Coleshill Town 0 v 0 Birmingham City - Senior Cup

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 0 Birmingham City - Senior Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Tuesday 10th March 2005
Birmingham Senior Cup Semi Final
Coleshill Town 0 v 0 Birmingham City - After Extra Time
City through to Final winning 5-4 on penalties
Attendance: 324.

Man Of The Match: Tom Weale (Coleshill)

Town: Chris Jay, Leon Weller, Will Worthington, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards, Danny Tymon, Tom Weale, Craig Milligan (Ryan Nash), Shane Benjamin, Dean Rathbone, Chris Hughes (Simeon Cobourne). Subs not used Jacob Wright, Deqwon Ebanks, Oliver Casey.

City: Nick Townsend, Josh Cogley, Mitchell Hancox, Charlee Adams, Wesley Harding, James Fry, Viv Solomon-Otabor (Kamal Guthmy), Liam Truslove, Denny Johnstone, Reece Brown, Amari Bell (Charlie Cooper). Subs not used Conal Trueman, Nathaniel Kelly.

Coleshill Town versus Birmingham City in the Semi Final of the Birmingham Senior Cup! Unbelievable! Hats off to every single member of the Coleshill squad, you did the Town proud!

Ok, it wasn't the Blues first team, but it was the stars of the future and at least three players have first team experience, the biggest complement to Coleshill was that they were never outclassed and took the game to the wire!

It wasn't a classic and there wasn't too much excitement for the best crowd at Pack Meadow in a quarter of a century but it was a full blooded cup tie which both teams didn't want to lose rather than one of them going all out for the win! Blues had the most clear cut chances, Liam Truslove sent a header from a great position wide of the post, Solomon-Otabor curled an effort round the keeper but round the post as well and James Fry shot over from 8 yards out! For Coleshill, Danny Tymon shot straight at keeper Townsend and a Chris Hugh's cross was cleared just before Dean Rathbone pounced.

Blues stepped up the pace at the start of the second half. Luke Edwards blocked a goalbound shot from Hancox, Adams headed a corner over the bar, Truslove sent a ball inside the full back and Cogley got to the bye line but Johnstone at the near post hit the side netting. Chris Jay saved from Hancox but Coleshill held on and finished the 90 minutes the stronger of the two teams. Townsend saved at substitute Simeon Cobourne's feet but the lively young striker was back again and this time he beat the keeper but not the post and then Johnstone had to come well out of his box to head clear just ahead of Cobourne! Full time and still no goals!

Benjamin's left foot shot was well saved by Townsend who hadn't put a foot wrong all night and was becoming more influential as the tie went on. The City stopper was out again bravely at Cobourne's feet, another fine save! Johnstone headed a corner wide and Jay punched clear a Truslove free kick but extra time was a bit flat as penalties loomed!

Coleshill came out on top in a penalty shoot out in the Quarter Final against Rushall Olympic, so they were hopeful of progressing to the Senior Cup Final! Blues Truslove took the first kick and although Jay got a hand to the effort, he couldn't keep the ball out, 1-0. Dean Rathbone scored 1-1. Hancox scored 2-1, Shane Benjamin found the net as well 2-2. Fry scored 3-2 but Tom Weale's effort was saved by Townsend 3-2. Brown scored for Blues 4-2, Simeon Cobourne was successful as well 4-3. Adams stepped up to win the game but Chris Jay made a great save diving full length to his right 4-3 and Ryan Nash levelled the score 4-4. Guthmy made no mistake 5-4 then Will Worthington hesitated, shot to Townsend's left but saw his effort saved! Birmingham City through to the Birmingham Senior Cup Final!

Unlucky Town but Well Done!!!!!!

A View From The Other Side
A match report from the Blues web site ... 27412.aspx

Coleshill Town 0, Blues 0 (aet) - Blues win 5-4 on penalties

Blues squeaked past Coleshill Town on penalties to reach the final of the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Nick Townsend sprang low to his left to save decisive spot-kick, from William Worthington, in a shoot-out.

Kamal Guthmy slotted in the first penalty when it reached sudden death and then Townsend broke the hearts of the plucky Midland Football League high-fliers.

After the sides failed to find the net in 120 minutes of hard-fought action, it all came down to who could hold their nerve and rely on technique from 12 yards at Pack Meadow.

Blues netted their opening three penalties via Liam Truslove, Mitch Hancox and James Fry before the first stop, from Townsend.

When Reece Brown then followed up by despatching the next penalty, Blues were 4-2 up.

Simeon Cobourne made it 4-3 and Charlee Adams had the chance to seal it for Blues, but Chris Jay made a fine save from his penalty.

Coleshill scored their fifth penalty to take it into sudden death, with Guthmy stepping up first to put the pressure on the hosts.

The whole night could have been a lot different - and easier for Blues - had Truslove not uncharacteristically steered a firm free header wide from a Josh Cogley cross in the 19th minute.

Denny Johnstone, on his return to Blues from loan at Cheltenham Town, brought out a smart save from Jay at his near post as Blues continued to threaten more in the first-half.

Fry blazed over after initially having a header blocked at a corner and, into the second-half, Johnstone couldn't quite adjust to get the ball from out under his feet at the front post after Cogley teed him up.

Viv Solomon-Otabor carried a major menace with his pace and dribbling, Brown showed his quality, but on a bobbly pitch neither side could trust a reliable bounce of the ball when in possession or knocking it about.

As the second-half wore on Coleshill came more and more into it in the attacking sense.

It was clear to see why they have gone 15 games unbeaten, winning 13, as they were sure of one another, well organised and then made more headway following the introduction of pacy substitute Cobourne.

Townsend had to be alert to save at his feet and, with nine minutes to go, Cobourne hit the post after forcing his way past a couple of challenges and deep into the Blues area.

Blues repelled a series of Coleshill corners before the semi-final reached extra-time. And at the onset, Townsend dived to his right to superbly push away a fierce drive from Coleshill's captain and prolific striker Shane Benjamin.

Blues tended to get bogged down the longer things went on and were unable to find that necessary knockout punch.

But they defended with great determination and not on any ceremony when required and eventually found a way to prevail via penalties, to set up a final showdown with either West Bromwich Albion or Nuneaton Town.

Blues: Townsend, Cogley, Hancox, Adams, Harding, Fry, Otabor (Guthmy 110), Truslove, Johnstone, Brown, Bell (Cooper 98). Not used: Kelly, Trueman.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest