Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 1981-1982

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Saturday 24th April 1982
Midland Combination Division One
Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Highgate United
Scorer: Steve Evans.

P33 W11 D6 L16 F37 A58 Pts28 Pos14/22

Team: Mark Hollins, Steve Pollack, Dave Moore, Keith Shrimpton, John Gardner, Ford, Wilson, Barry Tempest, Ron Cartwright, Micky Calvert, Kevin Tipton. Sub Jenkins. Confirmed.

Highgate United, lacking the services of former Birmingham City striker Summerhill and midfielder Steve Dunn, looked anything but championship contenders in the first half. Their closest attempt came after five minutes when Donnelly forced keeper Hollins to divert his fierce shot around the post. Neither side was able to break down right defences and few clear cut chances were created. Highgate left back Bates was replaced by Clarke midway through the first half. Farr headed over the Coleshill bar from a Steve Evan's free kick after 28 minutes. Highgate were awarded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area after 34 minutes when Gardner brought Southall down. Watt's free kick was diverted for a corner which was easily cleared. Calvert forced a fine save from Lawrence with a 20 yard drive. Watts shot narrowly wide of a Coleshill post.
Half Time Coleshill 0 Highgate 0
Evans broke the deadlock in the 80th minute when he crashed in a curling free kick from 20 yards which gave Hollins little chance as it flew into the far corner of the net.

Highgate picked up two points, but they made hard work of beating a Coleshill side ravaged by injuries. Without Phil Summerhill to lead their attack the Highgate forwards never functioned and they can thank a superb free kick by defender Steve Evan's that gave them the only goal of the match.

United End Famine

Highgate United ended their goal famine after 260 minutes of football which has seriously damaged their championship hopes. Left back Steve Evans curled a free kick from 20 yards out of the reach of Coleshill's reserve keeper Collins (this might be Hollins) into the far corner of the net in the 80th minute of a game in which they had been by far the better side. But as with the previous two games against Cradley Town and Stratford Town, from which Highgate took only one point, their forward line seemed totally blunted when presented with scoring opportunities. Tony Donnelly forced Collins to push his hard shot around the post for a corner after five minutes in what was their best chance in the first half. Highgate, already weakened by the absence of schemer Phil Summerhill and midfielder Steve Dunn, lost right back Steve Bates with an injury midway through the first half. Just as it seemed that Highgate's poor spell would continue, with them dropping another needless point, Steve Evans' goal came out of the blue to keep their fading title hopes alive, although a runners-up spot now seems on the cards.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1981-1982”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests