Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Tipton Town

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Tipton Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 am

Saturday 26th April 2014
Midland Alliance
Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Tipton Town
Colemen: Matt Brown, Dean Rathbone, Chris Lloyd.
Tipton: John Hill.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Leon Weller, Ashley Bradshaw, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards, James Williams (Danny Tymon), Barry Fitzharris, Chris Lloyd (Elison Porter), Dean Rathbone, Matt Brown, Ryan Nash (Nick Ellis). Subs not used Will Worthington, Jack Hullin.

Coleshill finally laid to rest the woeful record they had against Tipton Town! Since coming together in the Alliance in 2008, Town have played the Black Country outfit twelve times and this was their first win! Nine defeats and two draws was the best they could muster previously but on the final day of a record breaking season it was fitting that they overcame the hoodoo!

Coleshill were out of the blocks sharp and continued where they left off on Bank Holiday Monday when they thrashed Coventry Sphinx 6-0. Matt Brown had the ball in the net after only two minutes, his 25th of the season. Two minutes later Dean Rathbone finished off a fine move to double the lead and on 15 minutes Chris Lloyd made it 3-0! Game over, well at least it should have been. Tipton, who finished the season in 11th place but have made the final of the League Cup, came more into the game as Town took their foot off the gas. A scrambled goal on 36 minutes was just reward for the visitors efforts, half time 3-1.

Tipton were the better team in the second half but Coleshill still had chance after chance to put the game out of reach. The visitors keeper came to the rescue several times with Matt Brown the main man to be denied. At the other end Coleshill keeper and captain also had a great game. Not only did he tip a thunderous free kick onto the bar and away to safety but he also saved a penalty from the same player. Coleshill held on to finish the season in 4th place, the highest position on the non-league pyramid system in their 129 year history!


Coleshill Town Football Club Column
by Matty Adams

Coleshill Town 3-1 Tipton Town

Scorers: Coleshill Town: Brown 2′ Rathbone 11′ Lloyd 16′.

Tipton Town: Hill 37′.

Date: Saturday 26th April 2014 KO: 15:00PM

Starting Line-Ups:

Coleshill Town: Paul Hathaway (C), Leon Weller, Ashley Bradshaw, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards, Barry Fitzharris, Chris Lloyd (Ellison Porter 79′), James Williams (Danny Tymon 67′), Matt Brown, Dean Rathbone, Ryan Nash (Nick Ellis 76′). SUBS NOT USED: Will Worthington, Jack Hulin.

Tipton Town: James Pemberton, Joe Rogers, Connor Caber, John Hill, Chris Waterhouse (C), Danny Ashton (Mensah Kinoh 35′), Lee Wharton, Mike Perks (Rob Perks 76′), Callum Martin (Chris Rabone 70′), Marvin Nesbitt, Ben Hadley. SUBS NOT USED: Luke Adams.

In the final game of the season, expectations from Coleshill Town fans were high and they weren’t to be disappointed. Within the opening quarter of an hour, the hosts went 3-0 up with some wonderful team goals from Matt Brown, Dean Rathbone and Chris Lloyd. Having dominated the first half hour, Tipton Town pulled one back just before half time through Hill. Tipton then squandered a couple of glorious opportunities in the second half including a free kick off the bar by Caber. Caber also saw a penalty saved by Coleshill Town captain Paul Hathaway. In the end when the dust had settled and the smoke had cleared, it was The Colemen who reigned victorious and ended the season in 4th place.

Prior to the game, Coleshill didn’t have many injury worries. Declan Kirby was still out with a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle whilst Jack Hulin was a doubt with an injury however was included in the sixteen man squad. Having recovered from their heavy 5-1 defeat to AFC Wulfrunians last weekend with a 6-0 demolition of Coventry Sphinx on Bank Holiday Monday, The Colemen were determined to finish the season on a positive note.

In fact, Coleshill were that eager to get out of the starting blocks, they took the lead with just 2 minutes on the clock. With his 25th goal of the season, Coleshill striker Matt Brown turned in Lloyd’s creative pass to mark his final game with a goal before his big football move to America in the summer.

11 minutes in and Coleshill doubled their advantage. Chris Lloyd was once again sublime and effective down the right wing and pulled the ball back to the ever present threat of Dean Rathbone who fired home past Pemberton.

Coleshill then added a third five minutes later as a defensive slip up cost Tipton on this occasions allowing Chris Lloyd to take advantage and add to his two assists with a simple yet well taken goal making it 3-0 and virtually putting the game out of reach for the League Cup finalists.

Just prior to the half hour mark, Coleshill almost made it 4-0. Brown whipped a promising ball into winger Ryan Nash however his attempt was saved by the Tipton Town number one. Tipton Town then had their first real opportunity of the game on 31 minutes. A delicious ball was delivered into the area however Wharton tapped it the wrong side of the post keeping the score at 3-0.

Then on 37 minutes, Tipton Town did pull a goal back. Following a set piece delivery, John Hill reacted quickest and pounced first sliding the ball beyond Hathaway to keep Tipton in the game.

Following the Tipton goal, the crowd were provided with end to end entertainment in the run up to half time. Tipton Town should’ve scored again 3 minutes later however like Superman in a pair of goalie gloves, Paul Hathaway saved the day with an instinctive hand to the ball. Coleshill then immediately countered up the other end with Brown however he fell in the area then seeing his shot blocked on the line. Tipton were then denied in the same fashion after Hathaway dropped the ball in mid-air seeing Nesbitt try and take advantage but Danny Douglas was there on the line to deny the striker.

Following the interval, Coleshill and Tipton came out even more focused and motivated than they were in the first half. Matt Brown should’ve added a fourth for Coleshill however his effort whistled just wide of the keeper’s right post. Minutes later, the visitors were down the opposite end stirring up trouble. Substitute Kinoh whipped an incredible ball into Nesbitt who met it with his head yet somehow put it wide.

On the 54th minute, Tipton were awarded a free kick. Left back Connor Caber stepped up and his powerful strike was tipped onto the bar by the strong hands of Paul Hathaway. Then ten minutes later, Hathaway came to the rescue again for Coleshill as Williams gave away a penalty. Caber stepped up to try and redeem himself for his free-kick miss but was once again denied by the in-form skipper, Hathaway, who tipped the ball away.

With 20 minutes to go, Coleshill decided to try and put the game to bed. Substitute Danny Tymon was provided with a glorious opportunity to wrap up proceedings however his shot was saved in dramatic fashion by Pemberton. Then 7 minutes later, Tymon had another chance to see off the opposition but he put his shot wide of the goal.

On the 84th minute, Paul Hathaway simply emphasises why he was man of the match with a superb reaction save denying Hill his second goal from just 2 yards out. The full time whistle then blew and with their 23rd win of the campaign, Paul Casey’s men ended up finishing 4th in the Midland Football Alliance on 78 points.

Match report courtesy of Sports Journalist Matty Adams. Follow Matty on Twitter at @mattyadams19. You can also check out his blog called The Adams Experience at where he covers all things related to football, motorsport and professional wrestling. Check out his absolute must see interviews and match highlights plus much more on his YouTube channel at

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest