WE MEET AGAIN - STOURPORT SWIFTS

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

WE MEET AGAIN - STOURPORT SWIFTS

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 pm

WE MEET AGAIN – STOURPORT SWIFTS

There has been a football team in Stourport since 1882.Making them even older than Coleshill (by three years) and one of the oldest in the country. The name of 'SWIFTS' was given to it by the promoters, not really sure what this means but that’s the information I have! They played in the Worcestershire Combination, (now the Midland Combination) and the West Midlands League, before promotion to the Midland Alliance in 1998 and after winning the championship in 2001 were promoted once again to the Southern League. They managed to remain there for ten years before being relegated back to the Alliance for the start of last season.
This is where I’m a bit confused. Stourport’s web site states that the club was in the Worcestershire League from 1970 for eight seasons but the Midland Combination records show the Swifts in their leagues just before and just after the Second World War but there is no record of them during the 70’s! Strange! If they had been in the Mid Com at that time they may well have come across Coleshill who were in the Com from 1967 all the way through to 2008.
But in fact the two teams had never met before last season, as far as I’m aware! If you know different please let me know!

So, the teams met twice last year and have already met this term in the FA Cup and Coleshill’s record is atrocious to say the least! Three games all defeats, three goals for and twelve against and John Griffin has scored seven of them! He must love playing against Coleshill! Lets hope he’s working or gets lost on the way or something like that so we might have a chance of actually getting something from the game!

PLAYING RECORD

2013/14
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Saturday 17th August 2013
Stourport Swifts 3 v 1 Coleshill Town
Swifts: John Griffin 3.
Town: Danny Tymon.

2012/13
Saturday 9th March 2013
Stourport Swifts 5 v 1 Coleshill Town
Swifts: John Griffin 3, Jordan Jones, Lewis Pountney.
Town: Chris Gumery.

Tuesday 19th February 2013
Coleshill Town 1 v 4 Stourport Swifts
Town: Connor Leek.
Swifts: Dan Polan 3, John Griffin.

ALL TIME RECORD

P3 W0 D0 L3 F3 A12

Return to “First Team News”