Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Gornal Athletic

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2567
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Gornal Athletic

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:34 am

Saturday 31st August 2013
Midland Alliance
Coleshill Town 2 v 0 Gornal Athletic
Scorers: Jon Powis, Luke Edwards.
Attendance: 62.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Danny Douglas, Dan Dineen, Jack Hulin, Luke Edwards, Barry Fitzharris, Leon Weller, Jon Powis (Nick Ellis), Jordan Archer, Declan Kirby (Jake Murrell), Connor Leek (Chris Cowley). Subs not used Ashley Bradshaw, Jake Allen.

Coleshill played Gornal for the second time this season in just seven games in a hastily arranged game due to both teams being knocked out of the FA Cup. Six goals for and nil against has been a good haul but Coleshill were no where near as convincing in this game as they were on the opening day of the season. The game started fairly even but Coleshill always looked the more likely to score with home keeper Paul Hathaway having a quiet day. Jordan Archer had a one on one with the visitors keeper early on and Leon Weller was having a field day down the right with a series of dangerous crosses going un-punished. Connor Leeek also looked dangerous and it was from one of his runs that Coleshill took the lead on 32minutes. Leek beat two defenders and crossed into the penalty area, Archer got to the ball just before the keeper and laid the ball off to Jon Powis who finished confidently.
With both Leek and Weller whipping in numerous crosses, Coleshill should have been more than just the one goal up as half time came.
As has been the norm in the last few games, the second half was a bit of a disappointment. Coleshill started to lump the ball forward and Gornal started to play some neat football, fortunately they had little up front to overly worry the home defence. Paul Hathaway did have to work a bit as he dove to tip a dipping shot round the post and then nonchalantly tipped an effort over the bar, but that was it. It was left to centre half Luke Edwards to make the points safe as he headed home a free kick from Weller on 71minutes. Sixth place after seven games is a fine return but the team is still missing a spark, maybe a goalscorer, and if they find it, a top five place is well within their reach.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest