Heath Hayes 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2567
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Heath Hayes 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Saturday 8th March 2014
Midland Alliance
Heath Hayes 1 v 2 Coleshill Town
Hayes: Own Goal.
Town: Danny Douglas, Dean Rathbone.
Attendance: 52.

Town: Paul Hathaway, Leon Weller, Will Worthington, Danny Douglas, Jack Hullin, Barry Fitzharris, Chris Lloyd, Danny Tymon, Matt Brown (Connor Leek), Ryan Nash (Chris Gumery), Dean Rathbone. Subs not used Oliver Casey, Theo Millwood, Elison Porter.

Danny Douglas and Dean Rathbone scored in Coleshill Town's 2-1 win at Heath Hayes.


You can't play well all the time! Four wins on the trot have propelled Town to the verge of a top five place but this game was not a classic, however surely the sign of a good team is to still win despite not being at their best. Coleshill's back five have been magnificent and unchanged for the last four games but Luke Edwards was missing as his wife had just given birth to a baby boy. An indication of the strength in depth in the squad was that Danny Douglas took his place seamlessly and was probably Town's man of the match.

The game had few quality moments as Heath Hayes dug in and showed some fight following some recent heavy defeats. The pitch didn't help as it cut up quickly with the ball bobbly all over the place. Coleshill even gifted Heath Hayes the lead on 15 minutes when a harmless cross was headed back to his keeper by Will Worthington but the full back found the net instead. The home side had the ball in the net again when Waple and Green combined but the latter was off side. Matt Brown toe poked past the keeper but Maddocks cleared off the line, then keeper Goodwin pushed a Ryan Nash effort onto the bar and out for a corner. Town equalised from the corner kick just a minute before the break. Will Worthington's cross may well have been going in but Danny Douglas made sure as he powered in a header at the far post.

The second half didn't get much better but Coleshill had most of the play and Hayes looked dangerous on the break. Nash had the ball in the net but again it was ruled out for off side. Hurdman hit a shot from fully 40 yards which went just over the bar. Coleshill had a great chance to take the lead when Danny Tymon released Chris Lloyd and his first time cross found Matt Brown in a great position but he was brought to the ground by Phillips, penalty! Unfortunately Brown scuffed his spot kick and the keeper fell rather than dived on the ball. Hathaway had to be smart as he dove at the feet of Waple and Danny Douglas stood tall to clear a goal mouth scramble as Hayes sensed an up set! Coleshill had relied on the long ball but it kept coming back but substitute Chris Gumery started to hold the ball up top. Town took the lead on 68 minutes with the best move of the game and finally a bit of quality. Barry Fitzharris sent a fine ball down the line to Tymon who made great strides into the box and when his shot was parried by Goodwin, Dean Rathbone was on hand to force the ball home. Phillips got to a through ball before Hathaway but his toe poke went wide. Connor Leek came on for the last fifteen minutes and almost immediately had an effect as his strong running caused problems. Green had a chance but his header didn't trouble Hathaway to much, but the stopper did have to save from Waple as he shot from 20 yards. Gumery almost converted a Lloyd cross in the dying minutes but Goodwin saved on the line as a disappointing game came to an end.

Coleshill have played really well in the last three games and will need to be at their best at home to Causeway next Saturday, but a win is a win and the run continues!

Matty Adams Wrote


Heath Hayes 1-2 Coleshill Town

Scorers: Heath Hayes: Worthington 15 OG’.

Coleshill Town: Douglas 42′ Rathbone 69′.

Date: Saturday 8th March 2014 KO: 15:00PM

Starting Line-Ups:

Heath Hayes: Ryan Goodwin, Harry Phillips, Adam Robinson (C), Ben Maddox, Tom Baggott, Tom Hardman (Alexander Scott 72′), Grant Winwood (Lloyd Dunit 52′), Liam Degville (Chris Geldart 46′), David Wadle, Thomas Green, Daniel Scraggly. SUBS NOT USED: Joseph Geldart.

Coleshill Town: Paul Hathaway (C), Leon Weller, William Worthington, Danny Douglas, Jack Hulin, Barry Fitzharris, Chris Lloyd, Danny Tymon, Matt Brown (Connor Leek 74′), Ryan Nash (Chris Gumery 62′), Dean Rathbone. SUBS NOT USED: Oliver Casey, Theo Millwood, Ellison Porter.

In the ever controversial world of football, there is a very familiar phrase that “it doesn’t matter how you do it, just as long as you win.” That phrase was no different here for the battling Colemen as Coleshill Town fought past a very stubborn Heath Hayes side to a 2-1 victory. Goals from a returning Danny Douglas and Dean Rathbone ensured Will Worthington’s earlier own goal became a distant memory. This away win now takes Paul Casey’s men to within a point of 5th place Causeway United, their opponents next weekend.

Prior to the game, The Colemen were stunned in mid-week when they were rocked with the heartbreaking news that Declan Kirby will be out for the remainder of the season after he suffered a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle whilst playing for Birmingham University. However, Coleshill were determined to pick up where they left off on their travels following a 4-1 win at Rocester by repeating this result at the Coppice Collier Ground.

Coleshill began the first half positively. Ryan Nash and Chris Lloyd both had vague opportunities in the opening 10 minutes but neither attempt put fear into the eyes of home keeper Ryan Goodwin.

Five minutes later, Heath Hayes were awarded a throw-in down the opposite end for their first real chance of the game. The ball was lofted in harmlessly and as a very nervous penalty area of players failed to pounce, Will Worthington eventually headed the ball into his own net to put The Hayes 1-0 ahead.

After falling asleep at the back, Paul Casey’s men looked for an immediate response and almost went level within two minutes of conceding as Matt Brown glanced a header just wide of Goodwin’s left.

On 26 minutes, Coleshill created another fine chance however this time, the pitch was to blame for foiling the away side’s attempt on goal as Weller smartly played a ball across to Lloy’s from the right only for it to bobble up just before the winger connected with it, thus letting The Hayes off lightly. Just 12 minutes later, Heath Hayes fans were holding their breath again when a stinging low drive from Ryan Nash went just wide of the keeper’s left as the scores remained 1-0.

Then just 4 minutes later, Ryan Nash produced a moment of brilliance with a superbly committed run leading to a half chance getting touched onto the bar and going out for a corner. The visitors then made the most of the corner as Worthington made amends for his earlier error swinging in a beautiful ball which was met by the head of the returning Danny Douglas at the back post to send the sides in level at half time.

In the second half, Heath Hayes appeared rejuvenated after a Simon Davies half time team talk as they looked to get back in front in this testing encounter. Midfielder Tom Hardman decided to have a gamble with the roulette wheel and tried his luck from 40 yards out however the ball sailed over.

Then on 58 minutes, controversy struck. Matt Brown was brought down in the area by Harry Phillips as the referee awarded a stone cold penalty. Having missed in mid-week, Coleshill’s top scorer was determined to redeem himself. However, as he stepped up, keeper Ryan Goodwin guessed the correct way and saved the soft penalty as Brown missed his second within a week.

On 69 minutes, Coleshill Town turned the game on it’s head and went 2-1 ahead as Dean Rathbone converted the ball home. The Colemen experienced wonderful build up play down the right hand side which initially led to a Danny Tymon drilling the ball low and hard to the keeper’s left however Goodwin saved it. Rathbone then put the ball into the back of the net on the rebound to give the Colemen a well deserved lead.

Then with 14 minutes to go, substitute Connor Leek went on a delicious run down the left wing and produced a fabulous drive only to be denied by Heath Hayes number one, Ryan Goodwin.

Following several minutes of stoppage time, Coleshill Town were finally awarded the three points as Casey’s men marched on with their fourth win on the bounce and their fifth win in their last six.

Coleshill Town are next in action at Pack Meadow at home to Causeway United on Saturday 15th March 2014 with a kick off time of 15:00PM.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest