Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 1994-1995

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:11 am

Saturday 8th April 1995
Skol Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Highgate United
Scorer: Jamie Shipway.

P27 W7 D7 L13 F39 A54 Pts28 Pos9/18

Team: Darren Baker, Jamie Shipway, Jason Phillips. (Murphy maybe) (Confirmed)

Struggling Highgate United went down 1-0 at Coleshill Town with Jamie Shipway netting the 24th minute match winner from close range after latching on to a Jason Phillips cross.

Gate Fail To Take Points

Although Highgate put on a vastly improved performance, they still failed to take any points as the Shirley-based side went down to a 25th minute Jamie Shipway goal. New Manager Jim Sims rang the changes with the introduction of Sean Baylis in goal and Sunday footballers Richard Flynn and Michael Layton at the heart of the defence that saw the return of Tony Carter, whilst up front Kevin Ibrahim added pace along side the height of Paul Busst. Sims experience and success with Sunday Festival side Earlswood Town should stand him in good stead in his attempts to evade relegation from the Premier Division. But with time running out and a congested end of season fixture list, it is down to the players to show the necessary commitment and effort. On Saturday both were in evidence as the new look side battled in vain for a draw, but a lack of penetration up front following neat build up play was the main difference between the two sides desperate for points. Both keepers saw early action as Baylis hacked clear from Layton's back pass and Coleshill's Baker raced out of his box to head Carter's long high ball away from Morton. Baylis saved brilliantly to keep out Shipway's volley, and in a lively opening period Shipway again volleyed wide before firing another effort into the side netting. Highgate were taking time to settle and Coleshill always looked dangerous going forward with the pace of Shipway and Phillips causing all sorts of problems. Gate looked to have taken a 17th minute lead when Baker punched David Cameron's cross into his own goal, but with the top of the net bulging, the referee amazingly waved play on, giving the home defence time to clear. Baker then tipped Ibrahim's cross for a corner and with the visitors back in the game, Busst robbed the keeper only to see the loose ball run harmlessly out of play. Coleshill took a 25th minute lead in the cruellest of ways when Carter's attempted clearance rebounded of Murphy to set up Shipway with the easiest of close range chances. Highgate twice went close to an equaliser within the space of a minute, when first Ibrahim fired a 12 yard volley into Baker's chest and then Cameron sneaked in behind the defence to lift the ball over from just two yards out. Paul Morton's low volley brought a fine save out of Baker, with David Willetts' follow up effort being deflected behind. Carter's header out of defence allowed Ibrahim a first time strike on goal but it whistled past the upright, and when Willetts swung wildly at Shaw's low cross, the loose ball fell for Ibrahim whose shot drifted wide. Highgate's final fling saw Baker catch Busst's shot under the crossbar, but Coleshill almost had the final say when Shipway again turned a Phillips cross over from close range.

Improved Gate Beaten Again

Another defeat for Highgate but the Shirley based side produced a vastly improved performance as they went down to a cruel 25th minute goal. A shaky start put the home side in the drivers seat with Baylis saving brilliantly to deny Shipway who put two further efforts wide. The visitors quickly regained their composure and should have had a 17th minute lead when keeper Baker appeared to have punched David Cameron's cross over his own line. But Shipway put the home side ahead in the 25th minute finding himself alone in front of goal. Paul Morton brought a low save out of Baker and just a minute later Ibrahim's effort whistled past the upright. Gate's last chance saw Baker make an instinctive 88th minute save to dent Ibrahim.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1994-1995”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests