Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Westfields - SemiFinal League Cup

First Team Match Reports 2009-2010

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Westfields - SemiFinal League Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 am

Tuesday 30th March 2010
Polymac Services Alliance League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Westfields
Coleshill: Chris Gumery 89.
Westfields: Scott Jackson 3, Phil Glover 52, Jason Lanns OG 90.

Attendance 39.

Report by Jack Arkell


Quite how Coleshill Town managed to lose the first leg of the League Cup semi-finals on Tuesday night is a mystery, as the hosts battered their opponents but came undone due to two set pieces and a calamitous own goal to make the second leg all the more difficult.
The game got off to the worst possible start for the Colemen, as Westfields took the lead inside the first three minutes, Scott Jackson heading home at the far post after a corner delivery wasn’t cleared away, the Coleshill defence uncharacteristically failing to command the penalty area. The response was very positive though, as chances rained down on the visitors’ goal. A neat interchange on the wing between Marvin Johnson and Luke Williams saw Matty Robinson inches away from connecting with Johnson’s low cross, before Rob Evans struck a sweet curling effort from range, ‘keeper Jon Pugh dealing with the effort well.
Despite this reaction, things would get even worse for Coleshill, as star man Marvin Johnson saw the red card just after the quarter hour mark, the referee deeming his kick out at an opposing player as an offence worthy of a sending off. Once again though, the hosts’ reaction to a set back was commendable, as they carried on fighting for their equaliser. Rob Evans saw another shot saved, before Leyiso Recci cut a shot wide of the upright from just inside the penalty area after Luke Williams had supplied the right back with a shifted pass from a free kick on the edge of the box.
Although Coleshill had the beating of Westfields in terms of territory and possession, the visitors threatened to double their lead just before the break when Coleshill skipper Jason Lanns gave the ball straight to a claret shirt, but the final product was put wide. Overall though, Carl Adams would have been disappointed that his team hadn’t found the net in a half in which they had the best of, and carried on in the same vein at the start of the second half.
When Westfields doubled their advantage on 52 minutes with another set piece and only their second shot on target it was made clear that this just wasn’t to be Coleshill’s day, the delivery from the right side footed home by Phil Glover at the back post in a penalty area devoid of marking and responsibility. A horrible sense of injustice filled the air, but Coleshill kept plugging away, in a desperate hunt for a goal to pull the score line back. Jon Powis came closest, his effort always swerving away from goal, but for all their build up play the Colemen still couldn’t craft out any clear cut chances. This was until a minute before time, when a loose ball on the edge of the penalty area was helped into the box by substitute Lewis Moss, Chris Gumery picked up the scraps to prod home for the much needed consolation goal to reduce the deficit.
However, in the space of sixty seconds, Pack Meadow went from a state of jubilation to utter despair, as a disastrous own goal by Jason Lanns now means that Coleshill must beat Westfields by three goals to advance to the final at the Bescott Stadium, the captain looping a stray ball over Craig Johnson and in off of the upright. There was to be one last chance for the hosts, as Lewis Moss almost set up Gumery again, but the big front man couldn’t direct a close range header underneath the bar, capping off a night of misery and injustice for his team.

Team: Craig Johnson, Leyiso Recci, Luke Williams, Jason Lanns, Rob Evans, Jon Powis (Rob Freeman), Andy Cameron, Ben Porter (Lewis Moss), Marvin Johnson, Chris Gumery, Matty Robinson.
Yellow- Porter, Freeman Red- M. Johnson

Taken From the Westfields Web Site

Coleshill Town v Westfields
MATCH REPORT - Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Coleshill Town 1 - Chris Gumery 89
Westfields 3 - Scott Jackson 3, Phil Glover 52, Jason Lanns o.g. 90
Attendance 39


Westfields made the best possible start to reach the MFA League Cup Final at the Bescot Stadium, Walsall on 11th May when they achieved a hard-worked 3-1 away win at Coleshill Town last night in a rain and wind swept encounter.
Westfields got off to a dream start when Scott Jackson headed in a right wing free- kick in only the 3rd minute to open the scoring. Richard Kear should have made it 2 before the break but his fierce shot flew inches wide.
After the interval Phil Glover slammed home a cross from Jackson to put Westfields into a commanding 2-0 lead before an 88th minute goal by Coleshill pulled them back into the game.
Westfields then threw men forward and got a vital injury time “own goal” when Jason Lanns sliced a clearance into his own net to give Westfields a most decisive 3-1 first leg lead and a great lift for the second leg at Allpay Park on Tuesday 13th April, kick-off 7.45pm.

Westfields: Moore, Moon, Cuthbertson, Sparey, Jackson, Jordan, J Addis, Hibbard, D Addis, Kear, Glover.
Subs: Green for Jordan 40, Edwards for Kear 80, Mussell for Hibbard.
Subs not used: Evans and Pugh.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2009-2010”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests