Highgate United 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1991-1992

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 am

Saturday 15th February 1992
Influence Midland Combination Premier
Highgate United 2 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Rob Bradley pen.

Team: Mark Hart, Martin Wyatt, Rob Bradley, Neil Chatwin, Mark Bennett, Mark Hopkins, Steve Whipps, Jim Rosborough, Phil Bailey, Trevor Burroughs, Dave Coleman. Subs: Ian Cockerill, Malcolm Teeling. (Confirmed)

P30 W8 D13 L9 F36 A38 Pts37 Pos11

Highgate United extended their unbeaten run to 12 games despite a terrific fight back by Coleshill Town. Fresh from their superb away draw at VS Rugby mid-week, it was no surprise when the home side stormed into a 13th minute lead. Keeper Hart could only parry a shot from Malcolm and Caughey hammered the ball over the line. Former Coleshill striker Douglas, who played a major part in that goal, himself got on the score-sheet after 24 minutes. But Coleshill were not to be daunted and virtually dominated the last hour of the game, only to be foiled by resolute defending and painfully poor finishing. Caughey conceded a penalty after 78 minutes when he fouled Wyatt on the edge of the penalty box. Bradley hit his spot-kick against the foot of the post but it was ordered to be re-taken and he made no mistake the second time.

Highgate romped into a two goal lead against a Coleshill Town outfit seemingly obsessed with back-passes. Chapman raced off his line to clear the ball from the feet of Burroughs who had broken clear of the Highgate defence after six minutes. The opening goal came after 13 minutes when an excellent high cross from Douglas found Malcolm whose shot was half stopped on the line by Hart, Caughey ran in to smash the ball over the line before Hart could smother it. Coleshill replied with a dipping header from Bailey which was well stopped on the line by the diving Chapman. Highgate went further ahead on 21 minutes when former Coleshill player Douglas saw a high corner kick float into the far side of the net well out of the reach of Hart.
Half Time: Highgate 2 v 0 Coleshill.

Unconvincing Gate

This was one of those games, when the result was far more important that the performance, as draws for all the other leading sides, ensured Highgate's three points helped them retrieve lost ground. They now leap-frog over Pershore Town into third place but need to perform far better if they hope to maintain their title challenge. But, after the excellent result as VS Rugby mid-week, this match was always going to be an anti-climax. However, no one could predict Highgate would give such a lethargic display and struggle to contain mid-table opposition. With Mike Gray resting with a muscle strain, Manager John Busst gave Ramsey Douglas his first full league game. Highgate took the early initiative and opened the scoring in the 14th minute. Neat build up play led to Brian McGarry's corner kick being miskicked by Douglas, only for Malcolm to follow up and score at the second attempt. And Hart was even more at fault ten minutes later when Douglas' corner kick sailed directly into the net. With the cushion of a two goal lead, Highgate began to relax and handed territorial advantage to Coleshill. But Burroughs wasted a clear-cut opportunity in the 40th minute when he hooked the ball wide of an open goal. Coleshill continued to attack after the break and were rewarded when they earned a 77th minute penalty when Tommy Caughey chased back to illegally tackle Wyatt on the edge of his box. Full back Bradley converted the resultant penalty at the second attempt. Coleshill threw everyone forward in search of the equaliser but Highgate held firm to clinch maximum points.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1991-1992”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests