Coleshill Town 4 v 0 Coventry United

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 4 v 0 Coventry United

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Saturday 25th November 2017
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 4 v 0 Coventry United
Scorers: Reece Leek, Luke Barlone, Ryan Edmunds, Dean Rathbone pen.
Attendance: 154.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill) Chris Cox (Coventry)
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored by Greensleeves: Ryan Edmunds.


Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Jorna Moulton, Joe Cole, Joe Smith, Tom Fishwick, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, Luke Barlone (James Hicks), Reece Leek (Dean Rathbone), Gio Dainty (Anton Astley). Subs not used: Liam Molesworth, Chris Gibson.

United: Scott Dutton, Dominic Alleyne, Tom James, Gift Mussa, Kyle Barnett, Robert Prinzel, Lewis Rankin, Chris Cox, Mitch Piggon, Craig Reid, Jack Jeys. Subs Jeff Woodward, Aaron Opoku, Bobby Moseley, Brad Jones, Aaron Wint.

Tight At The Top After Town Make A Move

One point separates the Midland League's top three after a goal-laden afternoon. Coleshill Town returned to the summit by gunning down Coventry United 4-0. Reece Leek's goal split the sides at half time before Luke Barlone and Ryan Edmunds sealed United's fate. Dean Rathbone rounded off the scoring from the spot. The Colemen went to the top after previous leaders Sporting Khalsa drew 2-2 at home to Shepshed Dynamo.

By Craig Hamilton

On a sunny but bitterly cold day, Coleshill recorded a fine win over in form Coventry United to go back to the Top Of The League.

A long clearance by Paul Hathaway went over the head of centre back Prinzel but visiting keeper Dutton was quickly off his line to deny Reece Leek the opening goal. Hathaway saved well from a Rankin left foot effort from just outside the box. Ryan Edmunds got to the bye line and when his cross was half cleared it came to Joe Halsall who hit a rocket shot that was impressively saved by Dutton. Coleshill took the lead on 18 minutes when Ryan Edmunds dinked a ball in for Reece Leek. Leek cleverly held off his marker and when the ball fell nicely for him he volleyed into the net from just inside the box. Rankin sent a left footed free kick just over the bar from 20 yards. Jeys crossed from the left and Piggon headed straight into the arms of Hathaway, a great chance.
Half Time: Coleshill 1 v 0 Coventry

Ryan Edmunds sent a free kick just over the bar early in the second half then Dutton made another marvellous save from a left foot shot by Joe Halsall from 15 yards. Jeys cut back and crossed from the left to find Piggon all alone but his weak volley went straight to Hathaway, another great opportunity, and from that Coleshill increased their lead when Hathaway punted down field and Luke Barlone challenged the keeper as the ball bounced. Barlone still had lots to do but with the keeper stranded he side-stepped two defenders and rolled the ball into an empty net. On 75 minutes Ryan Edmunds picked up the ball on the half way line and ran at the defence. When he reached the bye line he cut back inside and calmly stroked the ball into the net, what a superb solo goal. With less than ten minutes remaining Coleshill made it four from the penalty spot. James Hicks saw his shot well saved by Dutton but the rebound came to Dean Rathbone who had his shot charged down by a defender with his arms raised. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Rathbone calmly stroked the ball home. there was still time for Hathaway to tip a Lewis Rankin effort over the bar and Prinzel headed the resulting corner well over.

After just seven days Coleshill go back to the top of the MFL Premier League as Sporting Khalsa dropped points at home to Shepshed Dynamo.

A Match Report Taken From Coventry United web site ... hill-town/

Well hello one and all. After another good result last Saturday with the 5-0 win at home to Long Eaton United. United today make the short trip up the M6 to take on strong title contenders Coleshill Town FC. They are currently riding high in the league standings sitting in second place just a point behind Sporting Khalsa. This game is potentially going to be United’s toughest test yet to verify their own title aspirations. In the two games United played CTFC last season, United were comprehensively beaten twice by a very well organised outfit who will I’m sure be out to continue in that vein.
United’s Manager Terry Anderson will have a near full squad to pick from but whoever gets the nod today I’m sure each and every one of them will know the importance of this game.
The Red and Green army are sure to be at Pack Meadow in numbers today making plenty of noise supporting their team to hopefully victory.
The referee gets the game under way and both teams start off a little tentatively as they look to stamp their own authority the game. United carve out the first half chance when United’s Gift Mussa tries his luck from distance but his tame shot goes straight into the arms of the CTFC keeper Paul Hathaway for an easy take in the 5th minute. United are looking the more adventurous side at the minute as another long range shot from United’s Lewis Rankin goes wide of the target after some neat build up play in the 11th minute.
CTFC finally get their first sight at goal in the 18th minute when a long punt up field sees the No9 Luke Barlone bring out a good save from the United keeper Scott Dutton to keep the scores level. With CTFC seemingly employing the long ball tactic at every chance, they were constantly being caught off side but sooner or later they are going to get through and indeed that surely happened in the 21st minute. Another long ball is played through and the CTFC No10 Reece Leek latches onto it and races into the area before coolly slotting the ball past keeper Scott Dutton for the opening goal of the game.
CTFC have finally broke the offside trap and made United pay dearly. United try to respond when they win a free kick in a good position only for Lewis Rankin to send his effort just wide of the target in the 25th minute.
That United pressure was short lived as CTFC start to impose themselves on this game. Another long through ball sees the No9 Luke Barlone slip the United defence before seeing his angled drive smash off the post in the 27th minute. Two minutes later in the 29th minute United create a great chance from a Jack Jeys cross that sees Mitchell Piggon head straight at the keeper when it looked easier to score.
With the first half coming to an end, both teams manage another chance at goal with the CTFC No10 Reece Leek shooting wide of the target in the 45th minute and then United’s Mitchell Piggon shoots at the keeper from a Tom James free kick in the 45th+2 minutes before the referee blows up for half time.
Half Time
Second Half
The second half gets under way with neither side making any half time changes. CTFC have come out with the bit between their teeth as they look to increase on their slender first half lead. They put United under some early pressure and the No7 Ryan Edmunds shoots just wide of the target from a free kick in the 47th minute. United are not giving up easily and press forward themselves in the 49th minute when Jack Jeys tries his luck from distance but his effort goes straight to the keeper Paul Hathaway for another easy take.
Another good chance soon falls to CTFC in the 53rd minute when after some good build up play the No10 Reece Leek breaks free and forces keeper Scott Dutton into making a great save to deny the nippy forward.
The first booking of the game is awarded to the CTFC No8 Joe Hassall in the 59th minute for a foul on United’s Gift Mussa. The game is starting to open up a little now and United break forward with purpose in the 63rd minute. Jack Jeys cross picks out Mitchell Piggon who heads straight at the keeper again. Then in the same minute CTFC instantly break forward themselves. The No9 Luke Barlone races into the area and keeper Scott Dutton comes out to meet him. The ball loops up into the air and as Dutton struggles to see where the ball has gone, Luke Barlone pounces on the ball and steers it into the empty net to double his teams tally.
Well that was a classic sucker punch that caught out United and I’m sure the management will not be happy with the way that goal was conceded. Both teams soon after decide to make changes with CTFC taking off the No11 Gio Dainty and send on the No12 Anton Astley and United taking off Jack Jeys and sending on Aaron Opoku in the 67th minute. More changes follow in the 70th minute when United take off Mitchell Piggon and send on Aron Wint.
Another yellow card is soon after shown to the CTFC’s No12 Anton Astley for kicking the ball away before CTFC decide to make another change themselves when they take off the No10 Reece Leek and send on the No15 Dean Rathbone in the 74th minute.
CTFC are looking good for their lead and go looking to increase it when the No7 Ryan Edmunds picks up the ball just inside his own half. He proceeds to run down the line with United’s Robert Prinzel in pursuit but his pace gets him to the byline where his skips past Prinzel and proceeds to run across the byline and into the area before coolly slotting the ball past keeper Scott Dutton for a fantastic solo goal to surely give CTFC the 3pts in the 75th minute.
Well that was a great bit of individualistic skill from Ryan Edmunds and has put CTFC right in the driving seat now with only 15 minutes remaining. United decide to make their final change of the afternoon when they take off Dominik Alleyne and send on Brad Jones in the 77th minute. Soon after United’s Lewis Rankin sees his angled drive whiz just past the post after some good approach play in the 78th minute.
With the game now into the last 10 minutes United are dealt another blow when the referee blows up for a penalty to CTFC for an handball in the area in the 82nd minute. The No15 Dean Rathbone steps up to take it and duly sends keeper Scott Dutton the wrong way to make it 4-0.
Now that is surely the final nail in the coffin for United in this game. United’s Lewis Rankin sees his shot well saved by the CTFC keeper Paul Hathaway in the 85th minute before CTFC have the final chance of the game in the 89th minute when the No12 Anton Astley headed over the bar from a Ryan Edmunds corner when it looked easier to score. Soon after the referee blows up for full time and United have been well beaten.
Full Time
In summing up this game I would have to say we were BEATEN BY THE BETTER TEAM. The game started and United looked to settle the best and carved out a couple of early half chances that went begging. CTFC slowly got into the game and their long ball tactics finally paid of mid- way through the half with a well taken opening goal that seemed to spark CTFC into life.
The second half was totally dominated by a very well drilled and robust CTFC side that United could not work out how to break down. CTFC continued to boss the game and managed to chalk up a further three goals to record a very impressive 4-0 victory that will surely have hurt all connected to United.
United for some reason were not at it today and although they managed a few decent chances they were not taken though it has to be said that if it wasn’t for a couple of great Scott Dutton saves the score line would have been a lot worse.
Players worthy of a mention today would have to be The No7 Ryan Edmunds for CTFC. He had a cracking game and was involved in almost everything CTFC did when going forward. His delivery from set pieces was excellent and he also probably scored the best goal of his career to cap off a great performance.
For United unfortunately I’m sadly going to struggle today as the whole team were way below the standards they have recently set themselves but Tom James stood out above most and defended manfully throughout during one of his busiest days in a United shirt. For me though my man of the match today goes to Gift Mussa. Gift put in one of his usual grafting performances and never gave up right till the end. He was good in the tackle and tracked back well even when the game looked seemingly lost so well played Gift Mussa.
That game has now gone and although the management will have things to dissect from it, the rest of us must put it out of our minds and focus on our next very important game in Bromsgrove Sporting in the FA Vase Cup. The lads will need to pick themselves up and work harder to bounce back with a performance they and we can be proud of. PUCU
Match Stats             (United) (CTFC)
On target                     (6)             (6)
Off target                     (4)             (7)
Corners                       (4)             (3)
Free kicks                     (20)           (11)
Yellow card                 (0)             (2)
Red card                       (0)             (0)
Offside                         (2)             (9)

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest