First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Casey pleased with how Coleshill Town squad is looking

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:37 am

Casey pleased with how Coleshill Town squad is looking
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL manager Paul Casey says he is delighted with the way his squad is shaping up as they begin to step up their training.

Casey has set his side the aim of improving on their fourth placed position last season, but said his squad is not in need of any improvements unless a 'really good' player comes up.

He said: "I am very pleased with our squad. We have five or six new players and coupled with the promising youngsters we have, we are looking good.

"I am not looking to bring anyone else in unless a really good player comes up that would really improve the team who I cannot turn down.

"We have 24 players on our books and five of them are 18 or 19 year olds who are very good and look really promising so it is all about nurturing their ability."

The club are now two weeks into training and have officially named their new captain and vice captains.

Danny Tyman has been named club captain and Danny Douglas and Luke Edwards are the new vice captains.

Casey praised the side's new team spirit and the effort the players are showing in training.

He said: "Training has been going really well. We started two weeks ago and luckily preparation has not been affected by holidays.

"Matt Brown is over in America on a three-month deal but he returns at the end of July.

"We have been working on general stuff in training – fitness and working with the ball, getting our first touch back.

"What has pleased me is the team spirit and camaraderie of the boys. We have been watching some World Cup games together and having a laugh."

Coleshill's first friendly took place on Saturday against Sutton United and as Casey looks ahead to the season, he has set his side the aim of improving on last season.

He said: "Our aim has to be to improve on last year. The challenge we have is that in our league a team finishing in the top six has never repeated it the following season so we want to beat that.

"Last year we never left the top eight all year and we were in the top six after Christmas, finally finishing fourth. I want to be up there at Christmas and have a good run in the Vase and FA Cup.

"There is no pressure on me to win the league but I would like to beat last year's finish of fourth. It will be not be an easy task – Basford have got a lot of money and I think all the teams are even."

Return to “First Team News”