Coleshill Town 4 v 1 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 1992-1993

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 4 v 1 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:34 am

Saturday 15th May 1993
Ansells Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 4 v 1 Highgate United
Scorers: John Taylor 2, Jonathan Johnson, Paul Wilson.

Team: Mark Hart, John Taylor, Jonathan Johnson, Paul Wilson, Mark Hopkins, Colin Cooke. (Confirmed) Jim Rosborough, Stuart Randall, Mark Bennett, Steve Whipps, Neil Hughes. Subs Trevor Burroughs, Phil Bailey. (Probable but not Confirmed)

P38 W21 D6 L11 F63 A44 Pts69 Pos7/20

Double Blow For Highgate

Highgate ended the season on a low note, two heavy defeats in five days ending a mini-revival and finding the side four players from the bottom of the Premier Division. Saturday's reverse saw the home side complete a comfortable double, and the winning margin could well have been greater as United played second fiddle throughout to an experienced Coleshill outfit. Watching Bromsgrove Rovers manager Bobby Hope must have been disappointed with what he saw from the visitors', but it was the performance of Coleshill's Johnson that caught the eye as he tore Gate's defence apart at will. The opening 20 minutes gave little indication of what was to come as United were more than a match for the opposition, but once again neat build up play led to little threat around goal as leading scorer Gary Annand ploughed a lone furrow up front. The first threat on goal saw Highgate's defence appealing for off-side as Taylor was given room to lob a foot wide, whilst at the other end Wayne Rowley's fine through ball was just too long for Annand. Rowley went on a 35 yard run, only to stumble at the crucial moment, but the home side threatened twice in quick succession. Johnson rolled his sixth minute shot along the goal line and Hopkins' swirling volley drifted just wide. Some good open football ended with Lee Ebbutt's cross coming back off the crossbar as the main obstacle to both teams proved to be the strong wind. Taylor crashed a 12 yard effort against the legs of Rob Curley, whilst Curley's over-lap and cross ended with Cooke clearing up as Andy Taylor waited to pounce. Within the space of five minutes the course of the game changed. Hopkins' 21st minute cross found Taylor all alone at the far post to head home, and after keeper Mervyn Thomas had saved well from Johnson, he failed to gather the resulting corner, allowing Johnson to fire home from close range. Before the second goal Highgate's Page was unlucky to see his header deflected behind, but the quick one-two put Coleshill in the driving seat, and Johnson wasted two good chances before the break. The restart saw home keeper Hart juggle Robert Higgs' long, high ball to safety as Gate played to many hopeful balls. Gate went further behind ten minutes later when Hopkins crossed for Taylor to head firmly into the far corner. A minute later the visitors reduced the arrears, Page unleashing an unstoppable 30 yard shot which flew past the startled Hart. A period of Highgate pressure saw Hart first catch Curley's dangerous cross and then grasp Lee Ebbutt's half volley under the crossbar. Town survived these rare attacks and in the 80th minute Taylor set up Wilson to drive in goal number four.

Won last eight games which resulted in Brian Jordan being awarded Manager Of The Month!

Best season since 1983/84 when finished Runners-Up!

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1992-1993”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest