Highgate United 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:42 pm

Scorer: Danny Nixon.

Coleshill had to dig deep into their reserves to come up with three points at Highgate, when, with several players already missing, they also lost Kevin Wagstaff and Lee Dempster, both due to injury, before there were twenty minutes on the clock. Last weeks returning hero Craig Davies brought a seven-day ban with him from Romulus but luckily only misses one game. Frank Woodburn, Ashley Downer and Adrian Walker were all also missing for varies reasons, so Gary Falconbridge and Danny Nixon, both excellent squad members, came in for rare starts, and Dean Farrington was available for only his second appearance after returning from a long-term injury.
Coleshill could have taken the lead as early as the second minute as Danny Nixon was put clear by a Carl Smith through ball. Nixon's low drive was well saved at the foot of the post and as the ball came out to Kevin Wagstaff the home keeper was quickly out to save at his feet. That was Wagstaff's last contribution as the influential midfielder limped off after only 14 minutes. The replacement was Dean Farrington who was expecting a run out at some stage after his long layoff but wasn't counting on 76 minutes. Town were enjoying the better of the play but the home side looked dangerous on the break especially if they employed the route one approach. One such move nearly paid dividends as Coleshill stood looking for an off side from a long kick with three United players clearly standing behind the visitors defence. The referee allowed play to go on as a midfield runner came from deep and attempted to lob the advancing Jones in the Town goal, the ball narrowly missing the upright. Pete Hall nearly intercepted a defensive back header but the keeper just beat him to the ball and then dove on the loose ball just as Falconbridge was lining up a shot. Highgate had the last chance of the half as they were generously awarded a free kick by the left corner flag. The deep cross found the head of an incoming attacker but flew inches wide.
With the wind now at their backs Coleshill continued to have the better of the play but couldn't find the killer touch. Nixon had a header wide at full stretch, Falconbridge cleverly worked his way along the bye line but his pull back fell to a defender and Farrington released Thompson but as the striker hesitated the keeper saved at his feet. A match that had been edgy all the way through erupted on 70 minutes when Lee Hatfield disliked a tackle by Chris Gee and kicked out in frustration. The referee immediately gave him his marching orders. It was to be the turning point in the game as within two minutes Coleshill took the lead. In a break away Pete Hall cleverly held up play and waited for support from Danny Nixon. Hall's astute pass sent Nixon free and although his shot lacked power it had enough pace to slide under the keepers body and into the net. Play opened up and both sides could have increased the scoring. Jones did well to save a rasping shot then at the other end Farrington and Nixon had efforts blocked. In an identical move to the goal Nixon chose to pass rather than shoot but Hall's effort went high and wide. On 88 minutes United piled forward in a desperate bid to get something from the game. A long throw was flicked on and then headed down at the far post but Jones saved with his feet and Falconbridge blocked the rebound. The last action was an ugly melee as tempers flared but Coleshill held on for a deserved win.

Team:- Craig Jones, Steve Lees, Gary Falconbridge, Simon Bradbury, Derek Wilkes, Danny Nixon, Carl Smith (Jamie Cartwright), Kevin Wagstaff (Dean Farrington), Lee Dempster (Chris Gee), Pete Hall, Mitchell Thompson.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests