Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Stratford Town

First Team Match Reports 2008-2009

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Stratford Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Saturday 28th February 2009
Midland Football Alliance
Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Stratford Town
Scorer: Matty Robinson 2 including a pen.

Matty Robinson scored a second half double, including one from the spot, as Coleshill Town beat Stratford Town 2-0.

A workman like performance rather than a sintillating one was the order of the day but even this was a big improvement on wednesday night against Tipton. The difference for me was the front two of Matty Robinson and Ben Porter. When these two player together they set the tone by sheer hard graft, they never give the opposition a second to dwell on the ball and they are the first line of defence for Coleshill. This never happened on wednesday with Porter having a slight injury problem, but Matty on his own at first and then later joined by Jae Martin just didn't have the same impact, and that seemed to filter through to the rest of the team with few coming out of the game with much merit. Porter wasn't the only change, Lee Bloxham came in for Stuart Hendrie which gave the team better shape and also helped out the overworked Lee Darlison in the full back position.

There was little goalmouth action in a dull first half with both teams struggling to test the keepers. Ben Porter had a shot saved, Kevin Brookes had a header which came off the back of Darlison who new little about it, and Stratford forced a series of four corners in as many minutes but Coleshill defended them all well.

Stratford seemed to start the second half the more lively of the two teams with Jozsef Jakab hitting a left foot shot wide, Wayne Brown did the same from a free kick and Gary Moran shot over from a good move but Coleshill went the closest when a Richard Munday header from a corner was put just wide of the post by Matty Robinson but in an identical passage of play Coleshill took the lead on 57 minutes. Lee Darlison swung over a corner Richard Munday won the header and this time Robinson was on hand to force the ball in for his 19th league goal of the season. This pepped up Coleshill and with confidence visably draining away from Stratford a second goal was always on the cards. The visitors keeper dropped a Dance cross and Robinson's sharp shot was cleared off the line, then on 70 minutes Robinson hit a free kick around the wall which Sheils did very well to parry away but he was then at fault as he pulled down Porter who had snapped up the loose ball. Robinson stepped up for his second goal of the afternoon and 28 in all competitions, game over! Mark Faulds should have done better twice for Stratford but his efforts bothered the trees more than it bothered Craig Johnson in the Coleshill goal. The last action of the afternoon was a needless sending off when Kevin Spencer got a second yellow card for a foul on Coleshill substitute Neil Kitching.

10th place looks faily secure at the moment and the possibility of catching Causeway and Shifnal. The rest seem too far ahead. Tough games to come with a visit to Highgate on Tuesday and then Barwell to come to Pack Meadow next Saturday.

Team:- Craig Johnson, Richard Munday, Gordon Simms, Lee Darlison, James Dance, Keenan Richards (Stuart Hendrie), Simon Volante, Lee Bloxham, Ben Porter (Neil Kitching), Matty Robinson. Subs not used Lee Hunt, Tom Starkey, Dave Davies.

Attendance 102

From Stratford Town Web Site

First Team Match Reports
28 Feb 09 Coleshill Town 2 - Stratford Town 0 League


Coleshill Town - 2 - Robinson (2) 57 & 70 (pen)
Stratford Town - 0

With Town’s run in the F A Carlsberg Vase now fading into the memory the spotlight has switched to their efforts in the Aspire MFA this season which can only be described as ordinary at best.

Any hopes of a top three finish vanished long ago, and while the Vase progress was welcome it certainly masked the shortcomings of the current squad which were all too evident on Saturday as Coleshill became the first team to complete the double over Town this season with a workmanlike display which was all too much for a Town side seemingly short on confidence and inspiration.

Again Micky Moore shuffled the team after Tuesday’s drab effort at Westfields. Gary Moran took over at right back with Kevin Spencer moving inside to partner Micky Love in place of Michael Crawford while Simon Forsdick was handed a start in midfield replacing Loz Rawlings and Kevin Brookes came in for the virus stricken Matt Blair.

There was also a new “old” face in goal as Karl Lewis has returned to Bromsgrove Rovers and with Simon Lynn still troubled by a wrist injury Mark Sheils was brought in for his first Town appearance since October 2007.

Ex –Town players were well represented in Coleshill’s squad. Not only are they managed by Martin Sockett and Neil Kitching but their starting line-up featured Craig Johnson, Tom Brady Lee Darlison and Richard Munday, with Stuart Hendrie and Kitching himself on the bench.

The pitch was similar to Tuesday’s having recently dried out and thus being bobbly on top and both sides found close control difficult. Coleshill were first to threaten when Sheils showed his lack of recent match practice in the 8th minute by racing out of his area to challenge Ben Porter as he chased after a long ball and completely missing his kick. Fortunately Kevin Spencer got back to clear the immediate danger and Sheils had regained his position when James Dance eventually got his shot in after Coleshill had regained possession.

Shortly after Sheils did the same again but this time Love was there and forced Porter to run the ball out for a goal kick.

Town were not making much headway up front with Munday and Gordon Simms in dominant form in the centre of Coleshill’s defence although Forsdick showed some touches of class whenever the ball could be worked out to him, but Paul Hall seemed more subdued than of late and Joszef Jakabs’s scoring touch looks to have totally deserted him.

Nevertheless Town did give Coleshill something to think about just after the quarter hour mark when they forced 4 corners in quick succession before Simms was finally able to hack the ball away.

At the other end Spencer and Love were having their work cut out dealing with the hardworking Porter and the lively Matty Robinson who readily showed why he is currently leading this season’s Golden Boot competition, but even so clear cut chances were rare as most of the action took place between the two penalty areas.

Town had a glimpse of a chance in the 36th minute when Munday rashly brought down Jakab on the left but Brookes’ free kick was headed over by Spencer and then with half time approaching Jakab had a close range effort blocked after the Coleshill defence had struggled to deal with a Spencer long throw-in from the left, but to no-one’s real surprise the game was still goalless at the interval.

Half Time - Coleshill Town 0 Stratford Town 0

Town were brighter after the restart with Wayne Brown not far away with a crisp effort from the edge of the penalty area and then Forsdick and Hall combining well to set up a chance for Faulds who shot over, but they fell behind in the 57th minute when Coleshill forced a corner on the right.

Two minutes earlier Robinson had headed narrowly over from another flag kick but this time Munday won the header in a crowded penalty area and as the ball dropped into the six yard box Robinson reacted quickest to force the ball past Sheils for his 19th League goal of the season.

Town responded with Hall going close after a run down the left by Forsdick, but the goal had given Coleshill added confidence, and they sealed the points with a second goal in the 70th minute.

Town conceded a free kick 20 yards out which Porter bent round the wall only for Sheils to claw it away at full stretch. As the ball ran loose Sheils chased after it tangling with Porter in the process and perhaps harshly the referee awarded a penalty. Robinson coolly sent Sheils the wrong way from the spot and that was effectively game over.

From then on Town huffed and puffed but never looked like pulling a goal back. Forsdick faded as lack of match fitness took its toll, Hall was closed down whenever he was able to gain possession and Jason Moore - on for Jakab - made negligible impact

And then to cap a thoroughly dispiriting afternoon for the travelling Town faithful Town had a player sent off in added time for the second consecutive match. Already on a yellow card for disputing the penalty decision Spencer cynically brought down Kitching - who had only come on a few minutes earlier - to earn another yellow and he was on his way even before the referee had reached for his red.

Although this was Town’s first defeat in ten games seven of those have been draws, and Town continue to languish in the bottom half of the table which on current form is probably where they deserve to be .

TOWN : Sheils, Moran, Brown, Scott (Gasper 75), Spencer, Love,, Hall, Faulds, Jakab (Moore 67), Brookes (Rawlings 82), Forsdick. Unused Subs - Mowl & Crawford

COLESHILL : Johnson,Brady, Darlison, Munday, Simms, Volante, Dance, Porter (Kitching 87), Robinson, Richards (Hendrie 87), Bloxham. Unused Subs - Hunt, Davies & Stanley

Town Yellow Cards - Spencer Red Cards - Spencer

Coleshill Yellow Cards - None

Attendance - 102

Man of the Match - Wayne Brown - very solid in defence throughout

Match Stats

Town - GA 14 OT 3 HW 0 CW 7 FC 18 OS 3 YC 1 RC 1
Coleshill - GA 10 OT 5 HW 0 CW 4 FC 16 OS 3 YC 0 RC 0

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2008-2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest