Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Chelmsley Town - Challenge Cup

First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Chelmsley Town - Challenge Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:03 am

Saturday 30th August 1980
Midland Combination Challenge Cup Round 1
Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Chelmsley Town

Scorers: Paul Hevingham 2.

Team: Terry Sammons, Steve Howes, Casey, Terry Allen, Hobbs, Morrissey, Poyner, Saunders, Paul Hevingham, Barrie Canning, Tolley.

Coleshill took command in the first twenty minutes but met stubborn resistance from Chelmsley as the game got under way. After several close misses Coleshill finally took the lead from a fine solo midfield run down the left by Hobbs whose accurate cross was netted by Hevingham. Coleshill were caught by the Chelmsley off side trap. In the 16th and 18th minute Poyner hit the upright twice. In the 21st minute, Judge, for Chelmsley, was put clear but was foiled by the goalkeeper. Saunders hit the upright from 20 yards and Tolley did similarly in the 25th minute for Coleshill.
Half Time: Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Chelmsley Town.

Chelmsley Unlucky At Coleshill

Coleshill just scrapped through to the Second Round of the Midland Combination Challenge Cup, at the expense of their Second Division opponents. With a strong wind in their favour, Coleshill had the upper hand for the first twenty minutes and goalkeeper Appleby saved Chelmsley, pushing Poyner's shot onto the post. Then a fierce drive from Tolley for Coleshill scraped the wrong side of the post. Coleshill took the lead when Hobbs ran 40 yards down the flank, drew Appleby out and squared the ball for Hevingham to score. Chelmsley fought back and it was Coleshill's turn to defend, as Nabbs went close with a fine header. In the second half Coleshill quickly added a second goal, with Poyner cutting inside his full back and hitting a volley which Appleby could only parry, and Hevingham tapped the ball home from six yards. Chelmsley came under more pressure but Joyce and Hastilo weathered the storm, and with Porter and Weaver taking command in midfield, it was no surprise when Chelmsley scored. The goal came from the penalty spot. Judge outpaced Allen down the left flank to cross the ball for Harvey to shoot past the keeper and a defender handled the ball on the line. Ray Nabbs placed his penalty shot well wide of Sammons right hand. Chelmsley were now really on top with Bridge's speed causing havoc. Sammons made a flying save from Nabbs, who then hit the rebound inches wide. Then Viger headed Weaver's cross inches over the bar. With so much pressure on them Coleshill pulled off a forward and sent on a defender, while Chelmsley replaced Bridge with Robinson. The pressure was kept up by Chelmsley right to the final whistle, and Judge was unlucky to see his shot hit the angle of the bar, with Sammons beaten, but Coleshill hung on to win.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests