Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Dudley Sports

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Dudley Sports

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:34 pm

Scorers: Pete Hall, Kenny Howell.

Coleshill claimed all three points with their third consecutive clean sheet against Dudley Sports. There was little between the sides in the first encounter back in December, before Sports scored three late goals to give the scoreline a flattering look, and this game was similar but Coleshill deserved the win with a goal in each half, both from Chris Davies assists. The midfielder who is shortly off to coach in America, had his most influential game for Town so far.

Mitchell Thompson and Simon Bradbury were both missing but Frank Woodburn returned having missed the last two games and Kenny Howell made only his third appearance after recovering from injury. The Pack Meadow pitch had dried out amazingly quickly from the winter rain and was hard and bumpy and both sides struggled to cope with the conditions in a scrappy opening twenty minutes. Coleshill slowly started to find their feet and create the best chances. Walker, Hall, Wagstaff, Howell and Davies all had shots blocked before their efforts could test the visiting keeper. Sports looked dangerous on the break but the league's leading scorer Gavin Mole must have left his shooting boots at home as he missed Dudley's best chances. A great Frank Woodburn tackle denied the big No10 just before he pulled the trigger and then when Steve Lees missed a clearance Mole shot just wide of the far post.
On 34 minutes a deep Kevin Wagstaff cross found Adrian Walker at the far post, he laid the ball back to Chris Davies who danced his way through the Sports defence before presenting the ball to Kenny Howell for a simple tap in, for his first goal of the season.

Sports came into the game much more in the second half gaining more possession than their had enjoyed in the first but Coleshill's defence looked solid leaving the Town keeper Craig Jones with very little work to do. A deep Wagstaff cross was well brought down by Howell but his shot hit the side netting. Howell and Walker combined from the edge of their own box to carve open the Sports defence but Walkers shot went just wide. The game was finally made secure on 85 minutes with the simplest of goals. Craig Jones took a goal kick and a delft headed flick from Chris Davies released Pete Hall with the Sports defence static. The forward continued his recent scoring spree by confidently lobbing the advancing keeper, to plant the ball into the net.

Team:- Craig Jones, Ashley Downer, Steve Lees, Derek Wilkes, Frank Woodburn, Adrian Walker, Carl Smith (Jamie Cartwright), Chris Davies, Kenny Howell (Lee Dempster), Pete Hall, Kevin Wagstaff. Sub not used, Chris Gee.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest