricketts headed in off the post a Piliero free kick. Town were under tremendous pressure but amazingly the took the lead for the third time on 55 minutes. Dean Rathbone's cross into the box was only cleared as far as Milligan who shot through a crowded goalmouth, this time his left foot found the target for his first Coleshill goal. Weale saved well from Strzyzewski and the same player had a goalbound effort deflected for a corner as the home team pushed for a third equaliser and it duly came on 60 minutes when another Piliero dead ball, this time a corner, was headed home by the unmarked Ricketts at the near post. Minutes later the pair combined again in a copy cat move but this time the post saved Coleshill the embarrassment of gifting Ricketts a headed hat-trick. Shane Benjamin who had a quiet afternoon had a great chance to put the visitors in front yet again as Brown found him unmarked in front of goal but his first touch let him down and the chance was gone. Grantham chased down a back pass and collided into Tom Weale seconds after the stand-in keeper had kicked clear, Rickets headed home the fluffed clearance but the assistant referee flagged for a foul! A great cross field pass from Oliver Casey found Ryan Nash who cut inside and hit a left foot shot against the post! The crowd were certainly getting their monies worth in an end to end game. But everything changed when Luke Edwards tackled Scott Rogers on the half way line. The lad fell awkwardly and immediately signalled that something was seriously wrong. A broken leg and a 25 minute delay. The referee had time to think about his decision and after intimating he would show a Yellow card, he astonishingly changed it to Red! Everyone connected with Coleshill feels deepest sympathy for Rogers and wish him a speedy recovery but this was not a sending off challenge! Coleshill were well in the game at 11 v 11 but with a man short, it was a challenge to far. Ryan Nash was sacrificed for young James Williams, the only defender on the bench. Coleshill held out til the 85th minute but possibly the best move of the game ended with another pin-point cross from Piliero and Grantham was hand to volley home from a yard out! Benjamin had a shot deflected and Danny Douglas saw a header go over the bar but the home side saw the game out to go through to the 3rd round, although a clear elbow causing a cut to Matt Brown's head went unnoticed and resulted in an ugly scene at the end!

To score three goals and hit the wood-work twice away from home and still lose is tough but Heanor are a very good side and may well go far in the competition. Meanwhile Coleshill have a Birmingham Senior Cup game on Tuesday but they can now concentrate on the league!

A View From The Other Side
A match report taken from Heanor Town web site

Cup progress marred by Rogers injury
by Heanor Town FC Press Officer

Heanor Town FC continued through to the last 64 of The FA Vase, although the threadbare squad took a huge knock with substitute Scott Rogers leaving the ground with a broken leg mid way through the second half.

Coleshill took the lead with an effort goalkeeper Ian Deakin couldn’t have prevented. A tenth minute corner was only half cleared, Coleshill skipper Daniel Tymon managed to rifle the ball low through the crowded penalty area, the ball almost tearing through the back of the net as it landed.

The Lions should have been on level terms on twenty four minutes, Piliero’s corner kick nodded just over the bar from less than a yard by Ross Henshaw.

Just two minutes later it was a fantastic cross from Courey Grantham that found Gary Ricketts who in turn found Kieran Wells with a measured header; his shot was just strong enough to beat the goalkeeper to bring parity to the scores.

On thirty one minutes Coleshill again went ahead, Coleshill’s Benjamin was offside but inactive, Matthew Brown managed to control the ball and beat both Hawes and Henshaw before he beat Deakin, putting the ball into the bottom corner.

Just on the stroke of half time, Heanor could have again levelled the scores, a Debrouwer free kick deflected away for a fruitless corner.

The second half started with Heanor looking more determined and more prepared for the battle.

It took four minute for Pilfer to deliver another excellent free kick, this time it was his mouth watering cross that Ricketts leaped highest to just head back across the goalkeeper and into the inside of the upright.

Fifty three minutes saw Kieran Wells replaced by Scott Rogers, Courey Grantham moving into the forward line out of the midfield berth he had been occupying.

Midfielder Craig Milligan collected the ball after a hesitant Heanor defence didn’t close him down, he side stepped and hit a shot with the outside of his boot, wrong footing Deakin as the ball hit the back of the net.

Gary Ricketts seemed to be on a one man mission to keep Heanor in the FA Vase, his header, from another Piliero corner, flew into the top corner. The veteran forward leaping highest eight yards out to beat the whole of the defence.

Henshaw pulled up with injury on sixty nine minutes, Jason Gregory entered the field of play to replace him, making his debut for the club. The no nonsense centre half receiving a yellow card for his first touch, a foul that in the mood of the game could be argued wasn’t warranted.

Shortly after we saw in incident that nobody inside the ground will want to remember, least of all Scott Rogers. A rash challenge from Coleshill’s Luke Edwards saw him make contact with Rogers, the impact instantly breaking the substitutes leg. The instant response was to care for the injured player, involving a 25 minute stoppage as the paramedics attended then took Rogers from the field to go to Derby hospital.

When the referee restarted the match, Edwards received his marching orders and Ollie Naylor came on to replace Rogers, making his first team debut at just seventeen.

With emotions running high in the ground it would always be one goal to break hearts. That goal came from Courey Grantham, who had been back to his best throughout the match. Piliero completed his hat-trick of assists with a super cross to Grantham on eighty five minutes, the young forward with a flying volley into the top corner. Celebrations aside, thoughts from all at the club were still with Scott Rogers on his way to hospital.

Heanor: Deakin, Marriott, Shaw, Hawes, Henshaw (Gregory 69), Strzyzewski, Wells (Rogers 53, Naylor 78), Piliero, Ricketts, Grantham, Debrouwer.

Man of the match: Paulo Piliero – three assists and an all round excellent performance.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests