Coleshill Town 0 v 4 Barwell

First Team Match Reports 2008-2009

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 4 Barwell

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 am

Saturday 7th March 2009
Midland Football Alliance
Coleshill Town 0 v 4 Barwell

Sunday Mercury Wrote
Barwell leapfrogged Boldmere into second place following their emphatic 4-0 win at Coleshill Town. Kevin Charley's early strike was all that seperated the sides at the break but two golas in three minutes early in the second half from Charley and Andy Ducros ended Coleshill's hopes. Jamie Petty rounded off the proceedings three minutes from time.

For the first time this season Coleshill were without leading goalscorer Matty Robinson. The everpresent in the previous 37 games was serving the first of a three match ban, Causeway on Tuesday and Biddulph a week on Saturday the other two games. On the plus side Damien Charie is now available on a regular basis after being restricted due to work commitments and Neil Kitching, through his vast non-league knowledge and contacts, had managed to pull in on loan Eastwood Town star Ross Adams.

The final result would suggest Coleshill were outplayed but this wouldn't tell the whole story. In an entertaining first half Coleshill matched Barwell, the only threat to Market Drayton taking the league title, with the football on display of the highest quality, a real credit to this level of the non-league pyramid. The visitors led at the break 1-0 but Coleshill were always in the game. However two goals in two minutes killed off Town's chances of getting a result and Barwell then rose in stature and proved to be, over the two league games, the best footballing side in the division.

Coleshill could and should have took the lead with a goal that would probably have entered the record books in the quickest goal category. From the kick off the ball went into Barwell's half and Thierry Mangwa-Batomen took and almighty air swipe missing the ball and leaving Damien Charie with a clear run at goal. The striker is in need of matches and a goal would have done wonders for his confidence but he couldn't have done better with a sweet strike that Barwell keeper Liam Castle did exceptionally well to parry away. That was the first of only a couple of saves Castle had to make and to do it in the opening seconds was applaudable. The chance wasn't over though and Ben Porter picked up the loose ball and was just preparing to shoot into an empty net when a goal saving tackle came in from captain Nick Green, who went on to be easily man of the match. The remainder of the half was even with some exceptional football on display but Barwell edged in front on 17 mins when Kevin Charley cleverly flicked the ball on from a cross that looped over Craig Johnson and into the net. Ben Porter shot from an acute angle but Castle saved again and Ange Lorougnon headed a Jamie Towers cross against the angle of bar and post the ball then bouncing down on the line and cleared.

Barwell started the brighter in the second half and kept good possession without looking dangerous but on 53 minutes Coleshill dallied and had several chances to clear their lines but Charley finally took charge and sent a delightfull chip over Johnson and into the net for his and Barwell's second of the day. Porter and Charie combined for the former to shoot wide as the Town front two worked extemely hard but with little effect against a big, strong back line that didn't mess about and got rid whenever the need arose. The goal of the game came on 55 mins and knocked the stuffing out of the home side. Great movement and passing across the pitch from Lorougnon to Charley and then finally to Andrew Ducros, left the former Solihull Moors player free and he picked his spot shooting across Johnson into the net. Seconds later and Johnson saved a Lorougnon stinging shot, and then dove at the same players feet, as Barwell threatened to run riot. Wether it was Barwell taking their foot off the gas or Coleshill playing for pride but the remainder of the half was played in midfield with neither side threatening the goals. Lee Darlison sent a right foot shot wide, Tom Brady headed over the bar from a Porter cross and Porter shot from distance but it was the visitors that added to the scoring in the dying minutes when substitute Jamie Petty's speculitive shot went under Johnson's body for No4.

Barwell will push Market Drayton for the title but time is running out to claw back the 11 point deficit, although they do have two games in hand. For Coleshill, today was an eye opener. We have come a long way but there is still a long way to go.
Joint Manager Neil Kitching said "In a cracking non-league game we were well in it for 50 minutes but a daft 10 minutes killed us. The difference was their finishing scoring four from maybe six decent attempts. Any one watching would have thought this was a top of the table clash but in the end their quality shone through. Players like Towers, Ducros and Green all have vast experience. They are the bench mark for us! They are where we want to be! But given time I'm sure we are capable of getting there".

Next up Causeway on Tuesday, still without Robinson but then a ten day break before the long trip to Biddulph as we are without a fixture this coming saturday.

Team: Craig Johnson, Tom Brady, Richard Munday, Gordon Simms, Ross Adams, James Dance, Simon Volante (Keenan Richards), Lee Bloxham, Lee Darlison (Stuart Hendrie), Ben Porter, Damien Charie. Subs not used Neil Kitching, Lee Hunt, Rob Evans.

Attendance 55

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2008-2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests