Causeway United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2008-2009

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Causeway United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Tuesday 10th March 2009
Midland Football Alliance
Causeway United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Causeway got their revenge for the defeat at Pack Meadow in November. It was 2-0 to the home side that game as well but United felt cheated as they thought they had scored a perfectly good goal that was dissallowed before Coleshill scored twice so seal the win. The same could be said of this game as Coleshill easily deserved to win this game but for some poor finishing and two moments of indiscipline from Craig Johnson and Lee Bloxham.

Coleshill could and should have been home and dry before the first sending off as early as 30 minutes. Ben Porter shot passed the keeper but his effort was cleared off the line. Stuart Hendrie sent Porter clear on goal with a clever lob but this time he dragged his shot wide. Hendrie could have scored had he had a left foot but he declined the volley in front of goal and instead tried a right foot flick that went backwards. Chris Field hit a looping shot over the bar and then brought a great save out of Craig Johnson after David Plimston did well to squim along the bye line and cross but from the resulting goalmouth scramble Johnson lost his cool and saw red. The Referee had blown for off side just as Johnson went down on the ball but Damien Whitcombe continued on and clearly stamped on Johnson. The keeper reacted and pushed the No10 who went to ground squeeling like a girl. A no brainer for the referee and no excuse for Johnson but just like Arsene Wenger, no body saw the malicious incident that led to the hand bags at dawn. Oh well, only an hour to go without a keeper! Richard Munday volunteered to go in goal, so not too bad, just an hour to go without a centre half!

So down to ten men this is where Causeway take charge! Not on your life! Coleshill went down the other end of a big, and getting bigger by the second, pitch and camped inside their box. Pin ball but no clear chance, Hendrie shot blocked and Porter shot wide. Porter then steamed away from the defence and passed inside to Damien Charie whose goal bound effort was deflected for a corner. Can't buy a goal between them at the moment but with their sheer hard work the break has to come soon. Munday was troubled for the first time as half time approached, Matt Hollis shooting straight at him then he better to save at the feet of former Coleshill player, Carl Hinds. Then the chance of the game when Porter seized on a poor back pass but with time and space he shot quickly and the keeper saved with his feet.

A quick Charie throw in at the start of the second half fell to Porter who cut inside and shot straight at the keeper. Munday did really well to palm away Whitcombe toe poke before the dam finally broke. A through ball was chased down by Carl Hinds and Munday came out to clear but his kick caught Hinds instead as the striker nudged the ball away, penalty. Sod's law who takes the spot kick, yes you've guessed it, the player who shouldn't be on the field if the officials were doing their job correct. But wait, Munday saves Whitcombe's shot, only for the ball to return to this lucky, lucky man's feet and at the second attempt Coleshill are one down.
Keenan Richards goes in the book as does Lee Bloxham as Coleshill start to feel the strain. Then Bloxham goes up for a header with Chris Field and gets an elbow in his face for his trouble, more hand bags and low and behold another red card. Only yellow for the initial perpitrator with again the scuffle seen to be the more serious offence! Nine men! We must get outplayed now! No! A couple of susbstitutions and Coleshill go in search of a point but just couldn't force an opening, a couple of free kicks that hit the wall and a Lee Hunt header going wide was all the reward they got for a courageous performance. With the lack of numbers it was inevitable that Town would get caught on the break and on 89 minutes Danny Priest got clear of the defence and shot across Munday into the net. Game over.

Managers Neil Kitching and Martin Sockett praised the brave effort of the few on the pitch and refused to blame the officials for the demise putting the blame fimly on the shoulders of the players who reacted so badly to incidents that occur in every game and they need to learn to rise above it.

A gap now due to no game saturday or mid week. Next the trip to Biddulph on Saturday 21st March.

Team:- Craig Johnson, Tom Brady, Richard Munday, Lee Hunt, Ross Adams, Stuart Hendrie (Neil Kitching), Simon Volante, Keenan Richards (James Dance), Lee Bloxham, Damien Charie, Ben Porter (Michael Campbell). Subs not used Rob Evans, Jamie Silver.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2008-2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests