Walsall Wood 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2567
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Walsall Wood 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Saturday 22nd March 2014
Midland Alliance
Walsall Wood 0 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Matt Brown.
Attendance: 69.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Leon Weller, Ashley Bradshaw, Luke Edwards, Danny Douglas, Barry Fitzharris, Oliver Casey, Ryan Nash, Daniel Holgate Matt Brown, Dean Rathbone. Subs Danny Tymon, Connor Leek, Chris Gumery, Nick Ellis, Jack Hullin.

Walsall Wood finished with ten men with Anthony Juxon being sent off in his side's 1-0 defeat against Coleshill Town. Matt Brown netted the game's only goal.

Report to follow but Matt Brown scored after 25 minutes. The game was held up due to a serious injury to Wood player Steven Hayles. A strong, quality performance against a rugged Walsall Wood.

Seven wins in a row is a new record for Coleshill in the Midland Alliance. 18 wins also matches the most wins in a season in the Alliance, and there's still 10 games to play!

A Match Report taken from Walsall Wood Web Site

Another blank 90 minutes for Wood
by The Wood


Another blank 90 minutes for Wood as another neat footballing display failed to penetrate a resolute Coleshill rearguard. A poacher's goal by Matt Brown on 26 minutes made it 2 defeats on the trot for Wood.
It was a lively start from both sides, Town won a left wing corner on 2 minutes courtesy of Dean Rathbone, the flag kick delivered into the box and Ryan Nash glanced a header wide of the far post.
Straight to the other end, Lewis Taylor Boyce played a neat through ball to Max Black on the edge of the D, he rode one tackle but under pressure rolled the ball past keeper Paul Hathaway and agonisingly wide of the left hand post.
On 12 minutes Matt Brown raced onto a ball on the left of the box, but under intense pressure from Lee Stretton he chipped the ball tamely into keeper Raj Gill’s hands. 2 minutes later from a right wing free kick Rathbone's first time shot was deflected over the box for a corner that was easily cleared.
Back came Wood, Taylor Boyce feeding Black on the right of the box, again his shot beat the keeper but rolled wide. 18 minutes saw Gavin Saunders and Black combine, Black laying the ball into the path of Jamie Hawkins to hit a first time effort just over.
Town's reply on 21 minutes saw Rathbone collect a long ball forward wide left, he cut across the face of the Wood box before firing a rising drive hopelessly wide.
2 minutes later it was Black cutting in from wide on the Wood right, his cross cum shot landing on the roof of the net.
Town took the lead on 26 minutes and it was Rathbone again, his left wing cross was hit first time by Oliver Casey, keeper Gill made a superb one handed save low to his left,Brown was first to react to the loose ball firing Town into the lead. They nearly made it 2 on 36 minutes, a ball over the top of the Wood defence saw Gill race from his box to fly kick clear – just, from Daniel Holgate.
The second half was initially a midfield stalemate, with neither side able to carve out a clear cut chance, until on 63 minutes scorer Brown was foiled by keeper Gill as he raced onto a ball over the top wide left.
Wood then lost promising 18 year old left back Steven Hayles, stretchered off after 69 minutes with what looks to be serious ankle ligament damage and he was replaced by Danny Rock.
On 82 minutes a slide rule ball through the defence by Black found Taylor Boyce, who went through one tackle, but under intense pressure fired wide. A minute later a central free kick on halfway found it's way to the left of the box, keeper Hathaway making a brave block at the feet of Craig Hancox.
Town had the last words, first Nash cut in from the right on 88 minutes, his low drive well saved by Gill. Then right on 90 minutes a misplaced pass was collected at pace by Rathbone, but for the second time in the game he sliced his shot horribly wide.
Wood again made chances but failed to capitalise on them and like Tuesday night paid the price to another team who will be in the shake up for the minor placings in 5 weeks time. Harry Harris is hopefully back after injury and suspension on Tuesday night at Dunkirk and Joey Butlin returns after his 3 match suspension when Wood entertain Champions elect Tividale on Thursday night in the Walsall Senior Cup.
Bill Shaw.
Walsall Wood F.C.

The Team: Gill, Hawkins, Hayles, Boothe, Stretton, Juxon, Hancox, Saunders, Taylor Boyce, Black, Gonzales, Rock, Aiton, Currithers, Swann, Coton.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest