Coleshill Town 2 v 4 Bromsgrove Sporting

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 4 Bromsgrove Sporting

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Monday 2nd April 2018
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 2 v 4 Bromsgrove Sporting
Town: Liam Molesworth, Reece Leek.
Sporting: Richard Gregory 2 (1 pen), Jason Cowley 2.
Attendance: 940.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill), Josh Quaynor (Bromsgrove)
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored By Greensleeves: Joe Halsall.

Town: Paul Hathaway, Andre Gonzales, Joe Cole (Gio Dainty), Rob Evans, Exodus Geohaghon (Liam Molesworth), Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, Matt Gardner, Reece Leek, Joe Smith. Subs not used Dominic Cotter GK, Demitrius Smikle, Josh Bates.

Sporting: Reece Francis, Aaron Roberts, Jack Wilson, Liam Armstrong, Craig Jones, Daniel Morris, John Pykett, Josh Quaynor, Jason Cowley, Richard Gregory, R'Mar Murray. Subs Marcel Simpson, Bradley Carter, Harry Harris, Drew Canavan, Nathan Binner.


A packed Pack Meadow saw the best two sides in the league go head to head but unfortunately on this occasion Coleshill came out second best.
After Town took away Sporting's two year unbeaten Home record just a couple of weeks ago, the visitors looked nervous in the opening minutes. Town keeper Paul Hathaway had already saved a shot from Gregory when Matt Gardner chased a long ball which put defender and keeper Francis in a muddle. The ball came to Reece Leek who saw his shot scrape the outside of the post. This was a great chance and should have put Coleshill in the driving seat. It could have been two as keeper Francis fumbled a shot from Joe Halsall but recovered enough to parry Matt Gardner's follow-up for a corner. From a Ryan Edmunds corner a Exodus Geohaghon header and a Joe Smith shot were both blocked inside the six yard line. Joe Halsall chased down a back pass which made Francis scuff his clearance but the stopper made up for it as he produced a superb save to deny Reece Leek's follow-up shot. Bromsgrove however rode their luck and slowly grew into the game. Cowley set up Gregory but Paul Hathaway made a world class save but Gregory was back again to break the deadlock on the half hour. A lovely cross by Roberts was met by Gregory's head having sneaked in behind the Town defence finding the corner of the net. Andre Gonzales was clearly pushed in the back inside the box but the best he got was a corner and that was to prove costly as Sporting increased their lead on 38 minutes. Roberts cross was cleverly touched into the path of Cowley by Gregory who sent a cracking shot beyond Hathaway and into the net. It got a whole lot worse on the stroke of half time when a clearance from keeper Francis was chested down by Exodus Geohaghon but a slip allowed Cowley to nip in and he was off like a shot and powered his shot into the net.

Understandably the visitors eased off in the second half and Coleshill competed better. Matt Gardner's scissor kick went into the ground, a Reece Leek shot was blocked for a corner as Coleshill started to build some pressure. A Josh Quaynor left foot strike was pushed round the post by Paul Hathaway. Ryan Edmunds cut inside from the left flank and saw his bending shot hit the post but it was Sporting again that found the net with a soft penalty. Gregory fed Cowley into the box and he went to ground from what looked like a fair challenge from Danny Tymon. Gregory hammered the ball into the net. Paul Hathaway stood up tall to save a one-on-one with Pykett. Reece Leek wasn't too far away with a right foot shot. Coleshill were giving it a go and were awarded their own soft penalty with ten minutes to go. Reece Leek took it only to see Francis save the kick but Liam Molesworth was on hand to force the ball home. On 88 minutes a quick attack saw Ryan Edmunds' little toe poke split the visitors defence and Reece Leek ran on to the ball and finished with a smart shot. It made the scoreline respectable but it was too little, too late as Sporting took the points.

With seven games to go and Sporting now seven points clear it looks like the title is lost, BUT, promotion is still in Coleshill's own hands and a League Cup Semi Final to look forward to, so still lots to play for as the season comes to a close.

A View From The Other Side
A Match Report taken from Bromsgrove Sporting web site ... e-sporting

Not so much revenge against the team who comprehensively demolished Sporting 13 days ago but satisfaction at having won a six-pointer that now sees The Rouslers firmly at the top of the league with a seven point lead.
Richard Gregory and Jason Cowley got two apiece to maintain their combined goal-scoring tally whilst The Colemen got back into the game with eight minutes to go making final stretch a nerve-wracking experience for the 600+ Sporting fans who had made their way up the M42.
With most matches cancelled after the deluges of the previous three days, there were no such problems with Coleshill’s artificial pitch that suited both Clubs not to have any more matches postponed.
Sporting got into their stride immediately with Richard Gregory hitting a weak shot against ‘keeper Paul Hathaway’s legs in the first minute but the home side were a match for their opponents having the slightly better of the play for the next half hour; Reece Leek for Coleshill having the best effort on the 17th minute when he picked up Reece Francis’ poor clearance and his attempt from 20 yards was put out for a corner by the Sporting ‘keeper.
Gregory and John Pykett both had half-chances saved and as he got more into the game after sharing a nervous start with his team mates, Jason Cowley was showed good skill on 26 minutes but put his shot over the bar.
However it was Gregory who broke the deadlock on 31 minutes when Aaron Roberts floated over a pin-point cross from the right to the far post that the prolific striker nodded home from close range.
Four minutes later the away side survived a penalty appeal when Roberts looked to have clattered the lively Ryan Edmunds in the box but referee Mr Kidd ignored the shouts.
Three minutes after that, Sporting doubled their lead when again Roberts dropped a ball into the box that Gregory neatly flipped on to Cowley who was able to get behind the Coleshill back four and tap home from close range.
Sporting then completed a satisfactory first half with a third goal following Francis’ punt up-field that Gregory just about managed to control before sliding a pass to Cowley who again got behind the Colemen back four before burying his shot from eight yards out.
It was no great surprise that the home team came out for the second period more energised. Joe Halsall had the best chance on the 51st minute but his attempt from 10 yards out was blocked by Francis whilst 10 minutes later Francis tipped over a 25 yard drive from the same player. However Sporting gradually regained control of the game and on 69 minutes, Cowley was bundled over in the box by Danny Tymon and Mr Kidd pointed to the spot where Gregory made no mistake hammering into the middle of the net giving Hathaway no chance.
Not to be outdone Coleshill also got a penalty on the 82nd minute following a clumsy tackle by Francis on Halsall. The Sporting ‘keeper dived low and parried Leek’s spot kick but former Rousler Liam Molesworth was on hand to hit home the rebound.
That gave Coleshill a lift and a second goal came just one minute before full-time when Edmunds crossed to Leek who sent a low angled drive past Francis.
Sporting though survived the last minute and added time to gain not just a victory but a considerable boost to their promotion and championship prospects.
After the match manager Brendan Kelly praised his team for a good performance and deserved victory but added “today was a great step towards promotion we must concentrate from now on and not get complacent”.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest