Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Monday 25th September 2017
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United
Town: Dean Rathbone 2 (1 pen), Ryan Edmunds.
United: Conner Mooney, Marco Addagio.
Attendance: 160.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill) Aaron Brown (Gate).
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored By Greensleeves: Jorna Moulton.

Coleman: Paul Hathaway (c), Joe Pegg, Jorna Moulton, Rob Evans, Luke Edwards, Drew Aiton, Joe Halsall, Ryan Edmunds, Dean Rathbone (Liam Molesworth), Reece Leek, Jordan Nadat (Matt Gardner). Subs not used James Medford, Jesse Race, Sam Ford.

Highgate Utd :- Bradley Catlow, Trevor Edwards, Nathan Pulisciano, Richard Bryan, Scott Turner, Aaron Brown (c) , Josh Hawker, James Wilcox, Marco Addagio, Conner Mooney, Lei Brown. Subs Dwayne Courtney, George Curry, Corry Currithers, Scott Rickards, Karl King.

By Colin Wheatley

Conditions :- Warm humid & misty autumn evening, pitch damp, artificial surface.

Early exchanges , mostly in mid –field were even but gradually Highgate began to dominate as they started to string passes together and hustle the Colemen off the ball. After good exchanges between Hawker & Wilcox a cross from the latter was well met by captain Aaron Brown whose shot fell just wide. On 13 minutes the away side again worked the ball into the penalty area and a point-blank shot from Mooney drew an excellent save from Hathaway. For the next 10 minutes it was all Highgate who seemed to take advantage of their eight day break. In contrast the home side looked as if they had played a tough away game two days ago, which , of course, they had. Efforts by Mooney ( hit over the bar) and Hawker (shot wide) left the scores even. At the other end an attack by Coleshill on 17 minutes produced the evenings opening goal against the run of play. Work by Nadat and Leek found Edmunds unmarked and his first time volley off the outside of his right foot flew into the bottom right hand corner of Catlow’s net.
Coleshill 1 Highgate 0

The goal woke the home side up at last and the Colemen won a corner after work by Rathbone and Leek but no advantage was gained. Some strong running by Nadat got Edmunds into space again but his effort went wide off a defender for another corner, again well cleared by Highgate. Defensively Evans and Moulton looked sharp for Coleshill and these two players were heavily involved in preserving the lead. A powerful run on 21 minutes by Lei Brown was foiled by a strong tackle from Evans, who then popped up to deny Addagio by heading a cross back to keeper Hathaway. At the other end a run down the right wing gave Leek the winger the opportunity to cross but with no runners on the end the ball went harmlessly across the goal mouth. All of a sudden Rathbone had the ball 25 yards out to the left corner of the penalty area. His shot flew the distance straight into the top right hand corner giving keeper Catlow no chance.

Coleshill 2 Highgate 0

Minutes later Leek had space to shoot, the keeper making a good save to parry the ball straight to Nadat but his follow up shot was again saved by Catlow. A counter attack followed that needed Hathaway at his best to deny Lei Brown and the subsequent corner was headed away by Rathbone on 30 minutes. Two Highgate corners followed but both were headed clear by Evans, and a strong counter by the away side saw a shot by Addagio blocked by Hassall. On 35 minutes Leek made a good run down the left wing, his shot was deflected out for a corner. The ball was cleared to Hawker but Hassall took the ball off him and he dribbled the ball into the centre of the penalty area only to be fouled by Bryan, penalty to Coleshill. Up stepped the ever confident Rathbone who stroked the spot kick hard into the right hand corner to give the home side a three goal advantage. Two more significant chances then fell Coleshill’s way as first , strong interplay between Aiton, Pegg and Rathbone got Leek into space but his shot went wide of the right hand post. Then on the stroke of half time Leek collected the ball 30 yards out, beat six Highgate defenders up the centre channel, rounded the keeper but his shot drifted agonisingly wide of the left hand post - goal kick instead of goal of the season.

Half time Coleshill 3 Highgate 0

A modern football media cliché is “ a game of two halves”. For most of the second half the away side piled on the pressure, played most of the football and created most of the chances as the home side started to tire. On 45 minutes a Highgate substitute, on the bench, was booked, cause unknown. Catlow made a save from an Edmunds shot and Turner was denied a certain goal by an excellent tackle from Coleshill Man of the Match Moulton. Evans made another goal saving tackle on Lei Brown but the home side’s luck ran out as Mooney scored after 57 minutes, Lei Brown’s shot saved by Hathaway but Mooney was first there and was not to be denied.

Coleshill 3 Highgate 1

Shouts from the home support of “get out of the dressing room” were in vain as Highgate continued to put on pressure, and Coleshill seemed unable to get any forward momentum. Highgate were rewarded for their efforts as Addagio collected a rebound on the penalty spot and lobbed keeper Hathaway to make the score
Coleshill 3 Highgate 2

Manager Cameron Stuart was then forced to make two substitutions due to injuries. Molesworth replaced Rathbone and Gardner replaced Nadat after 70 minutes.For Highgate, Curry came on for Addagio on 72 minutes. Aaron Brown was booked for dissent. Then Jorna Moulton and Trevor Edwards both went for the ball resulting in an injury to Edwards (substituted for Courtney), but the Coleshill defender was judged at fault and was yellow carded on 75 minutes. The resulting free kick was cleared but almost straight away Evans conceded a free kick 20 yards out for a mistimed tackle on Hawker and was booked on 78 minutes. The last 12 minutes was frantic, end to end stuff as the away side fought for an equaliser and a very tired looking Coleshill resorted to kicking long to relieve the pressure. Wilcock’s header was saved by keeper Hathaway and at the other end shots by Edmunds and Leek were both saved by Catlow. Moulton attempted to put Leek through but his pass was too strong, and a free kick by Catlow was well taken in the air by Hathaway.

A very relieved and tired team of Colemen were as pleased as the home crowd to hear the final whistle.
Final Score Coleshill 3 Highgate 2

A dramatic and exciting encounter with five good goals and some keen encounters all over the pitch. Highgate dominated the second half but were just not accurate enough to deliver the killer blow and get the equaliser. Coleshill retain top spot and look forward to a five day break before the next game, at home to Heanor Town.

A Match Report taken from Highgate web site ... /0-3728274

By Neville Sawyer
So near yet so far for a Highgate side which pulled two goals back after finding themselves three behind at the break

Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United
Highgate gave a good account of themselves at table topping Coleshill but despite being on top for long periods went in at the break three goals in arrears, reducing the margin with two early second half strikes but lacking the final end product to come away with what would have been a deserved point. Town showed glimpses of why they are amongst the favourites for promotion, physically strong, quick on the break and having the confidence to shoot on sight, the visitors playing some neat possession football enjoying long periods on top and creating numerous half chances as well as surviving one or two hairy moments at the back. Both keepers were to be kept busy throughout, Brad Catlow outstanding for the visitors with opposite number Paul Hathaway his usual reliable self in preventing the conceding of further goals, Gate disappointed at the end result but with plenty of positives for manager Ashley Pulisciano to ponder over as after a run of six games on the road his side can at last look forward to a couple of forthcoming home fixtures. Richard Bryan returned to the heart of defence with Duane Courtney and George Curry part of the five on the bench, Gate starting brightly with Lei Brown heading on Scott Turner's long clearance but just too long for the chasing Marco Adaggio. After Connor Mooney had robbed Drew Alton in the middle of the park a foul on Lei Brown led to a Josh Hawker free kick hit straight into Hathaway's body, Catlow then in action racing off his line and out of the area to outmuscle Jordan Nadat. With his side continuing to be on top and nursing the ball well, Lei Brown was wasteful with a low drive struck wide, James Wilcock then crossing for Aaron Brown to head beyond Hathaway's right hand post .A Nathan Pulisciano speculative effort remained just that, Lei Brown setting up Mooney with the best chance so far fired against Hathaway's boots, Mooney following that by grazing the top of the cross bar from wide on the left. But with nothing having so far got beyond Bryan and Scott Turner at the back so Gate were to find themselves behind to a 17th minute goal scored totally against the run of play. Catlow made an excellent save from Nadat, Ryan Edmunds the first to react by hitting the twenty yard rebound low into the keepers bottom left hand corner. Pulisciano put Lei Brown clear for the chance of a quick equaliser a hasty mishit shot failing to trouble Hathaway but the hosts had been visibly lifted by the goal and with play now more evenly balanced doubled their lead in 25th minute when Dean Rathbone curled a twenty yarder beyond Catlow's reach and high into the roof of the net. To concede one goal was bad enough but to be two down after such a good start was somewhat beyond belief and things could have been worse when Catlow was forced into a brave double save from Reece Leek and Nadat. Aaron Brown hit a dangerous shot over the face of goal deflected behind for a corner and Lei Brown failed to get a touch following an exchange of passes between Hawker and Wilcock, Gate's play becoming sloppy but not deserving of conceding for a third time when a scramble in the box saw Catlow harshly punished for an alleged infringement seen only by the man in black, Rathbone tucking away the resulting 40th minute penalty. Leek should have done better with a shot despatched wide after strolling past half a dozen pink shirted defenders, Coleshill finishing strongly but flattered by the margin of their half time lead.
Coleshill Town 3 v 0 Highgate United.

Highgate faced what appeared to be an uphill second half task, but began in a positive manner with full back Vaughan Moulton defending well to get in ahead of Lei Brown at the far post. In 55th minute Aaron Brown cleared the bar from distance then headed Adaggio's cross into Hathaway's hands, a minute later patient build up play leading to a goal being pulled back. Hawker spread his pass wide, Hathaway parried Aaron Brown's powerful drive off substitute Correy Currithers' cut back, Mooney sneaking in to force the ball home under the prostrate keeper's body. Something to play for now, even more so when three minutes later the deficit was reduced to a single goal Hawker slipping the ball through for Adaggio to beat Hathaway with the gentlest and cleverest of lobs. Lei Brown looked to be clear only to be outnumbered by defenders, Aaron Brown curled a twenty yarder marginally high and with half an hour to go it was game on. Town counter attacked to good effect, Bryan twice getting in important tackles on substitute William Molesworth, Edmunds despatching a cross to the far post just too long for Matthew Gardner. Turner and Trevor Edwards both lifted balls high into the box with no one able to finish, Aaron Brown and Mooney then both having half hearted appeals for penalties waved aside. Curry was off target on the end of a Pulisciano free kick, Aaron Brown chesting down Bryan's long ball from the back swivelling just inside the box but well off target with the resulting shot. Although Coleshill were content to run down the clock time added on saw Hathaway smother an Aaron Brown header on the line and Catlow make yet another outstanding save from Leek, Gate failing in a valiant attempt at recovering from a disastrous twenty minute first half spell which left them empty handed at the end of what had been an entertaining contest.

Highgate United: Catlow Edwards (Courtney 78) Pulisciano Bryan Turner Brown A (c) Hawker Wilcock (Currithers 55) Adaggio (Curry 75) Mooney Brown L Substitutes not used: Rickards King

Coleshill Town: Paul Hathaway Joseph Pegg Vaughan Moulton Robert Evans Luke Edwards Drew Alton Ryan Edmunds Joe Halsall Jordan Nadat Reece Leek Dean Rathbone Substitutes: Matthew Gardner Liam Molesworth Sam Ford James Medford Jessie Race

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest