Sutton Coldfield Town 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2018-2019

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Sutton Coldfield Town 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 am

Saturday 15th December 2018
Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central
Sutton Coldfield Town 0 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Matt Jackson.
Attendance: 142.

Sutton: Lewis Gwilliams, Ben George, Alex Curtis, Lee Smith, James Mutton, James Beresford (Francis Amartey), Mitch Clarke, Ryan Nesbitt (Okechukwu Onyeulo), Alex Moore, Max McNulty (Mathew Hearsey). Subs not used Steve Palmer, Daniel Hurst.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Kane Baldwin (Stuart Hendrie), Josh Webb, Mat Jackson, Guy Clark, Joe Smith, Danny Tymon (Nick Seabourne), Joe Halsall, Liam Molesworth, Amarvir Sandu (Ryan Baldwin), Gio Dainty. Subs not used Dom Cotter, Craig Deakin.

Matt Jackson netted the Coleshill winner after Sutton played nearly the entire match with ten men. Sutton got off to the worst start possible when Lee Smith was sent off in the second minute for an alleged elbow. A shot from distance by Danny Tymon forced Sutton keeper Lewis Gwilliams into a diving save. Sutton comfortably marshalled their defence but Coleshill eventually broke down Sutton's resistance when a cross in the 77th minute was turned home by Jackson.

It’s 40 years since these two teams met in a League game. Back in 1978/79 in the Midland Combination. Sutton were champions that season and the two sides have managed to keep apart since then. In a season of lots of travelling to new grounds this is definitely a derby game with just 12 miles between the towns. Coleshill are in 7th place, just outside the play off placers, with Sutton four points behind but with a game in hand, so nothing between them.
Lee Smith for Sutton was sent off for an elbow on Amarvir Sandu with 1.40 minutes on the clock. A Sandu run into the box and a left foot shot just past the far post, a short corner to Danny Tymon who shot from just outside box and home keeper Lewis Gwilliams saved at near post. And that summed up the action in a disappointing first half.

Sutton started the half well but the best chance came to Matt Jackson who hit the post with a left foot shot from the edge of the box following a corner. Stuart Hendrie’s bending shot went wide of far post. Mitch Clarke shot from 25 yards was not far away for Sutton. On 77 minutes a Joe Smith corner was half cleared, Stuart Hendrie crossed into a crowded 6 yard box and Matt Jackson slotted the ball under the keeper with his rarely used right foot. In awful conditions Sutton tried to push Coleshill back but the visitors defence held firm. Jon Letford had Sutton’s best two chances. A lobbing left foot shot in the box but Coleshill keeper Paul Hathaway caught easily and after a scramble in the box Letford’s shot came off Hathaway’s chest.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2018-2019”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest