Continental Star 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2002-2003

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Continental Star 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:34 pm




Scorer: Mitchell Thompson.

Coleshill could not repeat the last weeks winning performance and slipped to a disappointing away defeat to mid table Continental Star. Having played Star over the years and experienced a hard working draw against them at Pack Meadow just six weeks previous, Town knew exactly what to expect. The home side get the ball forward as quickly as possible for their robust but fast forwards. They work really hard and are in your face from the first minute to the last. To beat them you need to match them with effort in order to earn the right to play some football. Coleshill almost achieved the former but were unable to produce enough quality to take the points.

Allan Thomas was absent again due to injury and his influence is proving to be a big miss. Dale Cately who was working his way back after injury suffered a broken leg playing for his Sunday team and will obviously miss the rest of the campaign.

The windy conditions favoured the home team in the first half and Coleshill found it difficult to get the ball to their front men, and when they did the ball came back too easily. On 35mins Stuart Howard was caught in possession after receiving the ball direct from his keeper. Richard Stack taking advantage and finishing well from just inside the box. Coleshill were hanging on at this stage as Star finished the first half and started the second well on top. But slowly Town came more into the game as they came to grips with the conditions. On the hour mark Mitchell Thompson had a great chance to bring the teams level but he snatched at his shot when he had more time than he realised. Nicky Fell, on as substitute for Carl Meah, nearly scored with his first touch but his snap shot went straight at the keeper. At the other end a Danny Moseley full length finger tip save kept Town in the game and from the next move Coleshill finally got their reward. A Stuart Howard corner was met by Christian Crisp, whose firm downward header was cleared off the line but Mitchell Thompson was on hand to toe poke the ball home. At this stage Coleshill were well on top and easily worthy of a draw and looked the more likely to go on to win the game, but Star regained the lead against the run of play with five minutes remaining. A long punt up field looked to be an easy pick up for keeper Moseley but the ball held up in the wind and a Star striker nipped in ahead of the stopper, he calmly squared the ball for Omar Henderson to score. There was still time for a Nicky Fell shot and a Stuart Howard free kick that hit the bar, but Coleshill could not find the final touch that their second half performance deserved.

Team;- Danny Moseley, Frank Woodburn, Lee O’Brien, Simon Bradbury, Stuart Howard, Lee McCarthy, Carl Smith, Matty Devine(Chris Gray), Christian Crisp, Carl Meah(Nicky Fell), Mitchel Thompson. Sub not used Tony Gormley

M.O.M. Simon Bradbury.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2002-2003”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests