Quorn 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2016-2017

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Quorn 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Monday 3rd April 2017
Midland Football League Premier
Quorn 2 v 1 Coleshill Town
Quorn: Liam Turner 2.
Town: Dean Rathbone.
Attendance: 85.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Liam Turner (Quorn) Tom Weale (Coleshill)

Quorn: Taylor McMillan, Leavi Oshungbure, Jake Dodds, Niall Mather, James Brooks, Nathan Dale, Callum Thompson, James Jepson, James Hicks, Liam Turner, Nick Goold. Subs: Simon Alcott, Suleiman Nassor.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Andre Gonzales, Josh Quaynor, Tom Weale, Tom Fishwick, Craig Milligan, Reece Leek, Danny Tymon, Mykel Beckley, Dean Rathbone, Joel Ambalu. Subs not used Simeon Cobourne, Dominic Cotter, Tom Dyche, Rob Evans.

Following a disapointing, goaless draw on Saturday away to AFC Wulfrunians, Coleshill were quickly back in action at Quorn on Monday night. This was the Colemen's game in hand on league leaders Alvechurch and three points would have meant, with just five games remaining, that they still had a chance to catch the top team especially as they have to visit Pack Meadow in 12 days time.

The loss was only the second league defeat in twelve games and has now left Town with a mountain to climb.

Quorn took an early lead but Dean Rathbone equalised on the half hour mark. The home team regained the lead just before the interval and that's how the score remained despite Town's best efforts and numerous chances.

Coleshill are now eight points behind Alvechurch making a title push not impossible but unlikely. 3rd placed Sporting Khalsa are 9 points further behind but have two games in hand and they to have to visit Pack Meadow on the last day of the season.

A quick return to form is needed and that may well come this Saturday as Coventry Sphinx travel to Packington Lane, 3pm kick off.


Coleshill Town travelled to mid –table Quorn after a disappointing draw against Old Wulfurnians on the previous Saturday with several players absent from the squad. The match was played on a cool but clear and dry evening on a reasonable surface – for the last time as Quorn’s pitch is about to be converted to 3G for next season.

Both teams started brightly with the exchanges fairly even at both ends but with the home side earning three corners in the first twelve minutes, all cleared by the away defence. After good work by Dean Rathbone on 8 minutes , the resulting shot by Reece Leak was blocked by keeper McMillan and cleared upfield. Quorn’s fourth corner of the match was headed on by Hicks to No.10 (Liam Turner) whose free header beat keeper Hathaway for the first goal on 16 minutes.

Coleshill then turned on the pressure. Reece Leek’s 19th minute shot following Josh Quaynor’s free kick went straight to the keeper. Eventually Town were awarded a corner(21mins), taken by Josh Quaynor, which Reece Leek turned wide. Joel Ambalu skilfully controlled Tom Weale’s cross but his shot was saved (25mins) , the same player then forced a corner on 28 but Gonzales shot was blocked and cleared. This pressure finally paid off when a run by Reece Leeke put Joel Ambalu clear and his effort rebounded to Dean Rathbone who shot from 10 yards and beat the keeper to make it 1-1.

Town’s advantage was short lived however as No.10 Liam Turner found himself unmarked on the edge of the area after 32 minutes. His shot curled to the left of Hathaway’s outstretched right hand into the left corner of the net for a 2-1 home lead. Again Town responded with a shot from Dean Rathbone (40 mins) parried well by the keeper to his left. Unfortunately both Joel Ambalu and Mykel Beckley went for the rebound and the ball was cleared upfield. A foul on Tom Weale when clear was taken by the offended player (43mins) but went straight to the keeper.

Half time Quorn 2 Coleshill 1

After the interval ( there were no substitutions) both teams exchanges attacks with a good run by Andre Gonzales but the resulting pass was too long for Mykel Beckley (52 mins). On the hour, skillful interpassing between Reece Leek and Andre Gonzales put Dean Rathbone in space but his shot struck the left hand upright and fell harmlessly out for a goal kick. A trade mark twisting run from Reece Leek on 70 mins gave Joel Ambalu a difficult chance but the resulting shot went over the bar. At the other end a header from a Quorn corner by No. 4 (***) struck the post. After more attacks a Joel Ambalu shot was saved by the keeper on 78 minutes. Coleshill tried valiantly to get the equaliser in the last fifteen minutes and mounted a succession of attacks with centre back Tom Fishwick being deployed up front to try and get the equaliser. In the last frantic ten minutes , Town threw everything at Quorn , to the extent that Paul Hathaway's ambitious clearance from near the touchline was collected by substitutes No. 12 Alcott but his shot from 35 yards at the empty net went over the bar. The last significant action was a free kick by Josh Quaynor but his effort went over the bar to leave a frustrated away side even further away from the league leaders. (Substitute for Quorn #14 for #2).

FULL TIME Quorn 2 Coleshill 1

A View From The Other Side
A Match Report taken from Quorn web site

http://www.quornfc.com/1st-mr-2016-17/q ... ll-town-2/

Quorn were looking to secure a third victory in a row for the first time this season and were able to field an unchanged side from the previous game. Visitors Coleshill were looking to get their title ambitions back on track after dropping two points on Saturday.

Quorn started on the front foot and it was the visitors that were forced into defending for the most part, James Hicks and Liam Turner both going close for the hosts. The visitors responded and Mykel Beckley went close but it was Quorn who took the lead in the 17th minute. Nick Goold’s corner from the left was headed powerfully goal-wards by Jimmy Brooks and Turner glanced the ball over the line from close range to notch his 100th goal for the Club.

Quorn nearly doubled their advantage but it was the visitors who should have got back on terms but were thwarted by the legs of keeper Taylor McMillan. Coleshill upped their game a little and drew level in the 32nd minute, Dean Rathbone’s shot was parried by McMillan but the ball crossed the line via a deflection off the unfortunate Leavi Oshungbure.

It didn’t take long for Quorn to restore their lead, just two minutes later Turner found room just outside the box, he turned well before firing a superb effort into the top corner, over the despairing dive of Paul Hathaway. This stung the visitors into action and soon after McMillan rescued Quorn with a fine save to deny Rathbone a second.

The 2nd period saw a reversal of the first half, with Quorn having to defend for long periods. McMillan brilliantly clawing away a first-time effort from Josh Quaynor. Quorn responded and another Goold corner caused problems for the visitors, Nathan Dale crashing his header against the post before the ball was hacked away to safety.

As we headed towards the end, both sides were foiled by brilliant goalkeeping, first McMillan produced a one-handed reflex save to deny Quaynor again, followed shortly after by a superb full length save by Hathaway, who just got a hand to deflect Dale’s fine strike past the post after good work by Callum Thompson had created the chance.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2016-2017”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests