West Midlands Police 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

West Midlands Police 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:08 pm

Saturday 20th MARCH 2004

Manager Mick Beadle had to shuffle the pack as the season draws to a close and several players missed the trip to The Police. Frank Woodburn, Kenny Howell, Adie Walker, and captain Carl Smith were all unavailable as well as Chris Davies who is spending the rest of the summer in America, coaching. Scott Beadle came in for his first game as he has recovered from injury but is well short of match practice and Justin Best took a place on the bench after impressing for the youth team.

The severe wind was to play a major part in the game which spoiled the chance to play good football on West Mids Police's excellent pitch. Coleshill started the better with the wind almost on their backs. A Wagstaff corner caused panic in the home defence and several Town players had shots blocked down, one right on the line seeing a big appeal for a goal. Police cleared directly to Lee Dempster who shot across goal but just past the far post. Mitchell Thompson had an effort charged down by the keeper and the ball fell to the feet of Pete Hall who cleverly pulled the ball back to Steve Lees who again saw his shot blocked. It was all Coleshill as a Dempster flick on found Hall but the home team's rather large keeper blocked again and as the ball fell to Wagstaff some desperate defending just managed to clear the danger. On twelve minutes the Police took an unlikely lead when Scott Beadle, under no pressure, gave the ball away to the home teams best player Jon Adams, and he confidently went on to finish in style past the dive of Craig Jones. The Police grew in confidence, the wind speed increased, and the result was stalemate for long periods, but Town still had the better of the few chances that were created. Disaster struck as the home team broke way again with a long ball. As Jones advanced to clear the ball held up in the wind and Martin Brown just managed to toe poke the ball past the keeper, then run it into an empty net for 2-0. This gave the Police a healthy cushion and as they grew in statue, they had the experience to put their foot on the ball and stifle the opposition. Chances became even fewer, and tempers flared with three Coleshill players finding themselves in the book. Funnily enough there were to be no yellow cards for the Police, even though they were as heavily involved as anyone.

This was a game decided by the taking of the few opportunities that came your way. Police scored from two of their three or four chances and Coleshill, who could have been two up before the home team scored, couldn?t converted any of their half dozen efforts.

Team:- Craig Jones, Ashley Downer, Steve Lees, Derek Wilkes, Simon Bradbury, Scott Beadle (Chris Gee), Jamie Cartwright (Danny Nixon), Lee Dempster, Pete Hall (Justin Best), Mitchell Thompson, Kevin Wagstaff.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest