Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Walsall Wood - League Cup

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2573
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Walsall Wood - League Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Tuesday 15th May 2018
Polymac Packaging MFL League Cup Final
Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Walsall Wood
Town: Joe Smith.
Wood: Joey Butlin, Paul Sullivan pen.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill) Keenan Meakin-Richards (Walsall)

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Joe Smith, Joe Cole, Rob Evans, Exodus Geohaghon (Joel Grandison), Danny Tymon (Liam Molesworth), Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, Matt Gardner (Dean Rathbone), Reece Leek, Gio Dainty. Subs not used Dominic Cotter GK, Demitrius Smikle.

Walsall: Lloyd Ransome, Lewis Hayden, Craig Deakin, Keenan Meakin-Richards, Chris Slater, Mitch Tolley, Peter Till, Andrew Westwood, Paul Sullivan, Tony Clarke (Joey Butlin) (Gavin Hurren), Jordan Fitzpatrick (Dan Okojie). Subs not used Nathan Walker, Callum McFarlane.


The last game, number 58, of a long, hard and successful season. In the ten years in the MFA/MFL, Coleshill had made the semi final of the League Cup three times, but this was their first Final. They knew their opponents very well, Town and Wood had met over 40 times, but interestingly only once in a cup competition which the Coleman lost. Both sides were after a "double" trophy haul with Town lifting the Premier Runners Up Cup and Walsall crowned champions of Division One.

Walsall started confidently as you would expect from a title winning side. Town keeper Paul Hathaway had to be quick off his line to pick the ball up off the toes of forward Clarke. Till had a shot from distance that went way over the bar but somehow he was awarded a corner and Joe Cole did really well to foil Clarke as he raced dangerously into the box. Coleshill responded with a couple of corners and from the second one Exodus Geohaghon's knock back found Gio Dainty whose homebound shot was blocked in the six yard box. Town came the closest to opening the scoring when a clearance fell to Reece Leek whose right foot shot from the edge of the box hit the foot of the post. At the other end Sullivan's turn and shot went just wide of the post and then Till went closer as his 25 yard shot hit the bar. Sullivan headed a cross over the bar and as the game went from end to end captain Joe Halsall saw his powerful header from a Ryan Edmunds corner tipped over the bar by keeper Ransome. The save was to prove crucial as Walsall took the lead shortly after on 31 minutes. There seemed little danger as Exodus Geohaghon shepherded the ball way out on the left touchline, but somehow Sullivan squirmed his way to the bye line and crossed to the far post where Burlington slid the ball home. A nasty collision between Danny Tymon and Jordan Fitzpatrick resulted in both players having to be substituted. I don't know about Fitzpatrick, but Tymon would be a big miss for Coleshill as he had been one of the stars of the season. Sullivan was proving a handful and he jinked in and out in the box but his left foot shot was easily saved by Hathaway. The same two players were involved again soon after as another Sullivan shot was heading goals are but Paul Hathaway made a quality save to stop the ball dead on the line. In the last action of a very entertaining half a Gio Dainty cross was heading for Joe Smith at the far post but keeper Ransome and a defender somehow between them cleared for another corner.

Coleshill would have been disappointed in the first half showing but as has happened many times this season they were much better after the break. Tolley volleyed over the bar from a great position early in the half and Sullivan's shot deflected off Joe Cole for a corner and Hathaway turned a Deakin shot round the post at full stretch. Coleshill responded with a Reece Leek shot saved by Ransome and then substitute Joel Grandison's first touch was a run and cross to Matt Gardner whose header came back off the bar. Joel Grandison headed a Ryan Edmunds cross straight at the Wood keeper and then on 67 minutes the equaliser. Fellow substitute Liam Molesworth's fine run into the box was passed on to Ryan Edmunds who advanced to the bye line and crossed to the near post where runner Joe Cole had arrived to slid the ball into the net. Game On! Sullivan shot over the bar from a good position but it was Coleshill who were in the ascendancy now. Another fine run by Joel Grandison took him into the box and on another day the tackle to stop him would have been worthy of a penalty. Reece Leek, Ryan Edmunds, Matt Gardner and Joe Halsall all had shots blocked as the Town piled on the pressure. In a rare break away Liam Molesworth did great to track back and put in a great tackle on Okoije who was ready to pull the trigger. Ryan Edmunds and Dean Rathbone combined down the right and Rathbone's deep cross found Joel Grandison at the far post. The striker tried to pick his spot but his measured effort went just over the bar. With ten minutes remaining Till powered into the box, passed to Sullivan who flicked the ball quickly on for Burlington who went to ground when challenged. PENALTY! Never! Sullivan, Walsall's leading scorer put the spot kick away. So cruel on Coleshill. The Coleman tried desperately for a second equaliser. Liam Molesworth shot past the post and a Ryan Edmunds homebound volley took a deflection allowing for an easy save by Ransome. But it was not to be and Coleshill ended up as Runners Up in two competitions.

Before a ball was kicked this season, manager Cameron Stuart's job was to gain promotion, so "Job Done". A first Cup win in 35 years would have been the icing on the cake. Now the hard work begins to prepare for a first ever season at Level 4. Come On The Coleman!

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest