Alveston 1 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Alveston 1 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:57 pm

Scorers: Ade Walker, Chris Davies, Pete Hall.

Coleshill managed to take maximum points from their visit to lowly Alveston but made hard work of it. The strong wind made attractive football difficult but even so Town's level of performance dropped as it had done against Southam, proving they find it difficult to play against the poorer sides.

Coleshill so nearly took the lead in the first minute when the home keeper (and manager) called for the ball but came nowhere near getting it, leaving Pete Hall to shoot at goal but his effort was cleared off the line. That's where the entertainment stopped for most of the remainder of the half as the ball spent most of the time in the air or off the pitch. On the half hour mark Town had a period where they camped in the home box but with some desperate defending Alveston blocked, tackled and cleared off the line, shots by Ade Walker, Kevin Wagstaff and Carl Smith. The home team had one effort in that thirty minutes and that went sailing over the bar but with the wind at their backs they did carve out a couple of chances as the half drew to a close. Chris Davies made a fine sliding tackle to break up a promising move, then, as the defence backed off Micheal Glynn chanced his arm from 22 yards, his effort catching the wind and going away from the full length dive of Craig Jones in the Coleshill goal to find the top corner of the net. Simon Bradbury saw yellow as tempers flared in a niggly game throughout. With time running out in the first period a long clearance by Steve Lees found Kenny Howell who released Chris Davies who in turn was upended inside the box. Steve Lees stepped up to take the kick but his effort hit the angle of bar and post and deflected to safety.

The second half started in a similar vane but with the wind now on their backs Coleshill started to look as though they could take a grip of the game. On the hour mark clever play between Davies and Howell saw the later thunder a shot against the bar and bounce down on the line. The Assistant referee, well placed, wasn't going to give the goal but Pete Hall pounced to nod home for an equalizer. Coleshill stepped up the pace. Steve Lees saw a shot from distance just go over then Hall chased what looked to be a lost cause but on the stretch he crossed into the box, Howell stepped over to leave Ade Walker with an open goal but from 5 yards he lifted his shot over the bar. On 70 mins Alveston stepped up hoping to catch Coleshill offside but the plan went horribly wrong as Chris Davies found himself with acres of space. As the keeper came out to challenge Davies lobbed the ball goalward, the wind again playing a part before the ball dropped into the empty net. Lee Dempster thundered a shot against the bar and Pete Hall had a shot saved as Town looked to make the game safe but with time running out Alveston started to push forward. Although they got within shooting range a couple of times Craig Jones never had a save to make all afternoon but Town did have a scare in the last minute as Alveston appealed for a penalty with Simon Bradbury appearing to handle. The Referee waved play on and Coleshill switched to attack as Ade Walker, chipped the ball between defender and goalkeeper and just managed to catch up to the ball as it blew away in the wind to slide into the net.

Team:- Craig Jones, Ashley Downer (Chris Gee), Steve Lees, Derek Wilkes, Simon Bradbury, Adrian Walker, Carl Smith (Lee Dempster), Chris Davies, Pete Hall, Kenny Howell (Danny Nixon), Kevin Wagstaff.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests