Welwyn Garden City 2 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2018-2019

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Welwyn Garden City 2 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Saturday 17th November 2018
Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central
Welwyn Garden City 2 v 2 Coleshill Town
Citizens: Danny Payne, Jon Clements.
Colemen: Nick Seabourne, Joe Smith.
Attendance: 95.

Welwyn: Daniel Green, Danny May, Jonny Sexton, Danny Payne, Dara Dada (Daniel Bond), Dave Corran, Jay Rolfe, Ben Spaul, Stuart Zanone (Ashley Kersey), Nick Elliot, Jon Clements. Sub not used Lee Close.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Josh Webb (Kyle Hayden), Craig Deakin (Connor Doyle), Matt Jackson, Guy Clark, Joe Smith, Liam Molesworth, Joe Halsall, Nick Seabourne, George Washbourne, Gio Dainty. Subs not used Chris Gibson GK, Kane Baldwin.

Coleshill fought back from two goals down at the break to share the spoils. Town were lucky not to be further behind at half-time rather than just trailing by hits from Danny Payne and Jon Clements. But Nick Seabourne, on 65 minutes, and Joe Smith, with 10 minutes left, levelled matters.

Only one point separated Welwyn Garden City and Coleshill Town before they played out a 2-2 draw. Ben Spaul's cross half-cleared to captain Danny Payne who fired into the Coleshill net. Two minutes later Jon Clements got a toe to the ball before it could be cleared and the ball was in the net again. Nick Seabourne got his first goal for Coleshill as he headed in on 66 minutes and they went and levelled ten minutes from time when Connor Doyle cut inside and buried his shot. (His shot was saved and Joe Smith smashed it into the net)

A lovely day for football, on a flat but heavy pitch and only one point between the sides at start of play.
Coleshill started well but fell away and Welwyn scored two and hit the post twice in the first half. Dave Curran took a free kick from the right side of the box and his left footed effort hit the post. Nick Seaborne headed down to Gio Dainty and his lob from 30 yards only just went over the bar, a right foot effort from Dainty deflected for a corner, and Dainty again headed a Josh Webb cross over the bar. On 23 minutes a Ben Spauld cross was half cleared to home captain Danny Payne who hit a hard low shot into corner. Two minutes later Matt Jackson was sheparding the ball back when Jon Clements got a toe to it and the ball went straight into the net. Coleshill had a shout for a penalty when Joe Halsall went down in the box but it would have been generous. Joe Smith sent Nick Seabourne free down the right and his cross found George Washbourne at the near post but he hit his volley wide. Just before half time Elliot hit the woodwork again with a 25 yard shot and from a Spaul cross Stuart Zanone's header was prevented from crossing the goal line by a great save from keeper Paul Hathaway.

The home side hit the woodwork again early in the second half through a Stuart Zanone shot but Coleshill were much improved in the second half with sub Kyle Hayden adding passion and pace. Nick Seabourne recorded his first goal for Coleshill as he headed in a George Washbourne corner on 66 minutes and the Colemen levelled on 82 when Connor Doyle cut inside to his unfavoured right foot. His shot was parried by keeper Green and Joe Smith was on hand to power the ball home. It was a much better contest and either side could have won it but the home side came closest when substitute Ashley Kersley hit the bar with a header late on and Paul Hathaway saved from Nick Elliot’s strike from 25 yards.
A game of two halves which Coleshill could have won having been 2-0 down but a draw was probably a fair result.

Coleshill now lie in 7th place and the next two games are against sides in the bottom three. Life is hard at Level 4 but Town are coping quite well!

A match Report taken from the Welwyn web site
http://welwyngardencityfc.org.uk/wgc-v- ... 4594472590

WELWYN GC were held to their second, successive score draw, when they hosted Midlands side Coleshill Town for the first time, at the BP Mitchell Stadium.

WGC will rue squandering a two goal interval lead and point to the fact that they rattled the Coleshill woodwork four times in this evenly contested game, but the truth was that the Warwickshire outfit were never out of the contest, even when the Citizens led 2-0.

In a strong second-half recovery, Coleshill wrested back the iniatitive and it was WGC who were holding on for a point towards the final whistle.

Herns Lane manager Adam Fisher gave new signing Dara Dada his WGC debut in midfield, switching Jay Rolfe to central defence, while his other new capture Dave Keenleyside was unavailable.

Otherwise, Fisher retained the side that had demolished a youthful Kempston side in the Southern League Cup in midweek.

There was an early chance for the home team as they tried to capitalize on a poor goalkick by Coleshill keeper Paul Hathaway. Nick Elliott latched onto it and was closing in on goal, when visiting central defender Guy Clark put in a goal-saving challenge to dispossess the midfielder.

WGC struck the Coleshill woodwork for the first time in the eighth minute. From a free-kick 20 yards out, defender Dave Corran curled a clever free-kick around the wall, only to see it strike the far post with Hathaway beaten.

The visitors replied with an audacious long-range effort from Gio Dainty, who spotting WGC keeper Dan Green yards off his line, tried his luck from 35 yards and was only just over.

Coleshill looked dangerous at this stage and it required a goalline clearance from full-back Jon Sexton to keep WGC on terms, as visiting forwards Nick Seabourne and George Washbourne beat the WGC offside trap and Washbourne’s effort was heading in, but for Sexton’s intervention.

Then a two goal in as many minutes double salvo, wrested back the iniatitive for WGC.

Firstly Danny May’s good cross was only cleared to the edge of their area by Coleshill’s defence. WGC skipper Danny Payne collected and struck a finely placed low effort through a crowded area, past Hathaway into the bottom corner, for 1-0.

That was in 23 minutes. Two minutes later, Coleshill paid for fatal hesitation from defender Matt Jackson. As he dithered over a back pass to his keeper or clearing the ball, Jon Clements stepped in, dispossessed him and struck WGC’s second again low past Hathaway to change the game completely.

WGC staged something of a bombardment on the Coleshill goal late in the half in an attempt to make the points safe.

On the stroke of half-time, Elliott collected 20 yards out and struck a powerful effort beyond Hathaway, only to see it hit the far post and bounce out to safety.

In first-half injury time, a good WGC move involving Danny May, Ben Spaul with a pinpoint cross and a close-in bullet header from Stuart

Zanone saw Hathaway pull off a spectacular close range save, tipping the effort over.

The second-half opened with WGC hitting the Coleshill woodwork a third time.

This time, Zanone, who had one of his quieter games since joining the club, placed his shot wide of keeper Hathaway, only to see it suffer the same fate as earlier efforts from Corran and Elliott – strike a post and bounce away.

But for the final half-hour of the game it was Coleshill, who began to look the more impressive side.

Their improvement was given hope on 65 minutes, when from a right-wing corner, the tall Seabourne escaped his markers and beat Green with a finely placed header into the roof of the net for 2-1.

This really pepped up the Midlanders and Green was forced to a smart save from substitute Hayden, full-back Deakin putting the rebound wide of a gaping net.

WGC and their keeper weren’t so lucky six minutes from time.

Another Coleshill substitute Connor Doyle cut in from the left and struck a powerful effort, Green got down and pushed it away, but only to eager midfielder Joe Smith, who slipped in the rebound, to make it 2-2.

It was WGC who were really hanging on at this stage but two minutes from time, they broke out of their defensive shell to force a late attack and Clements’ late effort almost won it, but his lofted shot over keeper Hathaway suffered the same fate as three others before it, striking the Coleshill crossbar and rebounding out!

WGC: Green, May, Rolfe, Corran, Sexton, Payne, Elliott, Spaul, Dada (Bond 62), Zanone (Kersey 79), Clements.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2018-2019”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests