Westfields 1 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Westfields 1 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Saturday 14th April 2018
Midland Football League Premier
Westfields 1 v 1 Coleshill Town
Fields: Ben Miller.
Hill: Matt Gardner.
Attendance: 112.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Philip Glover (Westfields) Paul Hathaway (Coleshill)

Westfields: Alex Harris, Sam Gwynne, Sam Plane, Phil Glover, James Febery, Kane Kahaki, Craig Jones, Alex Hainault, Aidan Thomas, Adgei Kingsford, Carlos Moreira. Subs Kieran Blackburn GK, Ben Miller, Mark Magee, Brad Williams, Seth Antwi.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Liam Molesworth (Dean Rathbone), Joe Cole, Gio Dainty, Exodus Geohaghon, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, Matt Gardner (Joel Grandison), Reece Leek, Joe Smith. Subs not used Dom Cotter GK, Demitrius Smikle, Ryan Meredith.

Coleshill Town were held to a 1-1 draw at Westfields, and Town and Highgate are battling for second spot behind leaders Bromsgrove Sporting. Town and Highgate are level on 77 points but with Gate having two games in hand. A Matt Gardner header midway through the second half was only good enough to earn Coleshill a point with Westfields sub Ben Miller levelling 15 minutes from the end. The home side held on for a point even though they had fellow substitute Mark Magee sent off in the final stages.


Two points from the last Four games isn't championship/promotion form.
Coleshill were flying in March and walloped champions elect Bromsgrove Sporting on their own patch but since then their form has dipped just at the business end of the season.
And just because they have nothing to play for it doesn't mean the opposition are going to lie down. At the final whistle yesterday Westfields were cock-a-hoop that they had prevented Town from gaining three points, the reputation they have gained over the last few years means they are still a scalp.

Westfields had the majority of possession in the first half but didn't really test Town keeper Paul Hathaway. Febery sent a diving header wide and Moreira also headed wide. A Joe Cole cross was flicked on by Joe Halsall to Reece Leek but his lobbing effort went over the bar. Home keeper Harris saved easily from a Ryan Edmunds shot. Town keeper Paul Hathaway punched clear a dangerous cross and Fields stopper Harris repeated the act as he punched away a powerful shot from Gio Dainty. Somehow Coleshill were denied the opening goal as a Reece Leek cross caused havoc in the home six yard box with Matt Gardner, Joe Halsall and Ryan Edmunds tried to get the ball over the line but somehow it was scrambled clear. Liam Molesworth had a chance at the far post from a Ryan Edmunds cross but again the home side got bodies in the way. With half time in sight Danny Tymon took one for the team as Westfields broke quickly and outnumbered the visitors defence.

Coleshill improved in the second half and spent more time in the opposition half. Westfields had a big shout for hand ball as Joe Smith blocked a Kingsford shot but it would have been harsh. A Ryan Edmunds shot took a deflection but still needed a save from Harris, then Harris was at full stretch to tip away a Reece Leek cross, the ball landing at the feet of Liam Molesworth but his goal bound shot was once again blocked by a defender. Jones shot over the bar when well placed. Coleshill had their own shout for a penalty when Liam Molesworth went down in the box and Thomas' fine run and cross needed a touch but there was no one available to take advantage as the game opened up. The Colemen took the lead on 62 minutes when Reece Leek found Joe Smith in the 18 yard box and his cross to the far post was headed goalward by Matt Gardner. The home keeper easily got to the attempt but managed to juggle the ball into the net. Westfields hit back and Thomas' right foot shot went just past the far post thanks to a slight deflection. Another shout for a penalty came as sub Miller went to ground at one end and Liam Molesworth was took out when free on goal but the referee was having non of it. With just 15 minutes to hold out for a precious three points the Town defence went missing as Miller latched on to a through ball that left him with yards and yards of space and he rolled the ball under Hathaway. Fields were reduced to ten men with ten to go, two quick yellow cards for substitute Magee, and Town pushed for a winner. The best effort fell to Gio Dainty but his cracking shot brought the best save of the game from Harris. Dean Rathbone took to the pitch for the first time since December and almost won it as his goalbound shot was blocked with a hand and another penalty appeal went begging.

All is not lost with FIVE games to go but it has to be FIVE WINS starting with the last home game on Saturday, 21st April, against bottom team Rocester.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests