Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Kidlington

First Team Match Reports 2018-2019

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Kidlington

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Saturday 10th November 2018
Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central
Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Kidlington
Scorers: Liam Molesworth, George Washbourne.
Attendance: 139.
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored by Greensleeves: Matt Jackson.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Josh Webb, Craig Deakin, Matt Jackson, Guy Clark, Joe Smith, Connor Doyle (Pierce Kiembi), Gio Dainty, Nick Seabourne (Kyle Hayden), George Washbourne (Kane Baldwin). Sub not used Matt Coton.

Greens: Sam Warrell, Jack Quainton (Josh Tooke), Tom Castle, Jack Bernisconi, Tom Franklin, Olly Stanbridge (Ben Willoughby), Declan Benjamin, Elliot Osborn-Ricketts, Anaclet Odhiambo, Brad Singh (Harry Williams), Nick Thorne. Subs not used James Organ, Josh Urquart.

Kidlington belied their place at the foot of the table by pushing the Colemen all the way at Pack Meadow before losing out to a second half double. The home side had the better of the chances in the first period with Connor Doyle having a shot saved by keeper Sam Warrell who also did well to dive full-length to keep out a George Washbourne effort. Nick Seabourne also went close with a glancing header that went just wide of the target while at the other end, Brad Singh was denied by Paul Hathaway in the Coleshill goal. The breakthrough came two minutes after the break when Washbourne's corner found Liam Molesworth who powered a header beyond the kidlington keeper. The visitors looked for a way back into the game but without reward. Kidlington still dictated the pace of the game but fell further behind on 76 minutes. Doyle teed up Washbourne who steered his shot into the corner of the net for 2-0. The Oxfordshire side pressed in the closing stages to grab a lifeline but were kept at bay by Hathaway who saved well from Elliot Osborn-Ricketts and Declan Benjamin.

Coleshill Town avoided an upset by securing a 2-0 win over bottom of the table Kidlington. In a half of few chances Connor Doyle had a shot saved by keeper Sam Warrell with his feet before Nick Seabourne's header went just wide. And Warrell had to be at his best to push away George Washbourne's shot. Kidlington went close themselves as Bradley Singh threatened to find the back of the net when his left foot shot was saved by Paul Hathaway. Coleshill were in front two minutes into the second half when Liam Molesworth powered in a header from a Washbourne corner. Kidlington still dictated the pace of the game but Coleshill had the better chances as Washbourne was denied by a great save from Warrell. On 76 minutes Coleshill made the game safe as Connor Doyle set up Washbourne who shot left footed into the bottom corner of the net. Hathaway saved from Elliot Osborn-Ricketts and Declan Benjamin as the visitors pushed for a goal, but Coleshill held firm with Matt Jackson dominant in defence.

Coleshill were looking to record their first back to back league wins since the first week of the season following last weeks fine away win at Berkhamsted and, on paper, they had a good chance against bottom of the table Kidlington who had just one victory to their name. But football isn’t played on paper and the visitors proved to be a much better side than the table would suggest. Kidlington proudly boast they are a village team, all be it one of the biggest villages in the country with a population more than double that of the town of Coleshill.

The Colemen were without both the tried and tested midfield pair of Captain Joe Halsall and Danny Tymon. Nick Seabourne made his league debut. Reece Leek and Ryan Edmunds both confirmed their moves to Nuneaton this week.

Coleshill started well with keeper Warrell punching away a George Washbourne free kick and Conner Doyle shot over following a corner. The visitors started to look comfortable on the Pack Meadow surface and kept the ball impressively but it was Coleshill that still had the better chances. Gio Dainty sent Connor Doyle free only to see Warrell save his effort with his feet and Josh Webb shot over the bar from just outside the box. Osborn-Rickets hit a volley into the ground making for an easy save for home keeper Paul Hathaway. Josh Webb sent in a cross that Nick Seabourne got the finest touch to but his header went just wide of the post. George Washbourne saw his free kick from 25 yards saved by the full length dive of Warrell and in the last action of the half Hathaway had to save from Singh’s stinging left foot shot. Goalless at half time.

Not the best 45 minutes from Coleshill but they immediately upped the pace in the second half and took the lead within two minutes. A sustained attack resulted in a corner and George Washbourne’s delivery found Liam Molesworth at the far post and he powered a header into the net. The pattern of the game continued with Kidlington having the major of possession but again Town having the better chances. Washbourne shot inches wide, Thorne had a goal bound shot blocked, Franklin header across goal that Matt Jackson cleared on the stretch then shots started raining in with Kidlington putting their bodies in the way and George Washbourne had a shot brilliantly saved by Warrell. Kidlington were still hopeful of getting something from the game but Coleshill got some breathing space on 76 minutes. Connor Doyle did really well to hold up play then tee up George Washbourne who shot left footed from just outside the box that evaded the diving Warrell and sneaked into the far corner of the net. 2-0. Osborn-Rickets’ shot looked good but never really tested Hathaway but Kidlington almost pulled a goal back as Paul Hathaway saved a Benjamin effort on the line and Osborne-Rickets shot over from 25 yards out as Coleshill held firm expertly marshalled by Man Of The Match Matt Jackson.

A View From The Other Side
A Match Report taken from Kidlington web site ... 66735.html
A Defeat On The Road
By Simon Dickens

Kidlington were indebted to the heroics of goalkeeper Sam Warrell, though in the end even these couldn't prevent The Greens losing this one.
Evo-stik League South One Central
Coleshill Town 2 Kidlington 0

The match itself was a fairly even affair for the first 20 minutes or so, but shortly after Warrell made the first of his tremendous saves the home side began to boss proceedings. Coleshill's George Washborne was the one to force Warrell into the save firing a fierce shot that the keeper got a hand to turning the ball behind for a corner.
Kidlington did calve out an opening on 28 minutes, however Elliott Osbourn-Ricketts, on the far post, could only fire his shot straight into the home keeper Paul Hathaway's arms.
Warrell then excelled himself pulling of a worldy of a save to deny a goal-bound free kick from that man Washbone again. The keeper dived across his goal to acrobatically keep out the shot and the game all square.
At half time the teams were locked at 0 - 0.
Into the second period and Kidlington went on the attack straight away. Bradly Singh made some room for himself before firing a fierce shot at goal, which the home keeper saved at the second attempt.
Almost immediately after this Coleshill took the lead. Gio Dainty was the scorer, he jumped well and put plenty of power into his header from a corner from the left and the ball fizzed into the net.
Kidlington made a double substitution on 63 minutes with Ben Willoughby and Harry Williams coming on to replace Brad Singh & Olli Stanbridge.
The introduction of these fresh legs seemed to give the Greens some impetus with the trickery and skill of Williams now becoming a feature of the game.
However, Kidlington couldn't find a way through and on 73 minutes only another brilliant save from Warrell, again from Washborne, prevented Kidlington going further behind.
Washborne wasn't to miss out though. On 75 minutes he effectively killed the game off when he netted with a vicious shot from the edge of the box after the ball had been played back to him.
There was a moment of controversy in the 78th minute. Osborn-Rickets hit a powerful shot from distance, home keeper Hathaway dropped the ball and it went behind him before being fielded once again. The Kidlington players all appealed that the ball had crossed the line, but their appeals fell on deaf ears as the referee waived play on.
With the home side now firmly in control it became more difficult for the away side, though a scramble after a corner wasn't cleared in the 87th minute. This saw the ball fall invitingly for Tommy Castle who's shot was eventually hacked off the line.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2018-2019”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests