Leek CSOB 0 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2007-2008

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Leek CSOB 0 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:30 pm

Friday 5th October 2007
FA Vase 1st Round Proper
Leek CSOB 0 v 2 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Neil Kitching, Matty Robinson.

Despite Leek's lowly league position, one win in eight games, this was by far Coleshill's biggest test of the season so far. The home team threw everything at the visitors from the start with a very physical approach. Chris Butler in the Coleshill goal had one of his busiest nights but was given little protection by the referee and will have to nurse several bruises over the week end. Town's preparations weren't ideal. A two hour journey on a Friday night, arriving only thirty minutes before kick off, with only two substitutes but fortunatley with nearly the same starting eleven which beat Meir mid week. Only Andy Sutherland was missing and this allowed for the return of the dependable Rob Hipkiss.

Coleshill started brightly but quickly realised this was to be no walkover, as after Danny Carter had a shot wide it was the visitors who had the better of the play. Michael Machin got down Coleshill's left side and crossed for Steve Plant who chested the ball into his path before shooting just wide. Josh McPherson and Richard Kavanagh had to be on top form as they were pushed all the way by the Leek forward line. Plant got to the bye line and Paul Rutter shot well but Chris Butler saved at the foot of the post. On 11mins and against the run of play Coleshill took the lead. James Dance, who had another influentual game, ran at the home defence before cutting inside and crossing for Neil Kitching who headed on for Matty Robinson. Robinson's shot was blocked but the ball fell nicely for Kitching who shot left footed across the home keeper and into the far corner of the net. Carter shot wide from a David Brush free kick before Rob Hipkiss cleared a header off the line as Butler flapped at a cross. Kitching was having some joy, all be it at the expense of some lumps and bumps, and he laid the ball onto Robinson who had a shot saved. Kitching saw a header go wide and the CSOB keeper saved at Robinson's feet as Coleshill looked for a second. As the half time break neared Leek had more of the play but their end product was poor.

Dance had a shot go wide from a period of Coleshill pressure at the start of the second half but it was the home team who looked the more likely to score the next goal. Sam Chatwin swung and missed and Rutter got to the ball just before Butler but as he turned to celebrate as his shot hit the back of the net he saw the assistant referee's raised flag for off side. Plant shot from distance and Rob Drummond had his shot well saved by Butler. Town hit back and Kitching fed Brush who's measured lob only just went over the bar. The best chance of the half came when Josh McPherson failed to win the ball and Rutter fed Darren Baker who should have done better than send his shot wide. Rutter was having a purple patch as he set up substitute Anthony Tarr but he came up with an air shot right infront of goal. Kitching headed over a Brush free kick then Butler threw his body infront of Tarr to block a goal bound effort. Coleshill were holding on but on 72 mins Matty Robinson gave them some breathing space. Both he and Kitching went for a through ball. One of them looked offside, but Robinson won the race, saw no flag, and calmly lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box for Coleshill's second. Leek continued forward as Plant crossed for Tarr but Hipkiss got there first at a stretch, then he and McPherson between them somehow thwarted yet another attack. Robinson should have put the tie beyond Leek as he had two good chances in a matter of minutes but it didn't matter as Town held out for an important win and another clean sheet.

This was by no means Coleshill's best performance of the season as they rode their luck for long periods but the whole team battle for each other and have got into the winning habit and refuse to lie down.

Team:- Chris Butler, Rob Hipkiss, Richard Kavanagh, Josh McPherson, Sam Chatwin, James Dance, Simon Volante, David Brush, Danny Carter (Liam Taylor), Neil Kitching (Ryan Gardiner), Matty Robinson.

The following report is taken from http://www.footballgroungdsinfocus.com/travellerstales

TT No.77: Richard Panter - Friday 5th October 2007;
Leek CSOB v Coleshill Town;
FA Vase 1st Round;
Score: 0 - 2;
Entry: £4;
Attendance: 34;
Programme: not issued;
FGIF Match Rating 2 stars.

As Leek CSOB (County School Old Boys) ground share with their more senior counterparts, Leek Town of the NPL Premier Division, home cup-ties can provide a problem. Both teams can't play at home on the same day so someone has to move. Naturally, this is the lodger, hence an extra Friday evening fixture.

The Harrison Park venue is a traditional non-league ground. Three sides have tightly packed covered terraces and the final side is overlooked by a tall stand and a few yards of steep terracing. Squeezed in between Macclesfield Road and Grace Street on two sides, a pub and a steeply built up hillside on the fourth. Add a few factories and distant moorland views and the scene is complete. To be scrupulously accurate Harrison Park is a traditional Northern non-league ground with a superb atmosphere, even with a handful of spectators inside. As such it is one of my top ten favourite grounds.

This FA Vase tie was no epic. Looking at the respective league tables it went to form. CSOB were lying a lowly fifteenth in the NWCL division two and Town were proudly atop the Midland Combination League Premier Division, both level six leagues.

The first ten minutes saw both teams rushing at each other like headless pheasants with each of them having good chances to open their accounts. In the twelfth minute the gangly Neil Kitching accurately placed the ball beyond the home goalie after a scramble in the box to give the advantage to the West Midlanders. A little later James Dance, Coleshill's number seven, hit a shot so high and handsome that it cleared the main road and the high roof of a factory on the other side of there. I doubt this ball will find it's way home until Monday, if at all! Dance's evening went further downhill before the break as he was booked for a foul. I am not one who likes to see yellow and red cards flashed around, on the other hand I am one who likes to see the rules of the game enforced. Deliberate handball is a bookable offence yet I believe Town's Richard Kavanagh commited this particular offence twice in the half. Once when he lunged for the ball when on the floor and again in an attempt to reach a corner in the Staffordshiremen's box. The first attempt saw the referee consult his assistant but not talk to the offender, the second was never considered infractional at all. Things like this can cause resentment in the 'sinned against' ranks if left un-checked. This was probably the spark which caused the home teams increasing trend to tackle in a more rugged fashion in the second half.

A private party was going on in the clubhouse during the match and it was either full of 'celebrities' or was in fact in the dress code of fancy. Johnny Depp/Keith Richard, Cat Woman, Bob the Builder, two sumo wrestlers. Darth Vader and Ace Ventura were all there. My professional curiosity was engaged with the non-appearance of Postman Pat, I was told that he was on strike! The thirty year dead Memphian, Elvis Presley asked me the score, I answered 0 - 1 and he drawled 'thanguvurrymurch' I asked if he was enjoying the party to which he politely mumbled 'uh-hu'.

Leek started the second half with the attitude that it was now or never. Furthermore, they had two pops at the Town goalie (Chris Butler) which saw Darren Baker booked for obstructing him and Paul Rutter for a foul on the unfortunate custodian. Leek continued to create the better chances but a combination of poor finishing and good 'keeping kept them at bay. In the seventy third minute Matt Robinsion beat the CSOB offside trap to run on and lob the onrushing 'keeper to put the tie to bed. I was virtually level with him and thought him offside, he looked to be caught in a trap, but what do I know, I put it down to my suspicious mind.

contributed on 06/10/07

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest